transducer question

My ten year old Eagle depth finder ,finally craped out.I glued the transducer to the hull and it worked fine. I'm looking for a new simple depth finder, but I need to know ,can you mount any transducer to the hull ?The unit I'm looking at doesn't say.

Replies

• CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    Poppadock
    I’m not sure of your question. Generally there are three types of transducers; a thru-hull, a shoot thru, and a transom mount. The thru-hull requires cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat…I assume you are not talking about this. The “shoot-thru” type is epoxied / glued to the interior hull. The “transom mount” is affixed to the exterior of the transom and must be in direct contact with water to work.
    So…Although I have not attempted it, the transom mount cannot be epoxied to the interior of the hull. Most of the more simple units will come with a transom mount transducer, a shoot-thru type will probably have to purchased separately.
    Hope this helped.
  • poppadockpoppadock Posts: 140 Officer
    Yeah, I'm talking about a shoot thru.That"s what I have now.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,164 AG
    Why do you want a shoot thru and not a transom mount?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • poppadockpoppadock Posts: 140 Officer
    It works better at high speed and in a rough chop.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,164 AG
    Most come with transom mounts. Possible you can find one that will work on eBay or Amazon. Just gotta have the correct mhz I believe. Added cost though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,552 Captain
    poppadock wrote: »
    It works better at high speed and in a rough chop.

No water temp though. My old boat had a shoot thru. I really don't remember it performing any better at hi speeds or chop.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    I have epoxied transom mount transducers inside the hull on two fiberglass boats. They worked with no problems and were more reliable than when they had been mounted on the transom. I'm not sure that a side imaging transducer would work epoxied into the hull, but the simple ones I used worked fine. I only used them for depth.