Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

A little early yet...

Ran the boat yesterday after some maintenance projects on Saturday. Goal was Sheepshead. We caught a total of two. Watched.a on different boat catch one. Other buddy fished Sat and.Sunday with 0. Third guy I know caught one on Saturday. This weekend last year we caught a dozen. Tide.started falling.at noon and we.fished until 3 or so. Pretty sure the few fish being caught now are resident fish and have nothing to do with spawn. Also think thata six inch tide with howling N winds Fri and Sat hurt us. Bay was.low even on high tide. No current to push spawning bay fish to the rocks, which is where.we were.

Still a beautiful day out there even though we were already.covered in pontoon and jet ski idiots.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,801 Moderator
    Oh... And we saw a very large mystery fish at tide line.in gulf. All three.of us.saw was.huge.splash. Wife.saw the.fish. Said.100 percent not a dolphin,.king or.tarpon. Was "this big.around" she.said as she put herhands together around an imaginary barrel. Said.it had a pointed.nose.

I asked if it was wriggling about in air, or essentially motionless. She said more towards the motionless side. All I can figure is mako, or a misidentified dolphin. I'm thinking the former, though. She puts in a couple hundred hours.each year and knows a freaking dolphin when she.sees one. She also had eyes the size of saucers while describing what she saw. Wish i'd have caught a glimpse. Although, i'm not much for identifying fish species. I carry a little bound booklet with me to ID what I catch.
    Spent a little time rigging up these fellas Friday night. I'm ready for some wahoo!

S9595536E_zps5e0984d2.jpg

And just when this guy thought it couldn't get any worse!

WP_000820_zps5ab5840a.jpg
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Good report. We were out there as well in the pass and I saw you at the point. Caught 4 Sheeps but went through 3 dozen shrimp for those. They're definitely not there yet.

Nice buck!
    4, huh? That's better than what I've been hearing. Good job.

Where did you get them?
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    4, huh? That's better than what I've been hearing. Good job.

Where did you get them?

Middle of the pass. Lost about 3-4 bringing them up (assuming sheeps)
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    WP_000820_zps5ab5840a.jpg

Nice earrings.....LOL!!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,477 AG
    Sounds like a mako to me.
    Warning Level 2