4/21 Crystal River topwater snookin

Finally a non windy day out there. It seems like it's been blowing like crazy every time I can go.
Hammerhead Ted and I got out there early to catch the outgoing tide. Ted is the king of topwater snookin and he hooked a giant one on his 3rd or 4th cast. He fought it for a long time but it scraped his 40 lb leader up and broke off:banghead

A cast or two later another snook hits his topwater 4 times before he hooks it up. He's got the magic topwater bait cause they seem to only hit mine once:wink

We move and I get a nice snook on but it comes unbuttoned. A few minutes later Ted gets a blowup and the battle is on. This was a pretty strong snook. Ted gets him in but it barely fits in the net. It was around 37"

The action slows down so we decide to try for a few trout. We start throwing mirrodines and bam Ted hooks another snook. This one was smaller but to get 3 in a day was great.

I ended up doing Billie's job of photographer and netter on the snook. But I did get some action with jacks and trout.

Replies

• anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 639 Officer
    This is getting ridiculous! I want to catch some snook! I need to go with you guys sometime I would say I'd take Yall but I don't have nice flats boats with trolling motors lol I'm getting really jealous watching ted catch all these monster snook! Where's yours Gary??? Awesome job Ted
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Practice makes perfect, I think I need more practice.... Awesome fish guys....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,887 Moderator
    No complaints on a day like that. Awesome seeing the strike.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,703 Captain
    Biggary16 wrote: »

I ended up doing Billie's job of photographer and netter on the snook. But I did get some action with jacks and trout.

And a fine job you did too. :) Hang in there and one of those elusive snooks is going to be yours. Oh...nice job Ted.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    This is getting ridiculous! I want to catch some snook! I need to go with you guys sometime I would say I'd take Yall but I don't have nice flats boats with trolling motors lol I'm getting really jealous watching ted catch all these monster snook! Where's yours Gary??? Awesome job Ted

I know I'm overdue to get a big one. He's got the magic touch. He even saved his best spot for me. He sat back and had a cigar but no giant snook for me. I'll get one next time.
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 370 Deckhand
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    Ted gets him in but it barely fits in the net. It was around 37"

Looks like you need a Ruff sized net!
    20140318_102502_zps32nlz6hf.jpg
    It's close, but I'm betting she's more than 40". :grin :rotflmao

Great work guys! I'm eager to catch my first slob of a snook, the little ones are fun, but those.... I WANT!!!!

:thumbsup
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,820 Captain
    Another awesome day for the King of Topwater Snukin!!! If I didn't need a silly little part for my outboard> I'd be out there today!! What a day it is today to be out fishin!! I hope someone is out there enjoying this day? Then again> They never seem to bite good for me on these perfect weather days????
    Great job on landing those Snukes Gize!!! Gary> don't feel so all alone, you ain't the only one who ain't catching Dem Snukez this year> YET!!!!!!! Just like Arnold> I'll be Bock!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,240 Officer
    We had a fun morning with great weather. Mostly overcast, comfortable temp, very light wind and strong tide was the rule of the day. I was definitely more lucky than Gary. My wife says that I seem to move the boat at the most inoportune times for the other anglers in the boat. I try not to but I am inpatient and probably move a little too much/often. From years of bass fishing, Gary is a skilled caster and knows how to work lures, but seems snake bit at times in the luck department. There is always next time.....I can hear them calling now.
    Love that Ruff sized net! I can keep control of my grandkids with it too!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Ted must have an extra bone in his finger or sumthin. He could catch monster snook just about anywhere.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Nice fish. I was out giving it heck on the incoming tide. Not a bite. Maybe I'm fishing the wrong tide. There was so much water moving in I fished up Masons Creek, it was like being on a water slide.
    Not a fan of big tides. Sometimes there is so much water moving that Jacks won't even stay in it, let alone Snook. I prefer outgoing in general, but there are places that are much better on incoming. Pick the places you fish by the tides if possible.
    Nice fish. I was out giving it heck on the incoming tide. Not a bite. Maybe I'm fishing the wrong tide. There was so much water moving in I fished up Masons Creek, it was like being on a water slide.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 924 Officer
    Nice work guys! Teds really got that top water snook thing down!
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 615 Officer
    Great catching guys. and congrats on making the front page. Way to go!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,950 Captain
    Oh, my favorite pic. Yes, you will be able to fit any of those snook in that net. If Ted keeps getting bigger and bigger snook, he will need it. Yes, it will handle grandkids also!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice HT those are some trophys!