Home General Fishing

Braid Line Wear

snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,183 Officer
Has anyone treated braid line with something to slicken or to smooth the line after it has begun to wear and fray slightly?
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Replies

• quest450quest450 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    I just cut back every so often until it's time to replace it
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 686 Officer
    Has anyone treated braid line with something to slicken or to smooth the line after it has begun to wear and fray slightly?

Yes,I have used fly line conditioner for years,available at most fly line shops.It offers many
    advantages such as wind knots come out much more easily,line floats on the water,passes
    thru guides better and salt is less in the braid.Also use 14#Fireline which allows longer life
    of braid as opposed to 8#.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,183 Officer
    10kman wrote: »
    Yes,I have used fly line conditioner for years,available at most fly line shops.It offers many
    advantages such as wind knots come out much more easily,line floats on the water,passes
    thru guides better and salt is less in the braid.Also use 14#Fireline which allows longer life
    of braid as opposed to 8#.

I have thought about that and was not sure about it. Thanks. Thanks also to Quest.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Oldfox1939Oldfox1939 Posts: 521 Officer
    Reel Magic works pretty well.
    Thanks
  • aquaman9aquaman9 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Reel lube does work OK but you can also reverse the line onto another reel. this will double the life of the line.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,233 Officer
    If it is frayed, the fibers are broken and the line is weaker. A coating will not repair that, just hide the problem. Cut it back, reverse it, or replace it.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 481 Deckhand
    have you ever reversed your line? transfer it to another reel. reel it onto another reel that you like to use, then the frayed part of the line will be on the bottom of the spool and the newer part that you don't get down to very much will be on the outside of the spool. i've been doing this for years and you really get more life out of the braid this way.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    I always reverse my line. I also use backing on the reel to cut down on the amount of braid I need. The braid tests out at a much higher breaking strength than stated so line breakage is not a problem, just smooth casting is my desire. And yes I am a cheapskate. :wink Thanks to all.
  • CameronCameron Posts: 208 Deckhand
    quest450 wrote: »
    I just cut back every so often until it's time to replace it

This is the correct answer. Once the line shows visible wear, braid loses a substantial amount of its breaking strength. Adding on a conditioner won't repair it.
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    Silicone spray or fly line cleaner. gets the water scum and junk off and allows u to cast farther, or as stated reverse on reel. Now if frayed looking cut and discard