Road trip - Matanzas 3/21

Took a road trip to the east coast to meet up with friends and family. Worked in a few hours of fishing off the bank at Matanzas. I'm not terribly familiar with the area but a friend of mine told me where to fish so I worked the bank in the area he told me. On my second cast I had a nice redfish blow up my spook but it didn't take it. Shortly after I landed a small jack. Action slowed down after that, it was a pretty strong low tide from the look of it. I also had a blowup from what I think was a trout. So basically I lost more fish than I landed but I just wanted to kill some time and wet a line for a bit since I knew I wouldn't be able to fish the rest of the weekend. I fished off the beach behind our condo as well and could see tails in the waves but nobody would chew. I never have much luck fishing in the surf so I gave up on that pretty quick. Today I went to Cumberland Island which is always pretty cool. The tide there was a +6.6 in the morning and a -1.3 in the afternoon which impressed me. They have huge tidal swings up there! Fun weekend, wish I'd gotten to fish more or caught something worth taking a pic of but thems the breaks especially fishing unfamiliar places for short periods of time.

kYmMENZl.jpg

Replies

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 887 Officer
    Beautiful area there, Fished a few time in the area from shore with little luck. A few trout and rat reds. But enjoyed the area a lot.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    It seemed real fishy. I saw a few guys fishing the bridge pilings and saw one catch a nice sheepshead.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    There is some good fishing around the inlet. Need 4 wheel drive to get down that beach. Sugar sand will bury a 2wd really quick. I used to fish it alot when I was younger. Lots of pompano and big whiting on the beach. Reds inside the pass and always sheeps and jacks around the pilings. Big drum too.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    That whole area has some great tide swings, now your starting to get into Capt Scott neighbor hood...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    One thing I will say is that the area makes me appreciate the places I fish. There were offshore boats and jetskis running everywhere, just people in every direction. When I fish the Big Bend seeing people is a lot more rare. But then again, there's really very few places to fish from shore in my area, much less places to fish from shore and then grab a beer and a burger at a restaurant while you do it. It's very different.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
    It's a neat area. I did a couple of trips out of there in the past. Lots of tarpon ocean side in the summer along with a bazillion sharks.
    "You'll get your weather"
    The inlet looked treacherous as hell once you got out past the bridge, the current was ripping.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Note: They closed the beach to driving below the Southernmost ramp, nearest Matanzas Inlet, years ago. The only way "to get down that beach... around the inlet" at Matanzas is on foot.
    ripnlips wrote: »
    There is some good fishing around the inlet. Need 4 wheel drive to get down that beach. Sugar sand will bury a 2wd really quick. I used to fish it alot when I was younger. Lots of pompano and big whiting on the beach. Reds inside the pass and always sheeps and jacks around the pilings. Big drum too.