Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ok, I once again have proved that I am an idiot.

Yesterday I was doing some volunteer work for a municipality and running their bull dozer. The winter had rusted off the rear view mirror and I had just sent someone to fetch me a bolt on mirror while I was back dragging a road for them.. Bamm .... I hit a 36' light pole square and snap it off completely. The embarrassment was beyond belief. I guess I just have to prove what a dumb **** I am every so often. This was the worst and most embarrassing accident I have ever had while operating a machine.

:rolleyes

Replies

• illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Yes. thanks Robert. It could have been worse .... they park a bunch of fancy cars thereabout often! The sheer embarrassment was just at a level I had never experienced before. 40 years experience should have told me not to run without that mirror. Haste makes waste would probably be an appropriate caption for my actions. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,597 Captain
    At least you didn't hit it going forward.
    One of my drivers up in Thomaston last week snapped one off at the ground while making a turn going forward.
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,871 Captain
    That's an awful feeling, but we've all made mistakes. Just good no one is hurt. That pole needed replacement anyway.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,342 Admiral
    I told them not to put that pole there
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Slough wrote: »
    I told them not to put that pole there

Who would put a pole in a road anyway???
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Fighting being stupid, finally a thread well ya know

Glad your OK, IF
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    I'll 2nd the "glad you're ok.

When I drove on 18 wheels , I ran over all kinds of
    Stuff..
    Signs, auxiliary fuel tanks. Concrete barricades.
    I was in the managers office every 3 months over
    Something that got run over and torn up.
    And rule # 1 ... Never back up.
    It'll be ok IL Fisherman.
    God, save the South!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    If that is the worst that happens to you this year, then you are doing ok. We all do dumb stuff, takes a man to admit it
    You should have been here yesterday
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 816 Officer
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Who would put a pole in a road anyway???
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,342 Admiral
    OK, the rest of the story, now we know what Ill was looking at when he hit the pole. Guessing she was on break.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,148 Admiral
    disstractions like that will cause accidents every time!
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,482 Officer
    No worries, God forgives sinners that snap light poles with bulldozers, if they are doing volunteer work.:Rockon
  • billybob11billybob11 Posts: 422 Deckhand
    Only people who don't make mistakes. Are the ones who don't do anything
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    Reminds me of a joke..."Dang brother, I don't believe I'd a told that".
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 865 Officer
    I feel your pain. Backing up has become much more difficult at my age (67) than it used to, have the dents and dings on the truck to prove it. I don't bend to look over my shoulder well now and rely more and more on the mirrors, backing the boat trailer is much tougher. I totally relate to your concern and glad you are OK.
    wishfishin wrote: »
    Reminds me of a joke..."Dang brother, I don't believe I'd a told that".

For a long time I have been of the belief that a person needs to highlight his faults and mistakes much more than his accomplishments and successes. It ingrains a sense of humility within you. Never be too proud to let yourself be laughed at! Of course I seem to play the court jester much more than most! --- :troll
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    For the record, did the dozer sustain any damage?
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 791 Officer
    I can shoulda, coulda, woulda with the best of em!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,642 AG
    Good thing is nobody was hurt. You will look back and get a laugh at this in the future.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Bakerman wrote: »
    For the record, did the dozer sustain any damage?

Not a scratch!
    Cranfield wrote: »
    No worries, God forgives sinners that snap light poles with bulldozers, if they are doing volunteer work.:Rockon

They are so good to my family and friends I'll help out whenever I can, and usually I can accomplish a little without causing any damage.

Cran, Last November we were hanging about the stadium when a whole bunch of fine busses pull up to the practice field. We pay little attention but all of a sudden my son-in-law stops dead in his tracks. I ask him what's up. He says that's the "New Zealand All Blacks". I said so what what's that anyway. He said just the best rugby team in the world. I tell him to go over and watch them and their entourage. he does and the municipal people just let him hang out there. After they beat what was one of the USA's best teams 74-6 in Soldiers Field a few days later I am talking to the people in charge and mentioned how much the SIL was impressed. They say we should have called and they would have let him mingle on the field with the visitors that went out there to meet them. He is invited to do so if and when they ever return. That might not mean much to the average American but would be a priceless moment for a much loved family member that grew up playing rugby back at home. Little things like that invite mean so much to me I trip over myself trying to help when asked. This time it seems like I tripped over a 35" pole! :nono