Steinhatchee to horseshoe

Thinking about coming over from jax tomorrow. How has the bite been around there for trout and reds? Even offshore for sheeps? Any improvement in the last few weeks?
Captain Jeff Crabtree
Right Spot Charters Inc.
Skeeter/Yamaha Pro team member
[email protected]
904-759-1033
http://www.rightspotcharters.com/ Call me for any of for inshore nearshore and offshore fishing charters!!!

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Doesn't seem like anyone has really been tearing up the sheepshead but I've seen a few good catches here and there. Inshore fishing is **** near always good in that area though. Tide is kinda weak tomorrow and bright bluebird skies I'm betting, but I'll probably give it a shot anyway.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,731 Captain
    We tried the sheepshead and the bsb's last weekend. Fished hard for over 6 hours with only three bsb's and no sheepies at all. Worse than that, no grunts wrasses, little grouper or any thing else. I got a bad feeling that the red tide really hit those areas hard. We've been fishing those same spots for about 18 years, and there's always at least a few sea bass, and a ton of grunts on them. Gonna be back up there Thursday and Friday and try to do a dive or so on some of my numbers to see first hand what it looks like. I'll post up after we get back, but I don't expect a good report.
  • TW22TW22 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Not sure about up there, but I've been doing pretty decent on the grunts and sheepshead off Cedar Key.
    Grunts and are from 20 feet out. Sheeps are bouncing between spots. I've hit them on several of the familiar rockpiles and ledges. Started finding decent red grouper at about 40-45 feet. Undersized gags are plentiful, so bring plenty of bait.

You should check with some guides up there, as to what they are catching. You can check their facebook page or give them a call. They're all fairly friendly.
  • Hunt NastyHunt Nasty Posts: 111 Officer
    Has the grass starting greening up on the flats around Horseshoe and Pepperfish?
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,472 Officer
    The grass was pretty ragged at Steinhatchee this weekend. I did not find any green. Trout fishing slow, rumors of some fish in the creeks. The wind kept most off the offshore waters. We fished about 4 hours Saturday midday on Steinhatchee Reef for ten nice sheepshead in tough conditions. The folks that got to the shrimpboat had 60-65 Friday and early Saturday. One tore the anchor bracket off the bow of his boat.
  • CaptjeffcrabtreeCaptjeffcrabtree Posts: 231 Officer
    We ended up bailing on sheepshead. Too rogh for big center consoles Sunday morning. But we managed 25 nice reds and a 28 inch trout... Only trout we caught though!!
    Captain Jeff Crabtree
    Right Spot Charters Inc.
    Skeeter/Yamaha Pro team member
    [email protected]
    904-759-1033
    http://www.rightspotcharters.com/ Call me for any of for inshore nearshore and offshore fishing charters!!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    We ended up bailing on sheepshead. Too rogh for big center consoles Sunday morning. But we managed 25 nice reds and a 28 inch trout... Only trout we caught though!!

Nice ! If you can only catch one trout that would be it.
    "You'll get your weather"