Home General Fishing

Tiller Boats

2»

Replies

• Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Austins26 wrote: »
    60-90hp tillers Although I have never run one with that big of an tiller

I find it interesting how location changes perceptions and attitudes. Up here a 90hp tiller is not a big tiller.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    I like the hydraulic assist on those tillers.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    Vertigo wrote: »
    I run two tiller skiffs:

482394_573118799365709_1664339890_n.jpg?oh=fe2b23cf59340b5341ea0778ba73e629&oe=558144D8&__gda__=1430832137_32c19d8765b92d4bd6a826fc2adb5cf6

10842309_969976286346623_8930298298012044762_o.jpg

Vertigo, from back in my waterfowling days, I've had a few aluminum boats and still love them. One thing about many of them, including the ones I owned, is that they are laid out and specialized for a specific use of the owner and I am extremely intrigued by yours here. What is this designed for, how do you sit or stand when operating, etc.? This is a very interesting and cool looking outfit and my compliments.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Very nice rig! I'm about ready to do an aluminum oyster bar, bounce off a tree *****.
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    Basstar, thanks for your interest. The big boat is a SeaArk 1872 MVT and it's rigged for inshore redfishing. I've found that the central bridge is a great configuration for fishing, there's no stepping up and down to go fore and aft. It's good for fighting a big red, and also easy on the back and legs. Stepping up and down dozens of times to get from tiller to the forward casting deck can be a real pain at the end of the day, and the central bridge eliminates that problem. Easy access under the bridge also makes for convenient storage of tackle and other items. A good inshore boat needs to run shallow, and weight is the enemy. A good height-of-eye is also helpful for spotting fish and slightly submerged oyster bars. I've found that standing at a tiller saves weight, cost, complexity and gives a decent look at the water ahead. Adding a tower or center console would just add weight and not really give any other advantage. I do not like to run seated. Seated, the spray hits your face instead of your ankles and chop will beat you to death. Standing, your legs take the impact and the spray hits only seated passengers. I don't have any photos of the big boat in action, but here's one of the little skiff.19728_571944456149810_906027712_n.jpg?oh=cc6ecfa3c4586ca84e1e69bf2c20e069&oe=55933391&__gda__=1433757750_ff6ae2284bb9f5c9166bf1be2164c9b3
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    Basstar, thanks for your interest. The big boat is a SeaArk 1872 MVT and it's rigged for inshore redfishing. I've found that the central bridge is a great configuration for fishing, there's no stepping up and down to go fore and aft. It's good for fighting a big red, and also easy on the back and legs. Stepping up and down dozens of times to get from tiller to the forward casting deck can be a real pain at the end of the day, and the central bridge eliminates that problem. Easy access under the bridge also makes for convenient storage of tackle and other items. A good inshore boat needs to run shallow, and weight is the enemy. A good height-of-eye is also helpful for spotting fish and slightly submerged oyster bars. I've found that standing at a tiller saves weight, cost, complexity and gives a decent look at the water ahead. Adding a tower or center console would just add weight and not really give any other advantage. I do not like to run seated. Seated, the spray hits your face instead of your ankles and chop will beat you to death. Standing, your legs take the impact and the spray hits only seated passengers. I don't have any photos of the big boat in action, but here's one of the little skiff.19728_571944456149810_906027712_n.jpg?oh=cc6ecfa3c4586ca84e1e69bf2c20e069&oe=55933391&__gda__=1433757750_ff6ae2284bb9f5c9166bf1be2164c9b3

I totally understand as I owned a SA 1872 at one time and stepping up to the front deck was a pain.

Very nice set ups you have there.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    That little Skiff is about the Coolest thing I've seen on the water..:grin
    Could you put a small casting , Poling platform up front ? give you extra height for Sight fishin too
    You could store that Tackle box under it and open up floor space where the Tackle box was to put a cooler for cold goods and a seat for a rider. What will she float in. I can do 4 inches in my Jon Boat...not that it matters cause ain't nothing in 4 inches cept Wading Birds ....:cry
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but the skiff is for sale: http://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/4903696225.html
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Wade B wrote: »
    Define "rough". Hardcore walleye guys will run WOT 40 MPH+ in 4' chop if needed.

The definition of rough varies with the abilities of the captain & the condition of the boat. For me, in a little skiff, 4' seas is pay attention weather. It's not stay-home weather. I'll pick my way through a 4" chop in a skiff, but I'm not likely to be found doing 40knots in that sort of slop.

I'm sure that some people's abilities exceed mine. I'm sure that for some people, 4' = stay home, or at least it should. Sorry that I don't have a more concise answer for you.

I didn't say that tillers are impossible to use in rough seas. I just said that they are hard to control in rough seas. I stand by that statement. I expect that is one major reason why you see less tiller boats in the salt, which was the original premise of this thread.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

Another opinion of mine is that the period of the waves is almost as important as the amplitude when considering how rough it is. 4' at a 15 second interval is darn near comfy. 4' @ 3-4 seconds, is not so pleasant for a fast run in a small boat.
    Here are 3-4' waves. Obviously it's possible to run 40 mph, but would you really want to do it in a 16-18 foot skiff with a shallow v or flat bottom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDeZic-Cw8
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    If there were 4 footers inshore my **** would be staying home or at the very least inside the creeks.
    I didn't say that tillers are impossible to use in rough seas. I just said that they are hard to control in rough seas. I stand by that statement. I expect that is one major reason why you see less tiller boats in the salt, which was the original premise of this thread.

I wasn't calling you out. Just trying to continue the conversation. Sorry if you took offense.

I know our Deep-V walleye boats are a different animal than a flat bottom skiff.
    Here are 3-4' waves. Obviously it's possible to run 40 mph, but would you really want to do it in a 16-18 foot skiff with a shallow v or flat bottom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDeZic-Cw8

Yeah, like prenviously noted those long interval waves are nice to run in. We commonly get 4' chop with 2-3 second interval. Your best bet is give it heck and run on top of them.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,359 Moderator
    Yeah, like prenviously noted those long interval waves are nice to run in. We commonly get 4' chop with 2-3 second interval. Your best bet is give it heck and run on top of them.

A 4' sea at 2-3 seconds? Boat design and ability aside, those.stats may defy physics.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    A 4' sea at 2-3 seconds? Boat design and ability aside, those.stats may defy physics.

Come on up to Mille Lacs Lake, Winne or Leech. It can get ugly.
  • fsustevefsusteve Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    My best tiller boat story, was trolling for dolphin south of big pine about 26 miles out when I saw a small boat coming towards us from further south. Figured it was a bay boat, as he gets closer it's two dudes in a 14' Jon boat and a small tiller, they cruise by us, guy in the front holds up about a 50lb bull dolphin as they laugh and head in, I know, csb

I don't doubt you for one second! Seriously. Just having a hard.time picturing 4 foot of sea at 2 seconds.
    The physics of the matter would allow for 4' seas at 2 second intervals, but that is about as closely stacked as you're likely to see unless your're running where there's strong wind against strong current such as you might find at tidal inlets.
    4' wave, maybe. Certainly not a 4' amplitude. Even 4' crest to trough seems (im no physicist here) seems unlikely at 2 seconds. That much wind would be blowing them out or making bigger waves traveling faster at greater period. I just don't see it happening. Maybe I'll bust out the high school physics book tonight. ;-)
    I'm no expert either. I'm a medical man, not an engineer. That's my brother. I Base this off memory. I consider a 4' wave from trough to peak. If I recall a true wave measurement is midline to peak or trough.

The 2-3 second interval is an extreme as well. Not a norm. But we do have tourneys in some ugly conditions.
    This particular lake does some crazy stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2WSBtVoPw
    This particular lake does some crazy stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2WSBtVoPw

To hell with that. Pack ice through houses and those accents! No wonder you're moving.
    That's just the tip of the ice berg. Literally and figuratively.

Yesterday I woke to -28* temps with a -50* to -60* windchill advisory. This weekend it is supposed to get up to 30*. I guarantee if it gets above 25* I'll be in nothing more than a long sleeve cotton shirt on the deck grilling.

Our walleye season closes in late Feb. Reopens in mid-May. Two years ago we were still ice fishing those walleye in May. Last year most lakes were only 20% accessible via boat up here do to ice cover. This year I expect I'll ice fish the opener.
    I'm a man of my word.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG
    Cold weather makes people do crazy stuff...apparently... :grin

If that is your little girl...she is adorable.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,931 AG

I've seen some crazy videos...saw one where some tourney guy is on the haul **** in some big stuff and stuffs the nose.....submarined and spun out...partner swimming...scary but everyone was OK...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,019 Admiral
    We Pick our Days down here.
    Heck we got all year....:grin
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Cold weather makes people do crazy stuff...apparently... :grin

If that is your little girl...she is adorable.
    That's my niece (one of 5 girls). I've got two boys.

Thanks.