Dude, where's my tide 3/29

My plan today was to sleep in some and catch the last few hours of the incoming tide at Waccasassa. When I arrived to the ramp I found that it was anything but a high tide. The run out the river was white knuckle. I hit what I think was a log in the river but luckily didn't hit it all that hard. Then I drug skeg through some mud for quite some distance but fortunately had enough speed to power through. Skinny. The wind was howling out in the bay, coming from the NE and fighting hard against the weak incoming tide. The tide was supposed to be a +2.6 but it looked more to me like it was barely a positive tide at all. I fought my way to some islands and bars but the water was so low I could barely make it within casting distance of the banks. I waited a while but no water ever really showed up. That started to concern me because I knew the tide was now going OUT and it was already super skinny. It was also disappointing that the high tide didn't produce any fish... or any sort of high tide really. I was thinking by now that there was a definite chance I was going to get skunked. I made another run (more like idle) to a different creek that I'd never fished before. I figured if I was going to get skunked I might as well scout out some new creeks. I pushed way back into this one mostly just looking around when I buttoned up with a really nice fish that fought like crazy. It took me a long time to bring him in.

h678PYk.jpg

YRXUaub.jpg

It measured up a little over 30 inches, I was pretty stoked. I pushed in further into the creek. I spooked one nice red which I didn't even see until he'd spooked. Then I hooked up again, and again it was another super hard fight. This fish was bigger though, over 32 inches. It had a head on it the size of a football, a real stud fish.

Khr54c1.jpg

GE5OgRz.jpg

I fished a few more hours after that but didn't catch anything else and decided to roll around 5. Talked to a guy who said he'd caught a dozen under slot trout out on the grass flats. Sounds like the trout have made their way out there so I imagine action on them should be good soon.

Replies

• gatorsaintgatorsaint Posts: 175 Deckhand
    Those fish have been eating well! Great way to end a day on the water. Good job Jim!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,531 Captain
    Those are some awesome looking fish, nicely done...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 637 Officer
    :banana

Oh man those are some nice reds. Think you pulled the airboat move by getting back in there with such little water!
  • Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    :thumbsup
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,226 Officer
    Those hogs made the white knuckle trip worth it for sure.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,121 AG
    That little ol dip net of yours is going to have to get super sized. :rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    Haha, yeah. It's a trout fishing net that I bought to keep in my Gheenoe since space is at a premium. It doesn't exactly fit an overslot redfish very well, LOL.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,773 Captain
    Holy Macaroni!!! Demz some Bullhaidz if I ever seen them!!! Great job Jim on making a whole lot outa nuttin!!! Just plain Awesome!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Quad32xQuad32x Anthony , FloridaPosts: 123 Deckhand
    I was at CK and noticed it looked like the tide was low all day. Nice reds !
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Really nice reds ! I heard Crystal River didn't have any water either.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,270 Admiral
    Two big reds from a new spot is a good day.
    capt louie wrote: »
    Really nice reds ! I heard Crystal River didn't have any water either.

Yeah even my friends in Homosassa said it was low water all day. It looks like fishing was tough for a lot of people due to that. Some made the choice to run offshore for sheeps or spanish and did fairly well.
  • EbbtideEbbtide Posts: 198 Officer
    Hella nice fish jim!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike
    Custom Fishing Rods & Rod Repair.
    www.backcountrysportsmen.com
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 468 Deckhand
    Those are some hogs Jim. nice!
    Jim, did you happen to weigh any of them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    I did not, but they were both fatties, heavy fish!
    I have had many question the weight of the one I am holding. Old school measurement before the pinch at 32 1/2 inches.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• 0-sea-d0-sea-d Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I went out of the park on Ft. Island Trl in Crystal River on the 29th also. Man was I mad....the water was low and never moved. I only ran out into cedar creek and had no luck. My 7yo son started complaining about his throat so we came back in. By the time we got home he had a fever. Overall a cruddy day.....and, still better than working
    Flash wrote: »
    I have had many question the weight of the one I am holding. Old school measurement before the pinch at 32 1/2 inches.

Whatever it weighs it is clearly a nice fish!
    0-sea-d wrote: »
    I went out of the park on Ft. Island Trl in Crystal River on the 29th also. Man was I mad....the water was low and never moved. I only ran out into cedar creek and had no luck. My 7yo son started complaining about his throat so we came back in. By the time we got home he had a fever. Overall a cruddy day.....and, still better than working

Yeah even on days I get skunked I enjoy being out on the boat. Definitely beats work.