Home General Fishing

Best Popping Style Inshore stick

congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
Hey guys, question for you - a friend of mine is looking for a "popping" style inshore rod and I don't fish them much so haven't been much help. Does anyone have a favorite popping style inshore stick? He'd probably just be throwing DOA CALs and Spook JRs.

Thanks for your input

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    I throw CALS every day...on a 7 M Calico Jack..... but you can spend a lot more money.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I throw CALS every day...on a 7 M Calico Jack..... but you can spend a lot more money.

I honestly don't know what his budget is. I think he's just looking for a Moderate action rod that loads up well enough to launch a CAL over the flats but still have backbone.
    I honestly don't know what his budget is. I think he's just looking for a Moderate action rod that loads up well enough to launch a CAL over the flats but still have backbone.

Well.... If he wants to spend more money..... I like Star, and St Croix but I don't know that the rods are really worth the extra $75.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 476 Deckhand
    what do you mean by popping? over here in Tx., that would mean a popping cork rod. a 7' or 7-1/2' med action rod works real good for chunkin popping corks.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    what do you mean by popping? over here in Tx., that would mean a popping cork rod. a 7' or 7-1/2' med action rod works real good for chunkin popping corks.

An inshore rod that has a moderate/soft action resulting in more leverage with light baits.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    my standard answer Teramar 7.5 MH spinning rod $ 4 $ there's no better rod my .02
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,003 Admiral
    Ugly Stik Inshore 6'6'
    Fast tip and all the Backbone you need ...bout $50 bucks.
    You got to have good Backbone on the Rod where your trying to set the hook and you have to drag that Popping Cork first to do it.
    I Rip lips when the Cork is out...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I just bought a 7'4" 6-14# Teramar for casting med size un weighted shrimp and am very impressed.

The whole series of rods seem very easy to load with light baits including my 8' xh
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    spinning rod ? budget ? I was wondering the same thing smooth move said. a greenwater loads up like crazy.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    The new plasmas have a nice soft tip, ayoooo
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Congoman 775 ........
    You have been on this form a long time !!
    An have givin me GREAT advice in the past !! ( thanx )
    So here is a little for you !! For my birthday my wife
    bought me a ugly stick called a intercoastal an ever
    since this has been a absoult "go to " rod !! for this style
    of fishin !! Check it out !! Mine is a medium action 7 foot !!
    You wont be sorry !! Great rod for a great price !! $ 48.00 !!
  • CameronCameron Posts: 208 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »

We use this rod for freelining white bait, popping corks and artificials of all sorts including DOA. We have hauled up just about every major inshore fish species on them and they have held up to some big hard hitters as well. Great rod that can be found around $55. IMO there isn't a better value pick out there as this rod holds up as well as rods costing three times as much and has plenty of backbone... it even loads up for longer casts well.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 553 Officer
    I have a great rod for that, actually two of them. GLoomis LR842S "live bait rods". 7' medium 8-17lb, moderate-fast action. 3/8 - 1.5oz lures. They are a GL2 blank, light, with plenty of backbone... My daughter landed a 3.5-4ft shark on it two weeks ago.

GLoomis makes a similar rod in the Greenwater but I don't like it near as well. I've started using it for topwaters like spooks more than my fast action St Croix Avid.

Cost is $195 at Bass Pro so they are not cheap. Can sometimes be found for less.
  • LB200LB200 Posts: 298 Officer
    I can not remember the numbers but I have numerous Falcons that I use for all types of baits. They are reasonably priced and last a long time.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Congoman 775 ........

Their Inshore Select is also an awesome rod for $50. It has a great balance of strong backbone and soft tip, foul proof stripper guide, split eva grip. It gives a little away in weight and some sensitivity to some of the graphite rods, but I'm sure it makes up for it in durability, and definitely price.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Ulgy stick inshore select !!!
    Im goin to check it out !!
    Appreciate it !!
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    I agree with this statement most would over look an Ugly Stik Intercoastal
    They are in fact great rods for a excellent price
    Congoman 775 ........
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    Cameron wrote: »
    We use this rod for freelining white bait, popping corks and artificials of all sorts including DOA. We have hauled up just about every major inshore fish species on them and they have held up to some big hard hitters as well. Great rod that can be found around $55. IMO there isn't a better value pick out there as this rod holds up as well as rods costing three times as much and has plenty of backbone... it even loads up for longer casts well.

Pull the $10 coupon out of the FRESHWATER Regulations booklet from **** and you bought a great rod for 40 something bucks....
    I waited till they had them on sale for 49.99.... bought two rods ( 7 & 7.5) for 80 bucks
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Thanks guys, lot of good info here.
    johnD wrote: »
    spinning rod ? budget ? I was wondering the same thing smooth move said. a greenwater loads up like crazy.

His budget is $250, so pretty much anything. Greenwater is a good pick. Also I saw Avid Inshore makes a 7' Moderate.
    superduper wrote: »
    The new plasmas have a nice soft tip, ayoooo

Hot **** diggity, not bad looking either.
    Congoman 775 ........

Thanks man! I'll pass that advice through and check out those sticks.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,097 Officer
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    I have a great rod for that, actually two of them. GLoomis LR842S "live bait rods". 7' medium 8-17lb, moderate-fast action. 3/8 - 1.5oz lures. They are a GL2 blank, light, with plenty of backbone... My daughter landed a 3.5-4ft shark on it two weeks ago.

GLoomis makes a similar rod in the Greenwater but I don't like it near as well. I've started using it for topwaters like spooks more than my fast action St Croix Avid.

Cost is $195 at Bass Pro so they are not cheap. Can sometimes be found for less.

The GL2 is a fine rod for this application. I've had mine for about 8 or 9 years and it is still a go to rod when casting heavier lures and tossing big chunks of ladyfish. Sometimes I think it may be overwhelming on smaller fish but....that is where the Teramar comes in. as mentioned earlier here, the 7'4" med is great for throwing soft plastics and lighter plugs, but has a fast action. The GL2 has a mod action. pricey, but worth it. the teramar is half the price and has caught twice as many fish (probably cause I fish it w/ 10 or 15 lb braid)