Home Fly Fishing

Biscayne Bay Bonefish 12#

jnrosenthaljnrosenthal Posts: 17 Deckhand
A 12 lb bonefish from the west side of the Bay this past Sunday.My third double digit in the Bay in my 5 years' flyfishing for bones--this one undoubtedly the heaviest. Subdued on a Sage Method 8wt, Nautilus NV 8/9 and a ratty shrimp fly. Bonefishing has reportedly been hot this past week in the Bay, and I was pleased to be a beneficiary this weekend.Lots of big fish showing up this week--either survivors of the 09/10 freeze, or new stock that's grown.

Replies

• JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    Donk! Sunday was very good, got 2 in the kayak. Bay is finally back to pre-freeze fishing. Do you have a pic of that pattern?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,531 Moderator
    Great fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    Awesome bone!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • jnrosenthaljnrosenthal Posts: 17 Deckhand
    thanks, guys

Joe--the fly was identical to the one nearest the coin, however the pattern was the tan and brown alternating stripes of the other fly shown.
    i had just lost my go to fly-a muskrat fur item tied by my guide that i stopped a 10 lb bone with last year-but i lost it and my tippet Sunday to an eagle ray that actually ate it--and spent 5 minutes retying my tippet and was too lazy to dig in my bag for one of the 150 more desirable flies I carry with me-and we were seeing an apparent push--so i pulled out my little plastic cup with my flies i use for wading-and the only one that looked passable was the one i tied on--by then the fish/push had moved 100 yards away, but like the pretty woman in the Roy Orbison song, they evidently changed their minds and came back and got within a long cast, which I was able to make ..2 or three short strips and off we went--there was very little line that needed clearing...

Joe--btw is that a native kayak you fish from? i have a motorized tandem but orthopedic issues have kept me from fishing from it for over a year-and I wont be getting back to it until after my recent shoulder replacement is fully rehabbed and my (2nd)new knee has been rehabbed after surgery scheduled for mid july--meanwhile i fish with a guide or on friends' skiffs-or wade
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Wow, what a great Bonefish!! Congrats.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
  • KayakFishingClassicSKayakFishingClassicS Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Woza! Very nice for sure...congrats. We will be down there kayaking, camping and throwing feathers at bones for a week of filming. Can't wait and I hope we catch one as nice as that. Awesome job landing it big.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]