Home Fly Fishing

Fly dressing

E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
A bit breezy today so I thought I'd do a little housecleaning. I was cleaning and dressing some lines and ran out of my fly line dressing. :banghead You know the kind. It comes in a one ounce bottle and costs almost as much as perfume. I thought there has to be something I can buy at a hardware store that is the does the same thing. I'm pretty sure they just take something they buy for $2.00 a gallon then put it in a small bottle and sell it for $6-8.

I am hesitant to experiment with something that could ruin an $80 fly line. Any suggestions? I thought maybe "bug slide" or silicone spray lube? Someone on the forum must be resourceful than I am.

Replies

• darnhardheadsdarnhardheads Posts: 59 Deckhand
    Armor All. My Rio Agent X smells just like it but more concentrated.
  • idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 242 Deckhand
    I've always suspected many dressings were just Armor All or Rain-X, but hard to be positive. And, as you say, you're risking an expensive line to find out.
    The U. S. line manufacturers all suggest nothing but a few drops of Dawn in water, with a light rinse after. The new line coatings just need to be kept clean, not dressed. Dressing, in fact, can clog their pores (and promote pimples).
    But I'm like most - I long for the feel of something slick and low-friction, even if it does mean dumping a cast now and then.
    :)
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    idlerick wrote: »
    I've always suspected many dressings were just Armor All or Rain-X, but hard to be positive. And, as you say, you're risking an expensive line to find out.
    The U. S. line manufacturers all suggest nothing but a few drops of Dawn in water, with a light rinse after. The new line coatings just need to be kept clean, not dressed. Dressing, in fact, can clog their pores (and promote pimples).
    But I'm like most - I long for the feel of something slick and low-friction, even if it does mean dumping a cast now and then.

idlerick,

I think your advice is pretty much "right on" concerning washing the line with Dawn.

It seems some cleaning agents want to coat the line with some kind of "go fast agent" whereas the soap and water will actually clean the line and let the line work as designed. When you have a large fish on like a Tarpon and the line is slicing thru the water under stress, the pours of the line are open a lot more then when the line is relaxed, under stress the line really picks up the junk. I used to throw away my tarpon line after every 10-14 day Tarpon trip, even though I washed the line every night in the bathtub. It seems the stretched line actually cast better at first, however after a few more fish the stretched line didn't cast the same as a new one......my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,371 Captain
    Year's ago we used to use Armor All and similar products on fly lines but most found that it was a very bad idea since the plastic coating on a fly line will become brittle as a result... The only dressing I'll use on a fly line is the heavy silicone that you get from Scientific Anglers (and I very carefully remove as much of it by polishing after it's on the line...). Likewise I'm very hesitant to use any detergent on a fly line because of that same plastic surface (which is the outer surface of every fly line...). I'll use a freshwater rinse then scrub the line with an untreated cleaning pad (or a bit of clean toweling in a pinch) that also comes from SA. No, I'm not being paid by them at all... this is just what I've learned the hard way since taking up the fly rod almost forty years ago... Hope this helps.

Me, I'd rather do without anything on a fly line then add any coating that might do more harm than good (no matter how well your line handles at first...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666