Home Angler On Foot

Wading Etiquette

We always hear of "boating" etiquette. What do you all feel is a reasonable distance between waders? I fish a cut locally pretty often, last week I had a few guys that "heard" the commotion of my catching a few fish. Never saw these 2 before. The flat itself is pretty big. Id say 1.0 mile long, and up to .50 wide. These two come within - say a zara spook cast with a stiff wind at my back. Too close in my eyes. If I can cast say that far, and you can cast toward me and we can possibly catch each others lines.... That is way too close. I dunno

Replies

• TXgulfcoastTXgulfcoast Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I say 100 yards is enough space. Anything else is too close...
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Football field is good.
  • SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    about a school zone...
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,382 Captain
    If I can see the color of a guys hat, I'll make an effort to put more distance between us.
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    it depends where you're fishing. some places could be elbow to elbow
    snipper wrote: »
    it depends where you're fishing. some places could be elbow to elbow

Understood..... A flat that is 1.0 long approx (actually 1.2) and at widest point just under a half mile. Elbow to elbow is only needed if rendering assistance to an injured angler lol. Last year..... Had plans to hit a stretch in Lemon Bay. Drove the 45+ minutes, walked the 1.0 mile walk, slip in, boat to my south, kayak directly in front, and 2 waders to my North. A short "*$(@(@ of a bit(&" and back to the car I went. There is a reason why i chose to do most of my wading during the week, and a reason why I usually arrive just before 5pm. Beat the "5 oclock, Im done with work, heading to flat" crowd.

Now, if we are talking jetty fishing, there is only so much space... Elbow to elbow is expected.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    It's weird Huh It seems people just want get be close to another person. Maybe a sense of safety. I have noticed the same thing at the gym No matter what station or machine You wanna use. within a couple mins someone wants to use the same station or equipment.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Come on Keith... Next time just yell to yourself, "Man if I catch another ladyfish I'm going to leave!" and deal with your snook/reds quietly... I thought this was shore fishing 101.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
    Lol Eric. Unfort, i think half of the folks that do get too close are after ladyfish!
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    We always hear of "boating" etiquette. What do you all feel is a reasonable distance between waders? I fish a cut locally pretty often, last week I had a few guys that "heard" the commotion of my catching a few fish. Never saw these 2 before. The flat itself is pretty big. Id say 1.0 mile long, and up to .50 wide. These two come within - say a zara spook cast with a stiff wind at my back. Too close in my eyes. If I can cast say that far, and you can cast toward me and we can possibly catch each others lines.... That is way too close. I dunno

Today, I'm working a bank with the wind to a creek mouth with the intent of catching some reds on a grassy point with deeper water surrounding it on the north side of the creek, Just as I'm getting in casting range - 3 guys come off the bank from the access road - wade right in the middle of where I was planning on casting and start pounding plastic rod holders into the sand - then start throwing surf rigs with 4 oz weights and cut bait. So much for that hour locating and stalking the fish.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
    BTW - The funny thing was those guys were fishing for reds. If they had just pitched the cut bait from the bank with no weight onto the point - they would have loaded up.
    gettinwet wrote: »
    Just as I'm getting in casting range - 3 guys come off the bank from the access road - wade right in the middle of where I was planning on casting and start pounding plastic rod holders into the sand

Sucks! Did they see you making your way that way? Sometimes I just wonder if they (people like that) really just dont know any better? Like they are not "into it" like we are and just dont realize what the are actually doing.
    Sucks! Did they see you making your way that way? Sometimes I just wonder if they (people like that) really just dont know any better? Like they are not "into it" like we are and just dont realize what the are actually doing.

I believe it is the latter - they were nice enough folks - I stopped and talked to them a bit. I'm sure they saw me approaching - though they probably had no idea what my intentions were - I even think they rushed out there before I could get there because they were afraid I was going to take their "spot" (apparently per our conversation this was their honey hole which I can understand why - the grass on the point was surrounded by a wasteland of sand/mud flats - so if you pitched a cut bait along the edge it was just a matter of time before a red working the bank would swim by and find it).
    I'm sure they saw me approaching - though they probably had no idea what my intentions were - I even think they rushed out there before I could get there because they were afraid I was going to take their "spot"

They saw u approaching, Im sure they knew your intentions! I would have waded past screaming and stomping around like I was being chased by a 10 foot bull shark. You were there first. Like I said in previous posts... No different than packing the car, cooler filled with meat, charcoal, etc....with intentions to going to the beach and grilling at the beach at one of the 10 grills provided.... You intend to set up and the grill all the way to the South, but u get there, a family is grilling on it. Do you just slap your burgers and chicken breasts down? Or do you find another grill? We dont own the grill, nor does the family on it already, but you respect the fact that they were there first and move along. Early bird......
    Perfect example..... Tonight I had intentions on wading a flat for the low tide and hit staging areas in prep for the incoming....Had an area in mind. Got there, wind changed my plans. I really had no choice but to face SE as wind was blowing pretty stiff out of the NW. Look to my SE and there are 2 guys paddling to the area (saw them launching) in kayaks in the area. Oh well.... Went NW and proceeded to get skunked by casting as best as I could into the wind in a total different area. I probably had enough room where I could have waded that way, maybe shout out "would you guys mind if I slipped on by"... but... In my eyes. They were there first. My loss. Should have got there 15 minutes earlier than I had planned.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Today, I'm working a bank with the wind to a creek mouth with the intent of catching some reds on a grassy point with deeper water surrounding it on the north side of the creek, Just as I'm getting in casting range - 3 guys come off the bank from the access road - wade right in the middle of where I was planning on casting and start pounding plastic rod holders into the sand - then start throwing surf rigs with 4 oz weights and cut bait. So much for that hour locating and stalking the fish.

Most likely Yankees or Britts, both seem to refuse to adapt to local rigs.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr