Home General Fishing

Unknown fish - please help me with some advice

keyhorskeyhors Posts: 16 Greenhorn
Hey folks,

just got a photo on my cell - from a friend. I'm a greenhorn and have never seen such a fish before. I tried to find it but had no luck!

Can you help me please?

unknownfish.jpg

Replies

• Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    You have one grunt, one parrotfish, and one mangrove snapper
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • keyhorskeyhors Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Thank you, it was the parrotfish I was looking for! Amazing, man! Thanks!

Do they have a good food value?
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Just a friendly reminder... Your friend is taking a chance on breaking the law if he harvests a fish, but doesn't know the state regs for said fish.
  • keyhorskeyhors Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I know but he is located outside the US. And it seems to me that they have just little regulations there, sadly!
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Good point! A prime example of why I try not to assume too much. Welcome to the forum.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    keyhors wrote: »
    Thank you, it was the parrotfish I was looking for! Amazing, man! Thanks!

Do they have a good food value?

Parrotfish are seldom eaten but said to be very good. The snapper & grunt are delish!:thumbsup
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Parrot fish are fantastic....a member of the wrasse family which of course is the same family of the hog snapper....they sometime get the cig. Problems....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,654 Moderator
    Top fish looks like pinfish to me.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,323 Officer
    Top fish looks like pinfish to me.

I immediately thought it was a blue striped grunt too, but now... hmmmmm

Either way, great grouper bait.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,654 Moderator
    hossmoss wrote: »
    I immediately thought it was a blue striped grunt too, but now... hmmmmm