Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

70 Days to Snap

April 16, 2015

Suggested Tweet: Anglers get 70-day recreational red #snapper season in Gulf from @MyFWC! http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/ff543f #fishing #Florida

Commission approves 70-day recreational red snapper season in Gulf state waters

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved a 70-day recreational red snapper season for Gulf state waters at the April 16 meeting in Tallahassee. Red snapper is a popular species that has a strong economic impact for many coastal communities throughout Florida.

The 2015 season will start the Saturday before Memorial Day (May 23) and run through July 12, resume for all of Labor Day weekend (Sept. 5-7) and finish with Saturdays and Sundays throughout the rest of September and all of October, with the last day of harvest being Sunday, Nov. 1.

The 2015 Gulf federal waters recreational red snapper season has not been set yet and will be announced later this spring by NOAA Fisheries.

For more information, visit MyFWC.com/About and click on “The Commission” and “Commission Meetings.” For information on Gulf red snapper, visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on “Saltwater,” “Recreational Regulations” and “Gulf Snapper.”

:applause

Replies

• pinseekerpinseeker Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Happy Dance :fishing
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    Makes me happy to see it! The downside is gonna be the traffic in close.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,236 Moderator
    And at least two days to kill a bear!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Zero days in Federal waters is likely, so are you guys happy now? No Red Snapper inside 25 miles down here (Tampa).

I know you can catch them close up there I have a place on Cape San Blass, but aren't the really big slobs out deep even up there?
    rent my beach house
  • upinthewaterupinthewater Posts: 202 Officer
    Its not a one for one on the days in state to the days in federal. The growth from 54 to 70 is only about a 2-3 day delta - and that total in Fed is about not even worth it. Easy math - the 10-200 mi area where snappers live and breath is more than 19 times the 1-9 mile area we have in state. Sure like to see them snappers out of the feds overregulated PEW/EDP/NOAA(no-Anglers Allowed) run organization.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    Zero days in Federal waters is likely, so are you guys happy now?

applauding the state not the thugging Feds!
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Best thing that could happen at this point is to get the Feds out of it and get the gulf states red snapper management authority passed. I don't know if it really has a shot but GMFMC has made a mess!

I need to find me some state water spots.....don't think I have a single one that's not a public number.....better get busy
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,008 AG
    And at least two days to kill a bear!
    Warning Level 2
  • Fl-boyFl-boy Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Fed gave way all the R Snapper to the for profit sector.
    Why did / are the NOAA Fisheries using data from the 1980s to split the sector quotas?
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Fl-boy wrote: »
    Fed gave way all the R Snapper to the for profit sector.
    Why did / are the NOAA Fisheries using data from the 1980s to split the sector quotas?

My guess would be because they are corrupt :stinkfish
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 800 Officer
    Nice work State of FL., for stepping up and doing right for all Rec. Anglers and the Red Snapper fishery in the gulf. Most that fish with me love to catch em some red snapper. Here is why: they fight from bottom till on top, take some pretty pics with their red color and the table fare is pretty tasty. Time to dust off the near shore state water #'s book. btw Our East Coast trip was a blast.
    Sting aka Capt. Ron
    Catch em up
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Zero days in Federal waters is likely, so are you guys happy now? No Red Snapper inside 25 miles down here (Tampa).

I know you can catch them close up there I have a place on Cape San Blass, but aren't the really big slobs out deep even up there?

You guys have Snook, we don't.
    There are big RS up close. We even catch some in the bay.
    I don't like the real big sows. The better eating ones are around 16-20 inches. Maybe they (Feds) could be appeased if there was a slot limit like Redfish?