Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Interesting info on Florida Dining...

13»

Replies

• cc13cc13 Posts: 548 Officer
    These people have weathered a lot, beginning with dennis in 05 and the crash in 08. Things are finally turning and i am thankful for those that have held on or have now started up.

Angelo, Arlene, and Thomas will go out of their way to please if you talk to them, at either one of their restaurants. Sometimes the best things, or the cook's recommendation, is off menu. Last time at TT, thomas had some fresh yellowtail about the size of a good bream. What he **** up,with it was excellent. BTW, they don't like poor/lazy servers any better than we do.

The Pearle is surprisingly good. The cook prepares it well and then takes the time to "plate" it up nice and pretty.

Sopchoppy pizza has opened again and is still very good

Fried flounder at Poseys steamroom

Prime Rib at St. James, except for my last visit. Last cut on the rib, way over done and dry. Instead of sending it back, I ate while my wife did. Later, I mentioned it to the waitress. The owner proposed to split the bill proportionate to what I had eaten. Somebody's dog got a nice big piece of shoeleather that night. Lesson- do not be the last to arrive in the dining room. They will serve it if they have, even when they shouldn't. I will go back but stress to not bring me some sorry endpiece.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    almost nothing out on SGI anymore other than BP?
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Coastal
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,350 Admiral
    One thing for sure. There are plenty of good eating places down at the coast. I try and not get stuck on just one.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    Slough wrote: »
    One thing for sure. There are plenty of good eating places down at the coast. I try and not get stuck on just one.

And you don't have to wait an hour like places on 30A and Destin!
    tapate wrote: »
    And you don't have to wait an hour like places on 30A and Destin!

I usually don't wait....pet peeve, waiting on food - go on off hours early is best as the Staff has more energy
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 697 Officer
    My wife and I always enjoy the bacon wrapped shrimp at the St. James Bay GC. They seem to deliver it time after time nearly perfect. That place is quiet and a great place to be on a fall Saturday evening. Smart service and good food while watching college football on the big screen tv is hard to beat.

I am also looking forward to visiting the Pearl in Lanark again. Their breakfast was very good last fall.

Frankly I am looking forward to being coastal in any way and out of this **** office. :banghead

Bigfoot wrote: »
    I usually don't wait....pet peeve, waiting on food - go on off hours early is best as the Staff has more energy

My 2 yr old and 9 mo old don't like to wait either.
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,397 Moderator
    Another vote for the Owl tap room. Love the brunch there. Good service as well.

Locally I get that..when I'm at the coast I try not to look at the watch. Enjoy the company and the ambiance. Slow down foot..
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    the Pearl in Lanark

Never heard of this place, where is it if you don't mind?
  • trussmantrussman Posts: 757 Officer
    the Pearl in Lanark

Never heard of this place, where is it if you don't mind?

It's the old 7-11 store just past Village Mart on north side of highway.
    :huh
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    trussman wrote: »
    It's the old 7-11 store just past Village Mart on north side of highway.

Wow, that building has been closed up for a long time. I think the last time it was open it was a satellite of 98 liquors from Eastpoint
    Grilled seafood platter - Blue Parrot.

I just love that place

I just love that place

The view is hard to beat but the food isnt
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 402 Deckhand
    They have some purty good groceries IF . Always have several specials going on.
    Wow, that building has been closed up for a long time. I think the last time it was open it was a satellite of 98 liquors from Eastpoint
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish
    tapate wrote: »
    The view is hard to beat but the food isnt

That's been my experience as well.
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 697 Officer

I just love that place

BF.... I'm afraid I will have to consider your future culinary review's as questionable. The BP is a great place to have a drink and enjoy the view before you drive somewhere (anywhere) else to eat.

In my humble opinion of course. :cool:

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Ate lunch today for the first time at "Jonahs Fish & Grits" in Thomasville....AWESOME! Can't recall ever having better shrimp and grits, and the service was far above average. Left the master chef a few pounds of my heirloom grits and cornmeal as a sample to try. Two of us had lunch for under $26.00.....a cheap price to pay for quality far, far above the average! Would be extremely pleased to have a restaurant of this quality serve my grits and use my cornmeal in their hushpuppies!

"Chop House on the Bricks", Thomasville. Haven't tried it yet, but will next week! Got a call from them today....they want my grits and cornmeal starting immediately!

Tell me why Thomasville, the small South Georgia Town that it is, has such quality restaurants? Tallahassee could take a lesson from Thomasville not only in restaurant quality, but in overall shopping too! My opinion, anyway!
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Jonah's Fish and Grits is one of the best restaurants in the area. You are so right Woodsrunner Tallahassee restaurants should take some pointers from them.
    Ate lunch today for the first time at "Jonahs Fish & Grits" in Thomasville....AWESOME! Can't recall ever having better shrimp and grits, and the service was far above average. Left the master chef a few pounds of my heirloom grits and cornmeal as a sample to try. Two of us had lunch for under $26.00.....a cheap price to pay for quality far, far above the average! Would be extremely pleased to have a restaurant of this quality serve my grits and use my cornmeal in their hushpuppies!

"Chop House on the Bricks", Thomasville. Haven't tried it yet, but will next week! Got a call from them today....they want my grits and cornmeal starting immediately!

Tell me why Thomasville, the small South Georgia Town that it is, has such quality restaurants? Tallahassee could take a lesson from Thomasville not only in restaurant quality, but in overall shopping too! My opinion, anyway!
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,283 Captain
    BF.... I'm afraid I will have to consider your future culinary review's as questionable. The BP is a great place to have a drink and enjoy the view before you drive somewhere (anywhere) else to eat.

In my humble opinion of course. :cool:

My opinion is usually not humble.

In the case of the Blue Parrot, you are quite correct.

If you come to the Gulf Coast to eat Tilapia tacos, the B.P. is great!

"What would gumbo taste like at McDonalds?" ... go to the B.P. to find out!

Enjoy carving up Iceberg Lettuce before you can eat the "salad"? Go to the B.P.!

Much better seafood can be had, every day, with a fish sandwich at White Castle.

While the food is better at the "new" Papa Joe's, the ambiance there is almost depressing.

The furniture's from a high school cafeteria, sturdy, utilitarian, cheerless, and ... 2nd hand.

No doubt the larger layout can handle large numbers of hungry "high season" vacationers.

In the off-season however, sitting in the middle of that plain, empty, space feels strange.

"Plain" works much better in smaller spaces, like the raw bar at Lynn's Quality Oysters.

Well worth the drive over to Eastpoint, ( especially since there are two tackle shops there ).
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 602 Officer

Thomasville has some decent restaurants, especially for it's size. Jonah's is good, although I miss being able to have a glass of wine with my meal. Or is that the twin restaurant next door?

IMO, Thomasville has upscale shopping areas complete with some nice restaurants because there are some serious plantations, with their owners, surrounding the town, as well as other rather well off folks living in town. Per capita, I suspect it is pretty high. And they have some serious disposable $. Even so, restaurants have come and gone in Thomasville, just like other locations. I like going up there to visit, and I go by Stafford's to look at those $150 shirts and $300 pocket knives just for fun. Somebody must buy them, so there is a market.

EJ
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,871 Captain

Went to school with the guys that run that place... it's really good.
    One Biz I've avoided that I know is hard - the food biz. Everyone has to eat, but dang what a tough biz!!! My old girlfriend worked her way through school in the Biz. No thank you!!! Just look at these reviews.....

Kudos and thanks for the ones who do as I'm more on the eating side of the biz
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,173 Captain
    Restaurant with the mini golf in Eastpoint is pretty good. Lots of fresh stuff that doesn't appear to be sourced from the frozen truck.