Home General Fishing

Opinions wanted on PENN Conflict spinning reel

GhostmanGhostman Posts: 82 Deckhand
I'm about to pull the trigger on a PENN Conflict CFT8000 spinning reel for heavy duty applications. The price is right and it's pleasing to the eye. I was hoping to get some opinions from those that either own or have used them.
"Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Come Hell or High Water"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Mechanically similar to the Battle II in the same size (parts can be interchanged). I think they are good bang for the buck. I have a BattleII 4000 and Conflict 3000, also used to have a 1st gen Battle 5000.
    Define "Heavy Duty Applications" though?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Muttons, grouper, big tarpon, shark.....etc etc.
    "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Come Hell or High Water"

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I'm sure it will do fine. There is another user who recently got conflicts for grouper fishing, hopefully he will chime in.

    My battle5k did well enough for vertical jigging, catching tuna, bonito, jacks and even a kingfish here and there, but it failed about a year afterwards (bearings needed to be replaced and paint was chipping). From what the Penn reps said, the second gen Battles and the Conflicts are improved over this design with shielded bearings and better wear resistance on the paint.

    I have no idea how beefy the 8000 size Conflict is, but if the internals are similar in strength to an SSV 6500 then you're good to go.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?183971-Grouper-Bite-Picking-up-in-my-Area
    he didn't get an 8k size, but he seemed happy with his Conflict
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Alan's review on the 4000 says as a non-sealed, non-super spinner, this reel is not remotely waterproof and proper preparation and a little elbow + marine grease and anti corrosion oil will be our allies to keep our little work horse in smooth running order.

    http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10227.0
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    My conflict 4000 locked up on me after about 3-4x out... never dunked, cleaned like every other reel I own after each use. Before that is was my favorite reel that I had owned... best drag I've ever felt. After that I sent it back and got something else.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    My conflict 4000 locked up on me after about 3-4x out... never dunked, cleaned like every other reel I own after each use. Before that is was my favorite reel that I had owned... best drag I've ever felt. After that I sent it back and got something else.
    what did you replace it with?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,088 AG
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    My conflict 4000 locked up on me after about 3-4x out... never dunked, cleaned like every other reel I own after each use. Before that is was my favorite reel that I had owned... best drag I've ever felt. After that I sent it back and got something else.

    See post #6....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • NaplesOffshoreNaplesOffshore Posts: 284 Officer
    I like mine a lot. I have a 5K and a 6K, I like the 5K size better.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I have a 6K and it seems to have huge capacity. I use it on my jigging reel but really haven't caught much of note on it to know how it's going to hold up but it's smooth and looks cool. I hope to put it through it's paces now that cobia and tarpon are starting to show up.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    jcanracer wrote: »
    what did you replace it with?

    A Spheros SW and a Pfluger President. Love em both. I'll take a $50 Pfluger President over any of the 5 or so Stradics I currently own (for the money... but the Stradic is still a marginally better reel)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,088 AG
    If the parts are interchangeable with a Battle...
    I would buy that ...an extra ball bearing is not worth the extra money.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,088 AG
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Pfluger President. Love em both. I'll take a $50 Pfluger President over any of the 5 or so Stradics I currently own (for the money... but the Stradic is still a marginally better reel)

    If they put a better handle on that reel...it would be better than a Stradic at 25% of the price.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    If they put a better handle on that reel...it would be better than a Stradic at 25% of the price.

    I just bought a Pflueger Supreme in 3000 size on Ebay for 40 bucks to replace a President that's probably 5 years old and fished heavily in salt. Way underrated reel. The only reason I'm replacing it is because the roller bearing seized up and I can't get the screw out to lube/replace it. Considering I bought the whole combo for 75 bucks at a big box store I can't complain. I've caught many many fish on it.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I just bought a Pflueger Supreme in 3000 size on Ebay for 40 bucks to replace a President that's probably 5 years old and fished heavily in salt. Way underrated reel. The only reason I'm replacing it is because the roller bearing seized up and I can't get the screw out to lube/replace it. Considering I bought the whole combo for 75 bucks at a big box store I can't complain. I've caught many many fish on it.

    You gotta be careful with magnesium reels and saltwater. The saltwater eats them like tap water does a alka seltzer.
  • PeacockFeverPeacockFever Posts: 227 Officer
    I have the conflict 6000, reel works great, no complaints from me, smooth drag too.
    There's no such thing as too much bait!
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Come Hell or High Water"

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    johnD wrote: »
    You gotta be careful with magnesium reels and saltwater. The saltwater eats them like tap water does a alka seltzer.

    Is it magnesium? Think I should keep it as a freshwater only reel instead?
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Conflict is nice, a little high on price, but not bad. No way I'm touching a pflueger, though both ones I have ever owned lasted less than 3 trips combined. And I'm easy on my stuff have a $15 daiwa I bought on vacation last me 5 years now.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Is it magnesium? Think I should keep it as a freshwater only reel instead?

    I would...stay with a president or penn for the salt. pflueger and penn are both, pure fishing companies.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I'm going to guess that a lot of the negs in this thread comes from abuse and storage. I keep my **** inside an air conditioned part of the house and my mono doesn't have all this bull shait mentioned about line memory and corrosion on my reels after I rinse and dry them.
    If I'm fishing with mono hard, I will change 10-20lb stuff every 3 days or less. Bullshiat days maybe once or twice a year. But as far as reels go, its salt water intrusion, UV, heat and humidity that kills them!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    lifegoeson wrote: »
    Conflict is nice, a little high on price, but not bad. No way I'm touching a pflueger, though both ones I have ever owned lasted less than 3 trips combined. And I'm easy on my stuff have a $15 daiwa I bought on vacation last me 5 years now.

    I have 4 Pflueger Presidents and not a one has lasted less than 4 years of pretty hard fishing, mostly saltwater.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,088 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I have 4 Pflueger Presidents and not a one has lasted less than 4 years of pretty hard fishing, mostly saltwater.


    Other than the one that the reel foot broke...they last a long time WITH NO MAINTENANCE WHATSOEVER...

    IMG_20150219_120753_zpsue1nliq0.jpg

    The one with no spool still works...I had the spool on the one that broke so i could use the mono without swapping from spool to spool...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Just bought a president....i like it
Sign In or Register to comment.