Eastern Coral Snake (Pics)

eorlandoeorlando Posts: 560 Officer
Back at the beginning of the month we had a cool morning and my wife, my 2 kids (5 years old and 14 months), and my 8 year old nephew were playing hide and go seek around the yard. I was in the house and my daughter comes running up to the house yelling snake, snake! I thought for sure it was going to be a red rat snake. To my surprise when I got there it was a coral snake. I ran back into the house to get my snake hook and rubbermaid container to put it in so I could relocate it. When I relocated him at his new home I decided to take a few pics. All pics were taken with the D7100 and 300mm f4 af-s. CC always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

16236942346_31f0ae3954_b.jpgDSC_2817 by e_orlando, on Flickr

16077029747_180748bb8e_b.jpgDSC_2839 by e_orlando, on Flickr

16262911695_67f2fffb77_b.jpgDSC_2859 by e_orlando, on Flickr

15643016823_e42561dbc7_b.jpgDSC_2870 by e_orlando, on Flickr

15640504944_5c96a0ffe4_b.jpgDSC_2898 by e_orlando, on Flickr

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Very nice. I use the same set up, although I would have probably used my 80-200 2.8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Most excellent shots! Thanks for sharing them.

You have an actual snake hook? Are you some sort of **** herpetologist or something? :)
  • underwaterunderwater Posts: 113 Officer
    Wow! Great photos and a beautiful animal.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    coral snake!!! wow....

i'm 62 years old and have spent many years in the woods as a surveyor....
    i've seen just about every kind of snake common to this part of the world and never seen a coral snake...
    at least that i can remember...

#3 and the last one are really great images...
    the last one is the best though with the snake curled up in that strange geometrical position...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    Great pictures and a great release!
    FYIWFG
  • eorlandoeorlando Posts: 560 Officer
    Thanks for the comments!

Chuck, yes I actually have a snake hook and tongs. I have worked with snakes all my life…venomous and non-venemous.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Excellent pictures and a great looking snake. What did you do with the snake? The venom could be very useful.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    eorlando wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments!

Chuck, yes I actually have a snake hook and tongs. I have worked with snakes all my life…venomous and non-venemous.

The fact you said venomous instead of poisonous was a clue you had some skills in that arena. Good on you for not killing it. I think I like #4 best but they are all great.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    As a teenager, I didn't go anywhere without my snake hook and a pillowcase.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Beautiful
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
  • FlatchasingFlatchasing Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Red and yellow kill a fellow

Nice pictures I would have used my 105 mm but that's just me