Home General Fishing

Stradic 3000fi vs Saros 3000fa?

Serpent710Serpent710 Posts: 205 Officer
Looking for a do it all inshore to throwing pompano jigs on the beach (all saltwater applications). Which of these 2 reels would you go with? How is the fi in salt water?

Thanks!
References: triumphrick, 1love, MAVERICK16'10", Sails and Tails, Gatorman, Bottombouncer, onICE

Replies

• superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    serviced an FI the other day. pretty nice reel, used to have a saros FA, i liked that reel, id just about call them even, whichever one is a better price!
  • CameronCameron Posts: 208 Deckhand
    The Saros 3000F (silver and gold) is one of the better bang for the buck reels out there and one of my favorite all time reels. The 3000FA (black and silver) was redesigned and they screwed up by putting the bell closer to the rod. The bell on the 3000FA model actually thumps my fingers when holding the rod.

The Stradic is considered by many as the gold standard of inshore reels. It a very common high quality reel purchased by a lot of anglers and I have seen them used by several commercial guides. The Stradic is a pain to reassemble but it is a rock solid piece of gear in my experience.

Both tend to need line roller bearing changes every season and sometimes sooner. My 3000F reels have needed two in one season before but we do fish nearly every week.
  • Serpent710Serpent710 Posts: 205 Officer
    Cameron wrote: »
    The Saros 3000F (silver and gold) is one of the better bang for the buck reels out there and one of my favorite all time reels. The 3000FA (black and silver) was redesigned and they screwed up by putting the bell closer to the rod. The bell on the 3000FA model actually thumps my fingers when holding the rod.

The Stradic is considered by many as the gold standard of inshore reels. It a very common high quality reel purchased by a lot of anglers and I have seen them used by several commercial guides. The Stradic is a pain to reassemble but it is a rock solid piece of gear in my experience.

Both tend to need line roller bearing changes every season and sometimes sooner. My 3000F reels have needed two in one season before but we do fish nearly every week.

Perfect, just picked up the 3000FI! Thank you!
    References: triumphrick, 1love, MAVERICK16'10", Sails and Tails, Gatorman, Bottombouncer, onICE
    ahhhhh, sorry, thought the F was the FA, saros F is great, FA, not so much imo

whenever i get a new reel, one of the first things i do is take apart the line roller, oil the bearing, and put grease on both sides of it for piece of mind. i can't stand soiled line roller bearings.
    superduper wrote: »
    ahhhhh, sorry, thought the F was the FA, saros F is great, FA, not so much imo

whenever i get a new reel, one of the first things i do is take apart the line roller, oil the bearing, and put grease on both sides of it for piece of mind. i can't stand soiled line roller bearings.

Will be doing the oiling and grease as soon as I get it. Also what rod would you recommend? I'm thinking a very light teramar for both the lifetime warranty and to have a nice fight on smaller fish like pompano etc. about $125 for the rod
    taramars are nice, bit heavy i would say, but good rods, good components. check out the compre rod also, runs about the same price, but lighter. can't go wrong with a star stellar lite in that price range. falcon originals are nice, in that price range and made in the ussa.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Weren't the (falcon's) inshores known for tiny rod tips? Since most of you tie stupid knots.
    Alright so just got back from ****. Half of the teramars had the plastic wrap removed with no warranty information and the others said "one year warranty" what happened to the lifetime warranty?? Loved the rod though felt great
    shimano did away with the lifetime, too many idiots like me returning *****. they just have a one year now. that shouldn't deter you, i don't think anyone has a lifetime. maybe get an ugly stick? they have a 7 year.
    i don't know about falcon inshore. you talking about the a salt? or the coastal? i don't think any of them have extra small tips, they always seem standard to me. the original is definitely standard.
    superduper wrote: »
    shimano did away with the lifetime, too many idiots like me returning *****. they just have a one year now. that shouldn't deter you, i don't think anyone has a lifetime. maybe get an ugly stick? they have a 7 year.
    i don't know about falcon inshore. you talking about the a salt? or the coastal? i don't think any of them have extra small tips, they always seem standard to me. the original is definitely standard.

Thanks for clarifying. I saw the redbone by hurricane has a lifetime warranty but I'm sure there is some type of fine print to that. I loved the way the teramar felt going to check bass pro and pick one up that actually has the plastic wrap and warranty info unlike the rods at ****.
    I use Hurricane Calico Jack 7' MH rods and they are the best bang for buck rod out there IMO. It has a fast tip, light rod and plenty of backbone. I just pulled a big jack up on one Thursday that ripped my nearly locked down 4000 drag for a while. My fishing buddy uses a Falcon 7'6" and it is about the same. I have fished some expensive Loomis and Shimano rods that were very nice but never could justify the price. The Hurricane Redbone has a little less flex compared to my Calico... similar to the Falcon or a TFO Inshore but they feel similar when casting/catching.

Seems a bit strange to me to stick a $150 reel on a $50 rod, but I do it and I have not regretted it yet. I see little point in spending much more than $100 on a rod given the quality rods in that price range.
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    I still have old green Penn spinning reels that were made long before most of you were born......and not a ball bearing in any of them.

...and other than wearing out the brass bushings and a few bail springs.....not a one of them has ever failed me.

Yea...I know.... I'm just some old guy who's opinion might not mean much these days, but for my birthday some years back I got a spiffy 9000 ball bearing reel that lasted exactly 2 trips offshore and I went to the tackle store....with reel in hand....and told them if they ever "fleeced" my old lady ever again.....that weekly stipend that they got from me would cease immediately...

That reel was over $700 bucks....
  • jcbonejcbone Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Cameron wrote: »
    I use Hurricane Calico Jack 7' MH rods and they are the best bang for buck rod out there IMO. It has a fast tip, light rod and plenty of backbone. I just pulled a big jack up on one Thursday that ripped my nearly locked down 4000 drag for a while. My fishing buddy uses a Falcon 7'6" and it is about the same. I have fished some expensive Loomis and Shimano rods that were very nice but never could justify the price. The Hurricane Redbone has a little less flex compared to my Calico... similar to the Falcon or a TFO Inshore but they feel similar when casting/catching.

Seems a bit strange to me to stick a $150 reel on a $50 rod, but I do it and I have not regretted it yet. I see little point in spending much more than $100 on a rod given the quality rods in that price range.

Hurricane Redbone rods are really nice and is my go to rod for inshore fishing. I have the 7 foot 8-17lbs rated rod paired up with a 3000 symetre and it's my favorite setup. Great bang for your buck and the lifetime warranty is legit. My dad broke my first redbone and it took only a week to receive a brand new one to my door. Would definitely recommend them, I feel that they are very underrated rods.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,070 AG
    I would pull that $10 off coupon out of the freshwater regulations booklet and go get a Calico Jack 7' M or MH at ****....and keep $75 in my pocket.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Flanative78Flanative78 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Teramars are being discontinued. Look at the Tallus. Same thing
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I would pull that $10 off coupon out of the freshwater regulations booklet and go get a Calico Jack 7' M or MH at ****....and keep $75 in my pocket.

There isn't much difference between the M and MH but I prefer the MH. It has a bit more backbone and essentially the same fast tip. I keep thinking one of mine will break one day and that would explain the low cost but none yet.
    i used to have a redbone for my ci4, would still have it if it didn't break in a door, great rod the redbones.