Home Tropics

Clearing customs - Bill of sale?

BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
Does anyone know if you can clear Bahamian customs using a bill of sale for the boat?

Thanks
Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com

Replies

• used to be all you needed was a crisp hundred dollar bill and a six pack of Budweiser!
  • on deckon deck Posts: 653 Officer
    We cleared a couple months ago with new boat paperwork (But no registration since boat was brand new). No problems there.
  • biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Good deal. Headed over to Bimini for a day trip today. Hopefully we can find a wahoo or 3
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 442 Deckhand
    x3. Did it myself last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    used to be all you needed was a crisp hundred dollar bill and a six pack of Budweiser![/QUOTE

youse guys spoiled them......used to take 1 whole chicken..
    We only managed one wahoo #15 or so, up near little issac. Did catch about a 30# kingfish on the high speed troll which was a first for me. Overall crew had a good time so it was worth it.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Hi Mike,

Great report and at least you weren't skunked!

Question.. what size boat were you on and what were the customs fees?

I've been inquiring because it used to be 35' and below was $150. Now, I think it is 30' and below.

Unfortunately, my new Twinvee is 31'.

Some guys on the forum seem to say that they still are only charging $150 and a couple of others said they are charging $300.

Let me know what you guys encountered and how much it was.

Thanks

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
    In the last few years anything over 30 was charged 300. I want to say they made the change about 3/4 years ago now. I also do know some guys are able to slide by but they either know the right guy, are lucky or are not making it noticeable that they are on a boat over 30. Plus they moved the extra person fee from 20 to 25 for crews over 3. It is technically a departure tax. we were fortunate to be on a new 30ft cobia cc and the boat registration states the boat at 29'7" so we were able to slide by. I go over there about 6-10 times a year so I am fairly well versed on the "rules". Please don't hesitate to ask. I like to play the game the right way because it's just not worth it to me in the event you had an issue. But I have seen some very creative things happen to get the job done.
  • pipo6007pipo6007 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    My boat is a 31'7 on the registration and Docs...I pay $150 every time I go to Bimini.
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    $150 at BGC for my 35T in Dec. Back over next week for late Hoo bite.
  • MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    I just came into Bimini last week. we tow a 36ft tender and got charged a "special price" of $520........but the receipt says $320! I normally pay $620 for the two boats and 4 crew when we clear in Cat or Nassau. I am normally issued with a cruising permit for both boats but not this time......
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    MikeO wrote: »
    I just came into Bimini last week. we tow a 36ft tender and got charged a "special price" of $520........but the receipt says $320! I normally pay $620 for the two boats and 4 crew when we clear in Cat or Nassau. I am normally issued with a cruising permit for both boats but not this time......

Wow... Assuming you meant you normally pay $320 for both boats though??
    2003 Viking 45C
  • MikeOMikeO Posts: 112 Deckhand
    nope $620 or $600
    Our 36 is our fish boat and they often want us to have a separate cruising permit and fishing permit as it is sometimes away from the big boat for days at a time. All depends who you get and where you go. We have had it as cheap as $300 for both boats before

The point I am making is that Bimini guys just lined there pockets the other day giving us a receipt for $200 less.