Weather guru advice needed

Myself and two others have had our trip scheduled for over a month now. Our plan is to come down to Marathon from this Sunday, 3/29 til 4/3 and we are staying at the Knight's Key RV and campground. We are towing down a 22ft Proline from the St. Petersburg area and keeping it in the water at the park.

With the forecast for those dates, do you think it is a waste of time coming down? Would we be able to get out on the water at all? We still have a chance to cancel our reservations for a small loss of our deposit. We really would hate to have to cancel considering we are not sure when we would be able to get back down there.

Thanks for any advice.


  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    windis blowing -should clam down, though cooler temps
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    checkout our new website-[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,039 Captain
    Most likely you will be able to hit Hawks Channel at least a few days during your week. It will be dry and sunny and about 80-81 most of the week. For sure you can hit the back side if it is too blowy offshore but I really don't think it will be based on the latest forecast. Now deeper waters may still be too rough for your boat but I would not hesitate to come down with the latest forecast from this am.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    I use Buoyweather and the long range forecast is showing winds between 10 and 18 knots mostly out of the east. That's going to make anything on the ocean side a bit sporty. BUT, nearshore on the bayside should be very nice. I'd bring the boat, because being in the keys without one just ain't right. See what you can do in the mornings to find a comfortable spot to wet a line and, if it's no good, you find a nice place to tie up for lunch a few boat bad is that?
  • BonusCupBonusCup Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like we are a go. If we get blown out so be it, at least we are down in the Keys. Hopefully we get a couple decent days, heck even a few good hours.

    Thanks again.
  • sugarloafersugarloafer Posts: 195 Deckhand
    never go to the keys without a boat unless u don't have one
    custom self built 400lb 4" draft 16' microskiff
    custom self built 34' cold molded diesel flybridge lobsterboat
Sign In or Register to comment.