Home General Fishing

How to trade 115 for 150

DJWDJW Posts: 543 Officer
I have a 115 Mercury on a 19ft Trophy center console.
The boat is a bit underpowered and I would like to trade in the motor for a 150.
The engine has 200 hours on it and is in great shape.
Is there a way to trade in or do I have to sell the 115 and then buy 150?
How much is a 115 HP 2007 Mercury worth?
Thanks.

Replies

  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Trade your boat for one with the power options you want, probably less than swapping motors.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    As with cars...trading in you will take a big beating.

    An "option" if the boat is sluggish is to go down in prop size to give more "oomph".... You will lose top end since you may have to prop so that you will over-rev at WOT....
    For me it is no issue..I have a 4 stroke so it has plenty of grunt...and she is propped to go just over red line( 6200)...but I am always on "cruise" at 4000-4200 anyway... but I do have a "cushion" to have a full well (35 gallon) of bait ....and still hop right up.

    This also works for people who water ski once in a while...a second prop makes a world of difference.... can be changed in 2 minutes...AND...lets you inspect prop shaft for fishing line...especially braid... so you don't kill a lower unit.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    For me it is no issue..I have a 4 stroke so it has plenty of grunt...

    What the hell does that mean? If you are making a comparison, 4-stroke to 2-stroke, the 2-stroke blows away the 4-stroke. It's mostly because the 4-stroke fires every-other time the pistons reach the top of the cylinders and the 2-stroke fires every time. Hence, the 2-stroke has more torque and will plane your boat faster with the same rated horsepower as the 4-stroke.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    bonephish wrote: »
    What the hell does that mean? If you are making a comparison, 4-stroke to 2-stroke, the 2-stroke blows away the 4-stroke. It's mostly because the 4-stroke fires every-other time the pistons reach the top of the cylinders and the 2-stroke fires every time. Hence, the 2-stroke has more torque and will plane your boat faster with the same rated horsepower as the 4-stroke.

    Keep telling yourself that....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Got to a dealer and check out the 150 you want. Negotiate a sale price and then tell them you want to trade in a 20xx 115 hp.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    What's going on here?
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Wade B wrote: »
    Got to a dealer and check out the 150 you want. Negotiate a sale price and then tell them you want to trade in a 2007 115 hp.

    http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2007/Mercury/115EXLPT-EFI/20019460/Outboard-Motors-Values
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    DJW wrote: »
    How much is a 115 HP 2007 Mercury worth?
    Thanks.

    Use this website to get your "book value" same as if you were dealing with a car or truck.

    http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats?nozip=1&nopop=1

    You are welcome.:)
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    Just as with cars...do not expect NADA RETAIL....while getting the low ball price on the new motor...because just as with cars...the dealer will be wanting to get profit.....and will do it on either end.

    I plugged in my zip code and it said $4450 - $5000 .....which I believe is high for a 8 year old motor....

    Good luck in your search.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I plugged in my zip code and it said $4450 - $5000 .....which I believe is high for a 8 year old motor....

    You never actually buy your motors in "your zipcode" do you Duck:huh

    Of course they have them priced high for the "ritzville yankee haven" you call home.:grin:rotflmao
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    You never actually buy your motors in "your zipcode" do you Duck:huh

    Of course they have them priced high for the "ritzville yankee haven" you call home.:grin:rotflmao

    Heck no!....I go to Okeechobee to get mine. A guy in a small town can't f**k people over and survive...The guys at LAKESHORE MARINE
    treat you BETTER than family...I would push my skiff there on the ground with no trailer to buy from them...THAT GOOD!


    But to be clear..Sebastian is as far from "Ritzville"..as it is from the ghetto..... no 1% ers around that I've ever seen.

    I saved about 3 K on each of my last two motors.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,149 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Keep telling yourself that....
    One comment, then I'm not gonna get off topic. I repo we're a 28' center console from 225 Mercs to F225 yamahas. With the Yams the boat was noticeably slower to plane, had to turn more rpm's to get the same speed, and lost about 8 kts at wot. And that was after quite a bit of prop work. The Mercs would also plane the boat on one motor if I swapped to a four blade prop, the yams wouldn't even come close. Don't getbme wrong, the yam ies were much more fuel efficient, and much better motors, but not close in over all power.
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    pottydoc wrote: »
    One comment, then I'm not gonna get off topic. I repo we're a 28' center console from 225 Mercs to F225 yamahas. With the Yams the boat was noticeably slower to plane, had to turn more rpm's to get the same speed, and lost about 8 kts at wot. And that was after quite a bit of prop work. The Mercs would also plane the boat on one motor if I swapped to a four blade prop, the yams wouldn't even come close. Don't getbme wrong, the yam ies were much more fuel efficient, and much better motors, but not close in over all power.

    Historically that's what I've read is the Yammi F225 are "weak". I think they've addressed this in the newer models however. Sounds like your impressions were spot on.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    Some motors are "weak" because of lower unit gear ratios...

    You need not believe anything you read here or on the net...but people in the boating industry know what produces torque...and they make those engines their standard power. Look at what top name manufacturers of larger boats are powering those with....

    If I want to race ( high performance )...I will buy a 2 stroke..... For all other applications..the 4 stroke is the power of choice.

    Try and figure out why all major manufacturers (except bombardier) are now almost all 4 stroke.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,149 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Some motors are "weak" because of lower unit gear ratios...

    You need not believe anything you read here or on the net...but people in the boating industry know what produces torque...and they make those engines their standard power. Look at what top name manufacturers of larger boats are powering those with....

    If I want to race ( high performance )...I will buy a 2 stroke..... For all other applications..the 4 stroke is the power of choice.

    Try and figure out why all major manufacturers (except bombardier) are now almost all 4 stroke.
    One of the main things you need not believe on here or the internet is anything Yamaha lovers say about other outboards. The people in the boating industry have done a fantastic job marketing 4/s. The F200 and 225 Yams were on the low end of the hp rating for their advertised hp. They were weak engines. Plus, take a little visit over to THT and do a search for Yamaha corrosion issues, and what Yamaha has done, or actually not done, for the multitude of folks with major issues on their 4/s V-6 engines.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    pottydoc wrote: »
    One of the main things you need not believe on here or the internet is anything Yamaha lovers say about other outboards. The people in the boating industry have done a fantastic job marketing 4/s. The F200 and 225 Yams were on the low end of the hp rating for their advertised hp. They were weak engines. Plus, take a little visit over to THT and do a search for Yamaha corrosion issues, and what Yamaha has done, or actually not done, for the multitude of folks with major issues on their 4/s V-6 engines.

    I agree...do your research to see what motors are top performers...look at what commercial guys are using...it becomes obvious.

    On a side note...My son was telling me about " 7 Marine ".... 560 HP...and a 640 HP Outboard..HO LEE shizit!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • DJWDJW Posts: 543 Officer
    Thanks to everyone who responded.

    I think I will try a new prop to see if that gets me what I want.

    I have started a new thread.

    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?189527-How-to-get-more-power-out-of-115-HP-Mercury-on-Trophy-1903-CC

    Thanks again.
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Check out a thread I posted a while ago on a similar topic.

    http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185466
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Some motors are "weak" because of lower unit gear ratios...

    You need not believe anything you read here or on the net...but people in the boating industry know what produces torque...and they make those engines their standard power. Look at what top name manufacturers of larger boats are powering those with....

    If I want to race ( high performance )...I will buy a 2 stroke..... For all other applications..the 4 stroke is the power of choice.

    Try and figure out why all major manufacturers (except bombardier) are now almost all 4 stroke.

    Duckman, you are a wealth of wrong information. The "Power Of Choice" is because all the manufacturers had to go to 4-stroke because of the emissions law. Bombardier stays with 2-strokes because they are able to meet the requirements (and are a Canadian company.)

    BTW, my 200hpdi 2-stroke has 1,000+ hours and planes my 24' Scout Bay immediately, even with full release well. On a smaller boat that motor would be wicked fast.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    bonephish wrote: »
    Duckman, you are a wealth of wrong information.

    If you say so....

    Besides...no need to listen to me...he can listen to you...you seem like quite an expert....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • DJWDJW Posts: 543 Officer
    I am new to the boating section of this forum. Seems like you fellas bicker as much as we do in the hunting forums :rolleyes:
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    DJW wrote: »
    I am new to the boating section of this forum. Seems like you fellas bicker as much as we do in the hunting forums :rolleyes:

    It's the internet...everyone is an expert...on everything.....no license or credentials required :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    2 strokes are loud and smokey...
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    but the have a good smell at the crack of dawn.
Sign In or Register to comment.