CR 03/21/15

Rolled out early after being skunked last weekend and thought would give it a try this time in some different areas.........the fish were far and few between, even though I could see them on the sounder, just not very hungry yet I guess and we were on site at about 8 in the morning. Took a load of fresh shrimp, filled the livewell and headed out for a nice day. The tide was a low but smooth for the run out. Took a friend and his wife and daughter and they had never been on a boat before........ever.......let along try some fishing. I made sure to give them some dramamine just in case. As luck has it, first time out they did well and snatched some spanish mackeral and that is about all we had all day, nothing else, but they were hitting good and we got some pretty niced sized one. Myself, not a fan of them for just eating, but they do smoke up nicely and make a great fish dip, so we brought them back home and cleaned them up and will smoke them this weekend. Overall a great day on the water and we were back around 3, finished washing and cleaning the boat and then the fish up around 7 that night and just flat worn out. Can't wait to get back out and grab some more and maybe some cobia and some mangroves soon.

Replies

• shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 854 Officer
    Nice jobs on the MACKS.......Was a nice day out there
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Glad to hear the macks are in numbers! Thanks for the report! :grin
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    Mack bite is strong right now. Great report.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,851 Moderator
    Cool ! First boat ride and first fish. Nice job.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Tail ChaserTail Chaser Gulf Hammock, FlPosts: 41 Greenhorn
    Smoked mackerel dip is delicious IMO. They're welcome any day in my boat.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 924 Officer
    Macks are a lot of fun. Guess I'm not that picky, when you bread and fry it they all taste about the same to me.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    They do make some great dip, good job on getting your crew on some fish action...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    nice macks... i knew they had to be showing up when my line was magically cut in half a few times this past weekend.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,814 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Cool ! First boat ride and first fish. Nice job.

Sure was and to have Mac's as your 1st catch is awesome!!! They are fast and fight so hard for their size> Excellent fish to get someone hooked on fishing!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Macks are a lot of fun. Guess I'm not that picky, when you bread and fry it they all taste about the same to me.

Exactly!!! I agree!! If you grill them they are every bit as tasty as cobia or redfish....and not as dry! :grin
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,939 Captain
    Now, wait a minute. I use macks for smoke fish dip, their excellent believe it or not for-Cerviche. But, i'll take a cobia any day over macks to eat. On your catching, I bet you guys had a ball with those speedsters. They are some great fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Yes, we had a great time...........especially the daughter..........she was standing there thinking it was no big deal and then that big boy hit that shrimp and it was on........she was freaking out, glad she didn't let go of the rod, but not knowing what to do and I just coached her to the back of the boat and that boy was fighting.......I had her keep the tension and keep reeling and before you know it, it was at the side of the boat in the net and on deck.....her heart was going a mile a minute and hands were shaking and breathing hard.........she did great the rest of the day and caught two more and the smile never left her face. I think she may be hooked, so that is a good thing. I was hoping we would get into some fish and that was exactly what I wanted, something nice sized and plenty of fight and that is what she got. Her dad nearly dropped his phone in the water trying to get it out of his pocket to film it and take pics and he was as bad as a mess as she was and all I could do was laugh and get the fish in the boat.