Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Finally put one on ice... decent ling. Panama City - 4/5

Great way to spend Easter. Slept in kind of late, ate a bunch of pancakes, eased out of the pass with low expectations and enough ice for one fish. BINGO! Fish caught. She reluctantly ate a live eel. At the boat at least a pound of crabs and other items were coughed up. Fish was NOT hungry. Anyway, it was a nice little trip.

2015040595111032_zpsrdglvxjj.jpg
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Good fish!! I understand you stole Val's fish? :grin
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,236 Moderator
    Klinger wrote: »
    Good fish!! I understand you stole Val's fish? :grin

Nonsense. I stepped up when I was needed most. She pretty much tried to gill net it. I had no idea that much mono could fly off a reel.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,919 Captain
    Nonsense. I stepped up when I was needed most. She pretty much tried to gill net it. I had no idea that much mono could fly off a reel.

:Spittingcoffee
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    nice fish! they cant resist them eels
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,205 Officer
    Nice!! Great way to spend Easter IMO. That's one fish on my bucket list to catch.

I haven't seen as many reports of folks catching them the last week or so. Have they slowed down? Seem to see more people catching more & more Spanish of late.

Livin' the Dream !
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    Tight work Pan
    This weekend I'll be working on this... French drain that decided to stop capturing flow from a spring. Thankfully this is a straight shot to the creek and the back half is working. The other part of drain system grabs four springs and is much more complex and longer.

Looks just like it did when I installed in 2007

Confirming back half functioning. Will need to dig up / trench from cut pipe (below) to spring in order to dry it up enough to install new, and bigger, drain field and geotextile.

Hose water flowing out nicely into creek... fun stuff. A lot of shovel work this weekend. Mini excavator next weekend.
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,205 Officer
    Anything involving a shovel is usually never fun!

Livin' the Dream !
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Congrats on the cobe, not so much on the shovel work. Hate filling in a good hole. Unless it is a female :-)
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
    Made a lot of progress yesterday afternoon. Think I may have a way to get by without renting excavator or buying 20 tons of rock. We'll see how today goes. Plan of action is to take a 5 gallon bucket, invert it and run a hose off about a 3" vent out of the was-then bottom. Dig dig dig dig dig all around that spring and then stick the mouth of the bucket into the spring. Hold it down and the shovel rock all around the sides. Hard pipe from the bucket all the way to my exiting sock pipe that 's still flowing. We'll see. I think it'll work. Dug and dug and dug and dug all day yesterday trying to find where I tied into spring(s) and could not find sock pipe through all the material I put down.... ditch, geotextile, gravel, pipe, gravel and then textile wrap... then dirt, the clay, then 6" of gravel for driveway. MISTAKE. At the time I had a swamp and was not exactly sure where the water was coming from.... hence the sock pipe / gravel / textile system.

At this point... buddy, I know where it's coming from. I've got dang water faucet flow from an area about the size of a skinny girl's ***. No need for capturing excess water to drain a swamp.... I just need to capture a portion of the isolated spring and give it an easy path straight to the creek.

Mess.

Good new is my sister is in town today. She's a professional engineer and does THIS very thing for a living in Tampa. We'll see what she has to say about my plan.

Sure would be nice to wrap it up this weekend and then go catch a couple ling next weekend.