Shell point fishing help?

Hello,
I will be with my boys over the coming weekend staying at shell point. I was wondering if anyone might offer some help as to where we might try? We will be staying around the mouth of Walker Creek. Not sure if that immediate area was good? I read a little about Red Fish Creek a little more inland. We were hoping to get into sheep head, reds, Trout, really anything that will give us some action on the water. We fish a fair amount on the Atlantic side south of St. Augustine. I was also hoping we might get some info as how best to rig up as well. We usually use jigs and shrimp or mud minnows. Not sure if it is similar in this area.

ANY help you might offer would be greatly appreciated. Would like to get my boys into some action if possible.

In advance, thanks for any help you might offer!!

George

Replies

• tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Tight line,

First you should ask this question on the NorthWest section. The Panhandle region is from Mexico Beach west. If you have never fished this area before be careful. There are many oyster bars to watch out for. Normally this time of year the sheephead are thick in our area but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. I went looking for them out of St Marks on Sunday and only found one. I had a buddy hit some of the inshore reefs on Sunday too and didn't get anything. I think you’re better off targeting reds and trout. My advice is to move around until you find them. Don't worry about spooking them at first. By taking this approach you will be able to pattern the fish. Once you figure that out then start focusing on like areas. This past Sunday after not locating the sheephead I decided to pole a shallow flat looking for reds. Saw a couple dozen tails but only landed a couple. I was in 6" to 8" of water max. With the warmer temps the fish should be hanging in the shallows, next to oyster bars and rocks since that area seams to warm the water the fastest. Wakulla Beach is just around the corner from Shell Point. I haven’t been their lately but that’s another good area to explore this time of year.
  • tight linetight line Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    tailwaters wrote: »
    Tight line,

First you should ask this question on the NorthWest section. The Panhandle region is from Mexico Beach west. If you have never fished this area before be careful. There are many oyster bars to watch out for. Normally this time of year the sheephead are thick in our area but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. I went looking for them out of St Marks on Sunday and only found one. I had a buddy hit some of the inshore reefs on Sunday too and didn't get anything. I think you’re better off targeting reds and trout. My advice is to move around until you find them. Don't worry about spooking them at first. By taking this approach you will be able to pattern the fish. Once you figure that out then start focusing on like areas. This past Sunday after not locating the sheephead I decided to pole a shallow flat looking for reds. Saw a couple dozen tails but only landed a couple. I was in 6" to 8" of water max. With the warmer temps the fish should be hanging in the shallows, next to oyster bars and rocks since that area seams to warm the water the fastest. Wakulla Beach is just around the corner from Shell Point. I haven’t been their lately but that’s another good area to explore this time of year.

Thanks again for taking the time and offering some great tips. Really appreciate it. Hope the warmer weather brings you great fishing!!