Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Dad's lament

Dad was kind of depressed the other day. He now has it firmly in his head he will never be able to visit the Gulf again. Unfortunately he may be right. The doctors have advised him not to stray too far.

He was talking about all the nice people he met at the coast and how he missed seeing them. He wanted me to say hello to them. So hello from Dad to all. He mentioned some in particular that he had remembered the names of. He said to make sure I thanked Harris, Scott, Chuck, Alge and "Mallet" & Gina for all the kindness you showed an "old man". He sure wishes he could go for another fishing trip and visit everyone again!

He's still staying strong. One stroke blinded him in his right eye. One stroke has taken away the use of his right arm. BUT, he passed his driving test all on his own and still goes to the store and shops with his co-pilot (Mom).

We are a blessed family to have this "old man". Everyone just loves him so much. From the great-grandchildren to the dog, everyone loves Grand Pa Ed.

Any way here is a big HELLO from Ed to you!

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,689 AG
    Tell Mr. Ed that the NW crew says hello. I'm watching an older mentor of mine that is starting to go through what your father is. His mind is as sharp as a tack but his mobility and balance are fading fast. He used to go to the lake and fish 5 days a week by himself and now only gets to his boat a few times a month. He fell a few weeks ago when I was down (didn't get hurt) there and he made me promise I wouldn't tell his wife. He's afraid that would have been his last trip to his boat alone. Me and his son are good friends and we decided that we would take turns taking him fishing to at least get him out but we know it isn't the same as him going on his own.

God bless us all and especially the older folks in our lives.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,627 Captain
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,399 Moderator
    It was honor the deck hand for your dad. I'd do it again if I had the chance.
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,041 Officer
    Illinois - Maybe you can bring him down again soon. If he can drive, sounds like he could fish - perhaps with one of those electric reels.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    what's up, Mr IF Sr?
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • GANDERGANDER Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Sure hope he can get another trip in with all your gang. Prob wouldn't be the first thing he did AMA... We plan to be in your neighborhood with Chris next week. Will send a pic of all the trout we catch at the end of your dock! ;) That will fire him up!
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,315 Admiral
    Trying to cheer Dad up and took him to lunch yesterday. He had his favorite LAKE PERCH. He could just barely walk 50' to the door. Taking him for some shots in his knees next week. I hope it helps!

I remember getting off Scott Luke's "Renegade" a few years ago and I had to struggle while Dad bounded over the rail like he was 30. Sad to see him this crippled up.

It would be a real blessing just to get him down to fish the dock. Not likely though.

Billy, I explained to him your nickname was Mullet not Mallet. I told him you had been working out and doing cross fit and ironman type stuff. Also told him you were going abroad to compete. He said your new nickname might have to be "sledgehammer" then. I guess the Mullet/Mallet explanation didn't quite set in. Anyway he said hello once more.
  • MulletteMullette Posts: 38 Deckhand
    We have missed seeing all of you! Please tell your dad I said hello :)