Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Lobster tails (cocktail style)

I want to fix some lobster tails for a get together. I would like to boil them, chill, cut into small cubes and serve with cocktail sauce. I am going to do about 15 tails with each tail about 1/3 to 1/2 pounds. Any suggestions on how to boil them (all together or a few at a time....how long....shell on or off)? Are there any recipes for cocktail sauce other than just ketchup and horseradish sauce?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

LR

Replies

• rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    I'm not an expert on lobster tails, but I sure would love to come to your party. Post a few pics.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Add a little lemon juice and Worcestershire as well. A little hot sauce if you like also.
  • captainjtsmithcaptainjtsmith Posts: 56 Deckhand
    I cook them two different ways.... 1st way.... put 1 pack of Zattarans Crab boil in the water along with 1/4 cup of hot sauce, 2 cut up Vidalia Onions, and 3 lemons cut in half..... 2nd way... 1 cup of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and two whole cloves of garlic

For 10-12 oz, boil 10-12min and for 14-16oz, boil for 15-20min. Set in colander to cool

and for traditional Cocktail Sauce..

Ketchup 4 oz
    Horseradish 1 Tbsp
    Lemon Juice 1 Tbsp
    Hot Sauce to Taste
    Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce a few Dashes to taste

good luck...
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I like "hot" so I put in some Tabasco or other hot sauce along with the ketchup and horseradish like my Dad did. I also like to cook all 15 at a time, bring them to a boil either from cold with the tails in there or put them all in boiling water. I boil them till the shells turn orange or red, mabye 5 to 10 minutes at a full boil.
  • slayrideslayride Posts: 59 Deckhand
    i thought you would never ask.............
    we made this video while in the keys this summer......... broiled and fried are my favorites..........be careful, they get tough if over cooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-cPR9pFY-I
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Bring the water to a rolling boil. Drop lobsters in for 7-8 minutes until they turn bright red. Done! Make sure to salt the water with sea salt, one tablespoon per gallon should be good. Or use water dipped out of the ocean! I suggest you boil one and check them to see if they're done to your taste before doing a whole batch. Don't try to cook too many at once because it lowers the water temp too much. Cocktail sauce???? How about melted butter?
  • Little RascalLittle Rascal Posts: 174 Officer
    Well, I got in a hurry, so I didn't get a picture of the final presentation. Here are the tails thawed out.

Boiled them in two batches for about 8 1/2 minutes. Used a crab boil bag and salt.

Chopped them up into one inch squares.

The only thing I noticed, was that it was hard to get off all the sand from the lobster meat. I had to wash them a couple of times. I think if I would have taken them out of the shell and cleaned the tails before boiling, I could have cleaned the meat better....but I don't know how the meat would have turned out that way. This way it was great and the lobster disappeared shortly.

LR
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Great job.....
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Plus one on the "great job"
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Plus 3 :thumbsup
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • doghouse1122doghouse1122 Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    Seriously jealous.