Home Egret Boats

Cats outta the Bag...AMERACAT

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
After doing my due diligence and attempting Plan A and B Just before attempting plan C (thanks Phil UFG) Plan A became doable. Since I needed to have other work besides just hanging the motor I was fortunate enough to be introduced to Steve the builder of Ameracat Boats. For that I have to blame Renegade 69. Frank was kind enough to get involved and help me with the process. Not bad for a guy running an off brand little poling skiff...LOL I told Steve what I wanted and to please go over the whole skiff so I could address any unseen issues. Sure enough besides my cabin scuppers the through hull transom plastics needed replacement, my helm had been leaking and needed replacement, I wanted new fuel lines, and I needed both gateways, one for the Xi5 and another for the Mercury to Lowrance. Now all of them seem to work fine. There is one little bug, my speedometer works through the gps so if I leave the gps off the boat, no speedo! The tach works fine and essentially that's all I need. Now the BIG LETDOWN!!! The hole shot. I was shocked when my hat made no attempt to escape my head when I "floored it". It was like Turbo lag in a car, a hesitation and the it just eased up on plane. No head snapping, no roar of the engine just a whoosh and we were moving...FAST. It was no lie, two adults, 1/2 tank of gas, no cooler etc had us moving at 55 mph. I could not mask my disappointment about the hole shot, I guess I kinda whined about it. After talking with Frank and Steve I am going up in diameter one size and down in pitch to a 21 to see if that gives me that thrill back and I lose my hat. It may just be that with the 4 stroke I will have to deal with a much kinder and gentler hole shot...LOL I was running 50 mph from the ramp to the house with Renee sitting next to me and neither one of said "WHAT?" ONCE...LMAO THAT'S QUIET!

Replies

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Look at that rust on the steering wheel! Have you ever washed it? :)

Looks sharp. Your console drip tray looks uncaulked too like mine was and other boats I've heard of. If so I'd hit it and all the new fittings with black caulk on three sides: leave downhill side open. Same for any wires through console top that aren't sealed.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Look at that rust on the steering wheel! Have you ever washed it?

Obviously you don't know clean rust when you see it! You should have seen that seat before. It was covered in black spots from the bimini top dye. I have to ask them what they used. Bring your calk gun to the Marquesas trip and show me how to do it :)
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    mtd885 - quality rust detailing like no other. ;-)
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Drill some big old port holes in the prop..
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Should have bought the SHO. Lots of neck jerk .
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Put that 18 pitch on and you'll have to wear a neck brace!
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Michael,
    You at an age where you should be able to solve any problems nature throws at ya. Kinda like the guy on the TV commercial where he's towing a horse trailer with his pickup and ends up getting stuck in the mud. He pulls the horses out and uses them to pull the truck out.

Your solution is simple I'm surprised a guys as smart as you needs me to tell you how to get your head to turn around. Look put on the little blue outfit you got from FlatsBoy and head over to your nearest Spring Break Beach. Your head will be spinning left, right and BACK!:grin Glad to hear your back in action... Pete
    Thanks Pete, that's one way of getting me killed by my wife. It's friggen raining all day so far. I'm sitting here watching the water drip off my new motor.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I was asking Frank about that motor when I picked up my boat this weekend. He said he has one captain that already has 1,200 hours on it with zero issues. Captain had an Opti Max previously and said the reliability improvement is impressive.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Michael,
    You at an age where you should be able to solve any problems nature throws at ya. Kinda like the guy on the TV commercial where he's towing a horse trailer with his pickup and ends up getting stuck in the mud. He pulls the horses out and uses them to pull the truck out.

LMAO!
    Ah Pete, with friends like you who needs enemas!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I didn't think he really owned that outfit. I am extremely creeped out right now.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I didn't think he really owned that outfit. I am extremely creeped out right now.

Wrong cat....
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Should have bought the SHO. Lots of neck jerk .

True Story... You dont floor the SHO. You ease her up on plane or the seat will kindly roll your britches down!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado