Home Tropics

Buying Rods and Tackle in Mexico

kalik it or ticketkalik it or ticket Posts: 85 Deckhand
We're heading to the Yucatan in April for a week. Staying in Puerto Aventuras. About 20 minutes south of Playa Del Carmen and an hour or so south of Cancun. My wife wants to go all carry-on bags but my son and I want to fish. Is there anywhere to buy a couple spinning rods and some tackle down there? There is a Walmart in Playa del Carmen but I hear the fishing selection is sparse. I can't seem to find any tackle shops in the area either.

If I were checking bags, I'd be bringing two 20lb class spinning rods, an assortment of hooks, a few sinker to get started, a couple spools of fluorocarcon leaders, a bunch of jigheads and curly tail grubs and a couple tube lures. Not sure if I can pick that stuff up there or not. Especially the tube lures.

Anybody ever buy tackle down there? Everything on line is just for the charters.

Thanks.

Replies

• Relentless39Relentless39 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I rented a rod in Marida a few years ago while I was there on work. Cost me $50 for 3days. I fished celestune. The boat cost another $50 plus lunch and beer for the 3 days. Great trip.
  • kalik it or ticketkalik it or ticket Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Thanks. So, you were on the Gulf side of the peninsula? How did you do?

I bought two rods that I can break down into two pieces and are 42 inches long (meets flights carry-on restrictions) and will bring a couple reels in my bag. I'm bringing a bunch of soft plastics but no hooks. I'm hoping to be able to get them there. There is a Walmart in Playa del Carmen but I don't know what their fishing section is like. Fingers crossed........
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Usually hooks are OK if they are in checked bags.
    .......Rick
  • kalik it or ticketkalik it or ticket Posts: 85 Deckhand
    So, here's the low-down. I did bring some small jigs and curly tail grubs in my checked luggage. That was no issue. Buying tackle between Cancun and Tulum is very tough. Nothing really available. I borrowed some hooks from a charter boat and bought shrimp from a restaurant. :)