Today's Catch as Tomorrow's Lunch On The Boat?

Fish TailsFish Tails Posts: 164 Deckhand
I'm sure this has been asked before. I searched and couldn't find the answer.
Can I bring a few fillets to cook for sandwiches for the family? Sushi? Civiche?
What if I have no fishing gear on the boat? Cruising or even lobstering?

Replies

• IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 335 Deckhand
    My understanding is 1lb fillets per person provided that that you have the means of cooking it, like a grill.
  • Fish TailsFish Tails Posts: 164 Deckhand
    Intheslot wrote: »
    My understanding is 1lb fillets per person provided that that you have the means of cooking it, like a grill.

Thank You for the response. One lb per person is more than enough. I was hoping for a reply from the authorities. Anyone? I'm not trying to game the system. Just trying to play by the rules.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Here is the problem with that.

What if you are checked on the water headed out (catching bait at the pass, have an issue and need to come back to dock before getting offshore or whatever) and you have fresh fillets in bags? It may appear to that officer you brought fillets in, which is a violation. Yes, the regulations allows you to possess a certain amount if you have cooking facilities on board your vessel. However, it becomes a little more tricky when you bring the fillets with you.

It may be easier to explain if your fillets were frozen in bags on your way out.

Sorry, not a 100% yes or no answer for this question, but I'm giving you a 100% honest answer. I wouldn't want to see anyone get a ticket for an honest mistake.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • Fish TailsFish Tails Posts: 164 Deckhand

What if you are checked on the water headed out (catching bait at the pass, have an issue and need to come back to dock before getting offshore or whatever) and you have fresh fillets in bags? It may appear to that officer you brought fillets in, which is a violation. Yes, the regulations allows you to possess a certain amount if you have cooking facilities on board your vessel. However, it becomes a little more tricky when you bring the fillets with you.

It may be easier to explain if your fillets were frozen in bags on your way out.

Sorry, not a 100% yes or no answer for this question, but I'm giving you a 100% honest answer. I wouldn't want to see anyone get a ticket for an honest mistake.

Thank You Alan. An honest response is just what I had hoped for. I appreciate you taking the time. Perhaps it's best to have it partially prepared.
  • HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 180 Officer

But if you can prove you have bought the fish from the local market or food store it should be legal. I always keep bags of red snapper bought at publix on board with the receipt so if we want to eat red snapper out of season on the boat we have some. I wouldn't risk bags brought from the house.