Shad and Stripers Lake Jessup - Mullet Lake - Lemon Bluff

I posted over in the "Striper" over on the General Fishing Topics thread but wanted to update all of the day over here in "Catches".

Went out today with the intent of targeting Sunshine Bass and By-Catch of Shad while trolling. We ended up with 2 Shad (1 American and 1 Hickory) and no Sunshines. We gave up the troll and went along some areas that we have done well with the Sunshine Bass and put out the best bait known...SHRIMP. By-Catch here is Catfish which I really like so that was kewl (2 Flat Heads) but no Channel Cats (my Favorite). Like I said over on the other thread, I think we were just a little off the feeding cycle as I saw big ones getting caught as we were pulling up...4 times this happened.

In my humble opinion, I am fairly certain they will be going full blast in the next couple of days. For what its worth, I am not a guy that has a bunch of fishing set by the Moons but from my trusted fishing buddies that do base most of what they do on the Moons, they say (like some on here too) it's the February Full Moon.

This Large Size Sunshine run that is getting ready to go only lasted 16 days last year. Yes, we catch them all year but not like this. May is another run full of 16-20" fish but I am normally wrapped up in Largemouth Schoolies.

With the high water and fast current, it makes them all feel like Monsters...LOL
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,555 Moderator
    Thanks , those things can pull pretty good. I'm thinking if weather permits I'll be trying it soon over there.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Thanks , those things can pull pretty good. I'm thinking if weather permits I'll be trying it soon over there.

I'm with Ya Louie!! I wouldn't mind fishin for and even more catchin some of those "By-catch" fishes while shading the river!!! I loves me some Channels & Flathaids!!! It would make me feel like I'm back fishin in TEXAS again!!! Those sunshines pull purdy good too> Sounds like a wiener to me!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 580 Officer
    Put a ton of miles on the boat in the past 7 days fishing the St Johns River. North IRL and Port St John area IRL. Knowledge gained and a few targeted fish caught each day but the numbers are just not there quite yet.

For those of us waiting on the Stripers and catching Channel Cats here is what I got:
    - From the Mullet Lake Ramp turn LEFT (South) and head towards Lake Jessup...before the SHARP Right-Hand turn at the NO WAKE SIGN on the west shoreline trolling (Rapala type lure with Olive Green Back) picked up TWO 8+ pound Stripers. The next corner (Left Turn) is a DEEP hole (32' +) and managed a 22 pound Chanel Cat from there. Note: here in the hole the Fish Finder was completely FULL of "marks" but only ONE willing to eat. The straight stretch of River going in to Lake Jessup has been Ok - Good for Shad and have seen a few stripers being caught. Continuing toward LAKE MONROE we picked up ONE Striper in the "Government Cut"...NOT as they have been at this location yet.

Mouth of Snake Creek - Most Productive for Large Channel Cats BUT you do have to be in the channel or NO BITES.

Mullet Lake Ramp RIGHT (North) - Trolling across the mouth of Mullet Lake has been productive for Shad (First Corner) and down to the mouth of Hickory Creek. We have seen two Stripers caught here but on the TROLL. I have worked all my "known" holes to Lemon Bluff with no stripers on BAIT nor the troll.

North Lake Harney - No Stripers BUT did catch a few Schooling Large Mouth. I had not seen any Menhaden schooling up near the top of the water yet but at Harney the Bass had'em moving. It wasn't much but it did get the birds going and they did point us to more Bait and Bass.

South Lake Harney and down to the mouth of the Little Econ it seems that the Shad Fishing has gotten HOT but the weather has kept a lot of the "FLY" fisherman away, plus the HIGH WATER. The RAMP Being closed by Seminole county right now in the middle of the best fishing of the year might have something to do with it also....Dumb azzez.

Observations - Ducks are REAL Happy that the season is over. The large White Pelicans have moved in for the winter and they eat Menhaden. I have not seen much eating so I am thinking that the Menhaden got a late start or the HIGH Water has them Spread out and NOT balled up yet. ANY DAY NOW. Last year they started on Feb 13th, year before that was Feb 17th and the year before that was Feb 3rd. (White Pelicans, 57 degree water and Menhaden Balled up was the keys to the past "runs")

Taking two days off the water and we will see after the upcoming COLD SNAP passes.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,555 Moderator
    Thanks for the update !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • hookinthumbhookinthumb Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Great information. Thank You!
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,072 Officer
    Any word on the run? I've been picking away at specks on the Harris Chain but am wanting to target the sunshines and stripers again this year. I didn't have much time to fish the past couple of years but got into them pretty good the year before that. Must've been '12 season. And thanks for the report, it was more than generous.
    Made it out today. CS LEE RAMP CLOSURE is ****-poor-planning-and-someones-political-pawn. Out of Mullet Lake. Finally caught two Stripers on Bait (Shrimp) today but not in a traditional location. They Still seem kinda scattered out to me. I did not see any bait moving today but it might very well have been the weather keeping everything Down. I really needed to get over to the Econ Split but the "Sea of Harney" did not look fun and I was not in a money tournament so i STAYED DRY. If there is a break tomorrow I will get out there but the forecast does not look very good.

Everyday is different....gotta keep the lines wet. My fishing buddy (DB) in the Picture.
  • hookinthumbhookinthumb Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    It was "iffy" as hell with the weather but glad you and your buddy took a shot and caught a couple, very cool! Thanks for the post sir.
    Still not much on the stripers (in comparison to last year) We have managed a few nice dinners and a few bags in the freezer but not like Feb and Mar 2014. Might not be right to judge other years based off of 2014 but dam_ was that a great run.

Found some bait moving around which is great for the Large mouth school fishing but we might have not been part of the striper run. There is a lot of water this year in the river that was not here last year which is about all I can think of that is different.

I am keeping the Shrimp Lines rigged and soaking at all the normal locations but now I have my long caster in-hand for the Big Mouth Bait chasers.
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,072 Officer
    I haven't been after them yet but have been picking away at the specks.
    I have some friends that chase the 14-18" (approx) Stripers when they run in May but I am usually on the Large Mouth through June/July.