Drum beat 10 to 1

Yesterday Morning.

Set up three rods/spikes..

Got Bit on small rod with 6lb Tournament Ande Mono. Big Bite.

Long Long Long Fight. Shannon gets tired after 20 minutes or so............ Hands off to lucky young Angler.... Upon being handed the fully loaded rod he looked up to his mother and said..."It is So Strooong"......

Young Angler weighs less than the fish and he gets tired in short order and Shannon goes back to work......

She Best the Beast with only a connection of 6lb Mono.

And the Young Angler gets a picture of his young lifetime to send to his Dad overseas............

What a great Morning.

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,708 Captain
    That's a HOG for 6# line!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • waynowayno Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Great fish there and big smiles great job all around..
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,165 Officer
    Way cool!!! Awesome pic of the little boy with the rod doubled over. He'll remember that forever. That's what it's all about right there......

Livin' the Dream !
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Great fish there Garbo. Good to hear from you again.
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 732 Officer
    Nice work and great job on getting the young ones in on the action.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Very cool!
    :fishing:grin
  • WhiteArvilWhiteArvil Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Nice fish--but you've probably made the boy a a fish'in addict
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,911 Moderator
    That's awesome. Great that you guys had a nice day on the beach away from the crazies. Looks like boy was completely thrilled, even better!

How long did it take to put that 60 pounder on the hill with that tackle? Sure looks like fun. I've never had the patience for surf fishing....I'm sure that's because I haven't tried enough and when I do I fail! Maybe one of these days we'll give it a shot and try to start learning.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,256 Officer
    It took very close to 45 minutes.

I am a member of the IGFA and upon getting the first good sight of the fish I told Shannon that it was a contender and that she should try to land it completely on her own and only that I would be able to assist at the beach in landing the fish. She understood this 30 minutes or so into the fight. The young boy that followed her closely obviously had a great interest in the event and she handed off the rod off to him after 30 minutes or so and allowed him to pull on the fish and his mother to take as many pictures as she could before he got too tired. By handing the rod off she disqualified the catch to be considered as a line class record and she was fine with it.

The current IGFA Womens 6lb line class record for Black Drum has stood since May of 2007 at 63lbs 12oz. She knows what she done and she knows the fish was a Contender which may be more valuable to her than the cotton and silver record certificate.

I will tell you that watching her wade out into the surf and revive that fish as carefully as she did and set it free will be something I will never forget......It seemed as Big as she is and she cared for it as if it were a small creature in need of help and waded out with it pulled it through the water while reviving the Huge Drum until it could go on its on......It was Beautiful. Records have their place and are meant to be broken............ but what she done is Timeless.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,911 Moderator
    Awesome, stuff! Nothing more fun than introducing youth to an exciting time behind the rod. I'm jealous. You posted this post while I was driving a desk; except for the periodic head-into soft spot in the wall. JEALOUS!

Catch em up!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"