Home Egret Boats

Egret Lazy Boy Recliner

91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
I challenged Frank with a project to make my skiff more comfortable for my style of fishiing. I noticed people sitting or leaning on the platform all day were really complaining about their backs hurting. I do a lot of week long trips to the glades and after about 2 or 3 days people were having to lay down on the deck for extended periods to rest their backs. I was sitting up front in a bass seat running the trolling motor and wasn't having any issues.

Ever since I bought the boat I had been thinking about a way to get a comfortable seat on the rear deck and still be able to get in the livewell easily. Finally the idea hit me to make the platform removable and build a support for a bass seat from the bases. That way I can switch back and forth depending on fishinng style. Frank and I toseed the idea around and he came up with a design I'm thrilled with. The livewell opens fully, the motor trims up fully, and the seat support will fold back out of the way to dump a netfull of bait in the well. Frank came up with the idea of using a down rigger swivel for the swiveling base.

As I was pulling away Frank said, "don't show anybody this I don't want to build anymore of these." I know it was a pain but I had to share his good work.

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Very nice! Frank Is a great engineer.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    That sounds like some of the quotes I got from Frank during my build. Cool idea. I'm still waiting for you to show me some of that sight fishing in the rivers you told me about...
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I can't do it any more I don't have a platform! Ha!

Seriously, just about every creek running into the gulf down there has good sight fishing. Just look for the ones with a flat in the back with a little moat runniing through it. On the last 2 hours of the fall and first hour or two of the rise you will see plenty. Just keep the trolling motor in the little moats and you can stay in there all the way to the bottom of most tides. Once the tide comes up too far they get off the mud flats and back in the bushes and it's a waste of time. Once it gets warm enough for snook to get outside again it gets reallly good.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    That reminds me of a hotel handicap room..... although I do appreciate the handrails around the crapper after a long night.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    BTW... That 'engineering' can be accomplished by any pot smoking pipe fabricator in FL.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    How come you just didn't add a seat removable pedestal?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Ha! I like the handicapped rails around the toilette analogy. I knew I would catch some grief over this but it suits my needs really well.

Renegade, In my mind there wasn't room for a bass seat base between the livewell and helm under seat compartment. There is room on the 20'11" but even then it would drain into the livewell so you end up with satwater all over the underside of the base. If I put a base in the livewell lid, you have the same saltwater issue and you have to remove the seat any tme you are reaching in the well.

I wanted a place my Dad could sit and cast comfortably and also be able to open the well and sit back there and spoon out live chum for me.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I don't think the livewell lid would make a safe place for a bass seat. Too much torque on a couple of small screws and a slam latch IMHO. What you've got looks sturdy if bizarre. :) Bumper dumper springs to mind. You even have the Sea-bidet plumbing right there!

Make sure there are drain holes in any tubes that have openings. My removable platform frame was full of water from the bolted on step and I bet yours is too..
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Sweet addition! Never mind the naysayers.... It's your boat!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
    YET ANOTHER REASON WHY EGRETS REMAIN THE BEST!!! THE CUSTOM LIVEWELL SHIIITTTTTER!!! GOOOOOO FRANK!!! HIGH FIVE EVERYONE!!!!
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    PHOTO wrote: »
    YET ANOTHER REASON WHY EGRETS REMAIN THE BEST!!! THE CUSTOM LIVEWELL SHIIITTTTTER!!! GOOOOOO FRANK!!! HIGH FIVE EVERYONE!!!!

It's not just a shiiiiitttter it's a sex chair too. Yellowfin, eat your heart out.