Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

I hate turkeys'

Don't we all at some point.

Went to my go to spot this morning, stood by a tree and yelped at daylight and saw one drop straight down out of the tree 40 yds away, and heard another do the same down a steep hill.
Taken by surprise, I sat down immediately and shut up.
The one down the hill came up, blowed up, but it was too dark to shoot him @ 40 yds, I sat tight hoping he would come on in, but the next thing I heard was him gobbling down the hill and going away.
Well, at least I got the heart rate up this morning.
F the feds

Replies

• fathomfathom Posts: 315 Officer
    That thrill alone must have been worth the effort.
  • grouperdawggrouperdawg Posts: 296 Deckhand
    I took my buddy's kid who is 16 this morning at my place, hit the owl call and bird blew me up. He flew down quickly and I hit him with the diaphragm., was two toms and one gobbled his head off. Three hens walked in on us they never made a peep. Then the Two toms came in, about forty five yard shot and I think he just didn't aim high enough. He hit it, then it ran. Great hunt, tough one for him
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,657 AG
    Me and a buddy hunted yesterday morning at a place I have access to. For the first time in 10 yrs I did not hear the first gobble, even off in the distance. We sat until 9:30 and then started moving around and calling. We covered lots of ground and only saw 1 turkey track, ONE!?!?!? Usually the place is littered in tracks. At 10:45 we were standing and overlooking a burn on the next property after a little calling and my buddy gets my attention and points straight ahead, he spotted a strutting bird and I couldn't see it.

We sit down, 15 yds apart and 40 yds off the line and I still can't see the bird. Some soft calling and 20 min later I finally see him 65-70 yds out slowly coming down the plowed break, strut and step, strut and step. 45 minutes later he is at 50 yds He never once gobbled. All of a sudden a hen sounds off and runs right up to me at 20 yds, raises cane and goes back to the gobbler and away they go not be seen or heard again...
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,028 Captain
    I was the hen whisperer today, had one in my lap for 20 minutes and the boys just went around us.
    She and I were sounding sexy too, guess we are ugly :)
    F the feds
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Heard 6 this morning, had one wanting to die at the tailgate around noon when we were getting ready to leave that saw us moving before we saw him and saw two more while leaving. I'm returning in the morning with a better game plan. If I can't get on them first thing, I think I can make it happen between 10-1 tomorrow!

This was me today
    AA33C69A-D52D-44E0-B18A-A7456C1745DE_zpskpcpnpmm.jpg

02DEDE2A-BD76-41D3-894F-2CF4A18CBCC3_zps0fgrahvb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just wack'm with the barrel man. Who was hunting with you?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    Just wack'm with the barrel man. Who was hunting with you?

Jeremy was with me this morning. The tundra is in the shop and toyota is telling me the parts are on back order. Tuesday will be two weeks they've had it an no eta. So I'm confined to taking someone who has 4x4 if it rains and I want to go to the lease these days. The loaner Corolla isn't exactly the best of woods vehicles.

It is dry enough today to go back in the morning in the wife's pilot.

• hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Some soft calling and 20 min later I finally see him 65-70 yds out slowly coming down the plowed break, strut and step, strut and step. 45 minutes later he is at 50 yds He never once gobbled. All of a sudden a hen sounds off and runs right up to me at 20 yds, raises cane and goes back to the gobbler and away they go not be seen or heard again...
    To me, that is some of the best part about gobbler hunting. You NEVER know what is going to happen.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    omegafoo wrote: »
    This was me today
    AA33C69A-D52D-44E0-B18A-A7456C1745DE_zpskpcpnpmm.jpg
    Good Lord you carry a lot of stuff to the woods!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    hooknreds wrote: »

Needs to hire a bearer. LOL!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    hooknreds wrote: »

I don't wear a turkey vest. All my calls are in the small pouch. Add a gobbler lounger, Thermacell and gun and that's it. Im not even carrying the satchel, powder horn and shot bag for this thing or it would be worse.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Remember now.....

Knap the flint and set it in the hammer to rake down the frizzen evenly.
    No more than 1/4th a pan of priming powder, and snap your wrist to throw the powder all the way to the outer edge of the pan.
    Take your time and don't flinch! It's not going to explode in your face!

Oh yea.......and no excuses :grin
    Remember now.....

Knap the flint and set it in the hammer to rake down the frizzen evenly.

Check
    No more than 1/4th a pan of priming powder, and snap your wrist to throw the powder all the way to the outer edge of the pan..

Check
    Take your time

Uh oh...
    and don't flinch! It's not going to explode in your face!

check
    Oh yea.......and no excuses :grin

Got none other than I didn't do my part...

Got impatient and instead of doing what I know I should do with a bird that starts gobbling at 1230, I pushed the envelope. The experience was AWESOME! But I apparently have a bad habit of not putting my head down when I a bird puts me in a position that I rush.

Had a bird gobbling off and on that knew I was there. Instead of being patient and letting him come to me, he gobbled one time and sounded like he was leaving. I figured I was going to make it happen one way or another so I grabbed the gun and a turkey fan and got to stalking. I was hoping to make it to the edge of the pines when 5-7' shy the bird pops out of the other side and into the food plot. He sees the fan that I'm using to conceal myself with and immediately struts and starts making a bee line to me. At 15 yards he walks behind a pair of pines but I got caught dropping the fan and picking up the gun. He started putting and I had a very small window between trees to shoot. I quickly shouldered and fired only to watch the bird fly away...

There was a moment when I had the fan in front of my face and he was all lit up that I wondered had bad it was going to look getting my butt kicked by this bird. I thought he was about to jump in my lap. It was certainly a cool experience!

I hate turkeys!

I know of 3 gobblers that were killed in the last week on the property were foo is hunting and one is a forum brother.

I hunted Sat. morning and finally heard a gobble at 8:30 about 300 yds away. Bird gobbled twice on his own, 3 times at me and once at a crow. Got setup and never heard him again. Instead I called up a hen and 2 jakes. Only tracks I saw were from the 3 birds that I called in.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Check

Check

Uh oh...

check

Got none other than I didn't do my part...

Got impatient and instead of doing what I know I should do with a bird that starts gobbling at 1230, I pushed the envelope. The experience was AWESOME! But I apparently have a bad habit of not putting my head down when I a bird puts me in a position that I rush.

Had a bird gobbling off and on that knew I was there. Instead of being patient and letting him come to me, he gobbled one time and sounded like he was leaving. I figured I was going to make it happen one way or another so I grabbed the gun and a turkey fan and got to stalking. I was hoping to make it to the edge of the pines when 5-7' shy the bird pops out of the other side and into the food plot. He sees the fan that I'm using to conceal myself with and immediately struts and starts making a bee line to me. At 15 yards he walks behind a pair of pines but I got caught dropping the fan and picking up the gun. He started putting and I had a very small window between trees to shoot. I quickly shouldered and fired only to watch the bird fly away...

There was a moment when I had the fan in front of my face and he was all lit up that I wondered had bad it was going to look getting my butt kicked by this bird. I thought he was about to jump in my lap. It was certainly a cool experience!

I hate turkeys!

CHEATER!
    tapate wrote: »
    CHEATER!

It's only cheating if it's illegal :wink

Saturday's bird came charging in. Closed 150 yards in less than 2 minutes and was on top of before we knew it.
    It's only cheating if it's illegal :wink

Saturday's bird came charging in. Closed 150 yards in less than 2 minutes and was on top of before we knew it.

I found that is the standard response.
    You could also consider the chufa plots on the property cheating...

And decoys...

But, if it will make you feel better, we didn't kill the bird over the chufas, with a decoy or with a fan Saturday :wink
    You could also consider the chufa plots on the property cheating...

And decoys...

But, if it will make you feel better, we didn't kill the bird over the chufas, with a decoy or with a fan Saturday :wink

I don't. I was just having some fun.
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 817 Officer
    I know of 3 gobblers that were killed in the last week on the property were foo is hunting and one is a forum brother.

One of our forum brothers is a turkey?

Only one?
    tapate wrote: »
    I don't. I was just having some fun.

I know - no hard feelings :driver:
    amada8 wrote: »
    One of our forum brothers is a turkey?

Only one?

This time a year, many of us talk more to the turkeys than we do our wives :grin
  • CynicalCynical Posts: 274 Deckhand
    This time of year only?
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    You fellas really love this sport. Kind of forms an obsession don't it? Well, good luck. It sounds like real fun and a great way to get away from the better half's. :-)
    Cynical wrote: »
    This time of year only?

Well I limited it to turkey only. But if you want to go there, there's "fishing season", "deer/duck season" and then "turkey season". I haven't figured out where wife season is just yet ;) besides, I've got to stay in practice and up-to-date so when mason is big enough I won't disappoint him when we go hunting or fishing.
    You fellas really love this sport. Kind of forms an obsession don't it? Well, good luck. It sounds like real fun and a great way to get away from the better half's. :-)

Obsession is putting it lightly. Most of us live on a ledge, as a friend puts it. Until you take a bird you only creep closer to the edge and jumping.

Once you get a good show, it's hard to turn loss of this addiction. Nothing like a grown bird strutting his stuff with the sunlight turning him into this glimmering ball of bronze, purple and green feather while he rings your ears with the gobbling and drumming.

Yeah, you could say we're obsessed!
    3rd time must be the charm....

Me-1 Turkey-0 today. Story to come
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,036 Officer
    I love turkeys again. 3 gobblers came in silent in the drizzling rain at 10:30.

d41eb4ed99904fce486ee92dd9c06f50.jpg

9 & 10" beards.
    Where was Nicholas?
    Nice work Dale. I'm still sitting on the ledge and the lone hold-out for killing a bird. A sudden family emergency on Thursday kept me out of the woods most of the weekend. I hunted a bit Sunday before the rain but didn't hear a peep or see anything.

I still hate turkeys...
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 853 Officer
    I hate them again too. While I was able to kill a pretty good one a couple of weeks ago, 7 straight days of chasing them produced nothing but frustration. It was fun though! Which is what makes us all nuts.