Pine Island Sound Trout

First Post! :) I from Michigan. Fish bass tournaments up there. Come to Florida and fish at least 4 to 6 times a year.

Anyway, I usually fish the harbor but recently had a friend retire to Cape Coral so I went out with him to teach him what I have learned, at least a portion of which I have learned from you guys so thanks for all the sharing these past few years.

Covering completely new water is clearly a challenge but I knew what I was looking for to show him Florida trout fishing so we set out. Water temp was 61 degrees in the morning up substantially from the 55 degrees it hit with the recent cold front. I thought as the day goes on and warms up if we could get to 65ish the better trout may turn on.

We made our way into the sound even though we were just figuring it out and the fog was like pea soup. We found a flat along Sanibel Island that on the map showed potential for what I was looking for. Ran up into 3-4 feet of water starting fishing. Caught trout nearly every cast but undersized. Continued up the shore working various areas with a variety of soft plastics. Tried on top but to no avail. Not warm enough it seemed to me. Besides soft plastics are one my favorites from bass fishing tournaments up north. Went back to the plastics and would pick up a small undersized fish from time to time. Finally landed one at 14 3/4 and put her back. Decided to work that area a little longer. Then got one 16 then another at 15. Day was getting later but wanted to go back to the area that only held undersized fish earlier on the theory that perhaps bigger ones were there but the water temp had them off. Sure enough the bigger ones had either moved in or turned on. In just our last half hour landed two more over 16 and lost one that would have been much bigger. Finished with 27 trout and 4 of which kept. I felt pretty good about that considering I had never fished the sound before. That's a beautiful piece of water.

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    Thanks for your first post.
    We fished offshore to 25 miles out and the fog never lifted all day. The cold water slows the bite way down. We caught fish but is was a lot of stopping and dropping.

Catch a couple then move again.
    larrywitt
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,489 Officer
    Very nice report!
  • captain72captain72 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I out today as well in the sound....flats off chino. slammed the trout, big red and pompano.
    I was a sucker the other day and (splurged) bought a yo zuri crystal shrimp @ 12 bucks. That thing can catch some fish, even caught a pinfish on it. Beware though the treble hooks suck. Broke one off. Not sure what you were using but pink/chartreuse was the color to use for soft plastics today
  • GITTERDONE12GITTERDONE12 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    I have a follow question for you guys. For a period of time I was using a z man shrimp z. They're pretty tough but 3 times I brought in only half a shrimp. Do you think a pinfish could do that or a short strike by a red? Any guesses? Anyone experience this before?
  • SweeperSweeper Posts: 59 Deckhand
    I have a follow question for you guys. For a period of time I was using a z man shrimp z. They're pretty tough but 3 times I brought in only half a shrimp. Do you think a pinfish could do that or a short strike by a red? Any guesses? Anyone experience this before?

Puffer fish
    Puffers or snapper
    Zmans are too frustrating for me. Ladyfish slime and rigging zman equals nothing but aggravation :)
  • Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    "flats off chino". I launch at Pineland so is "chino" in that area?

Thanks,

Grey Beard
    Grey Beard wrote: »
    "flats off chino". I launch at Pineland so is "chino" in that area?

Thanks,

Grey Beard

Down the south end of the PI sound, East side
  • JAinSCJAinSC Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I have done very well this winter with reds on the MinnowZ. Love the action in cold water. Some of the conventional soft plastics get stiff and lifeless in cold water. Not ZMan. Check out uTube for videos on rigging the Zman products. Don't know about their shrimp, but they have videos on rigging the minnows on the right style of jig head. You might just have to superglue the shrimp...
    I must not be fishing them right or not in the right scenarios. I bought new pack paddle tail in pinfish color with 3/0 gamagatzu rigged weedless. was out all day today throwing them On every flat in pi sound Not a bite !!!
  • KokiKoki Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Keep at it there are lots out there over 20" but some days they just turn off.