Long absence from Cedar Key

I haven't fished Cedar Key in a number of years and as I am in Western g'ville I am looking to get back into it. How is the new ramp for solo launching (small CC with T-Top) and would you recommend Sea Tow or Tow Boat US for that area? I did a search, but figure one person moving could change the whole dynamic.

Pretty much stay in/near shore. Definitely need more water than that sweat Ghonoe 25 being posted! Thanks for any advise you have.

"Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Outside ramp can be launched at any tide. Inside ramp may not fit your t-top on high tides due to the bridge and there's no water on low tides.
  • bullbaybullbay Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Sea Tow.
  • me3260me3260 Posts: 102 Officer
    I have seen people launch some pretty crazy boats on the inside ramp. There is a guy that I have seen launch a 24' Parker Cabin cuddy in there. Scraped the crap out of the lower unit, but he didnt seem to mind :shrug

There is actually quite a bit of clearance depending on how high your T-Tops are. Danny Allen and the Saltwater Assassin guys use the inside ramp quite a bit, and they have tall towers on those boats.

Sea Tow is your only option around Cedar Key.
  • TW22TW22 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Boats US has ports in Yankeetown, CR and Steinhatchee.

Make sure you do your research and read the fine print before you buy.

Not sure what you are looking for, but Boat US was a little cheaper, and depending on your coverage will come and get you 75 miles off.

CK is within the normal tow range for Boat US.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,348 Admiral
    The new outside ramp is nice.
    Launching solo, you'll have to board the boat and motor around to the dock rather than just launch and use the bowline to guide it to the docks. They placed tall pilings at each corner of the ramp end which block you from pulling the boat 'round by a line.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,798 Captain
    Lock all of your stuff up really good...:machinegun
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • WC53WC53 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys, The dock (no bowline) was exactly what I was looking for. I had a bunch of gear stolen from there in the 90's and didn't figure it was much better! No more staying overnight.... My T-Top is pretty tall for a small boat so I was crossing the inner ramp off, but I will look at it. Probably take a charter or such to get reacquainted to the inshore oysters.....
    "Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,798 Captain
    WC53 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, The dock (no bowline) was exactly what I was looking for. .....
    Aint changed a bit. meth head central...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    Yeah plenty of druggies there still. The launch fee sucks too at CK but hey... gotta pay it I guess...
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    The launch fee plus the crap parking situation are why you'll rarely find me at CK unless we're going offshore fishing.
  • me3260me3260 Posts: 102 Officer
    I would take a lot of this hate talk of Cedar Key with a grain of salt. I have fished out of there probably 50 times in the past year and a half and I have NEVER had an issue with thievery or anyone messing with my truck etc.

The past 10 or so times I have been over there, they have Marina staff hanging around the launch all day, plus the cops are around.

Now I'm not saying leave your St. Croix leaning against your tail gate, but Jesus, people make it sound like Jacksonville or something.

Is there a launch fee? Yes. Do I always pay it? No way. Most of the time I prefer to park at the Hardware store anyways. I would rather pay them $10 than pay the $13 anyways.

Also, I feel MUCH safer leaving my truck parked at Cedar Key all day than I would at the Waccassasa launch. Sure it's free, but it also might as well be the wild west over there.

I know a lot of the guys on here like to hate on Cedar Key every chance they get, and granted, it's not perfect. That being said, I think that there is at least an effort being made to improve the town and facilities. I fish from there every chance I get, and I have never had any thing occur to make me hesitate going back. Just stay away on art festival weekends, and take reasonable precautions with your property.
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    By no means am I hating on CK! I love that stanky town haha but like every launch, it has positives and negatives. I fish out of CK more than any other place out of my yak and big boat.
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com