Home Egret Boats

Breaking the new motor in...first impression

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
I may need some time to acclimate to no head snapping and just leave things as they are. I was actually on plane doing 10 mph! I could not do that before! The hole shot is still bothersome because I need to learn to feel the softness of it. I started watching the bow very closely while accelerating, the word that comes to mind is effortless. Getting on plane is just effortless. It's a different skiff with this power plant.
I took the skiff out back to start the breaking in of the new motor. I headed west till I hit the Gulf aka Florida Bay. The whitecaps were building and visibility was poor. Luckily I was running the FMT chip so I kept it on the red track, found the local markers and headed for Bow channel. As I approached the bridge I noticed a Pelican, she was not quite right, kind of tilted over. Recently, some POS has been mutilating pelicans in our area. I came off plane and approached the bird which made little effort to escape. Only after getting right next to her would she then softly paddle away. I called the wildlife rescue folks who agreed to meet me nearby with a net to scoop up the bird. I did not want to leave the bird to bring the wildlife rescue folks for fear of losing her. Just then a woman appeared paddling a Kayak. I asked if she would help me catch the pelican. She thought I was a little askew but agreed to help. She used her kayak to herd the bird next to my skiff so I could grab her bill and scoop her up into my skiff. We then loaded her kayak onto the skiff and headed for the rescue folks who were waiting at the campground. It looked like this bird had shot and an attempt made to cut his pouch like other birds recently discovered starving in our area. I wish I could say it was a feel good day having saved a pelican but I cannot get over that someone in my neighborhood is abusing these wonderful birds.
I'm very happy with this motor, it really screams. I think it will give the Pro XS 175 a run for the money! I'll be looking at a 4 blade prop since I do not need a 55 mph skiff. I'd rather a stronger hole shot. Did I mention it is as Quiet as the etec! You cannot hear it idling.

Replies