guides

are there any guides in Englewood or port charlotte that have one angler deals?

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    What do you mean?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    You are hiring a boat not buying a seat at the movies.
    If there is bait involved your 4 hour trip is a easy 10 hours of work. The only deal you may get is a extra hour.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,922 Captain
    You'll find that you pay as much for one angler as for four.
    Jim
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    You are hiring a boat not buying a seat at the movies.
    If there is bait involved your 4 hour trip is a easy 10 hours of work. The only deal you may get is a extra hour.

Your handle fits you well .....
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    RexLan wrote: »
    Your handle fits you well .....

I say things the way they are or how I see it. It can come off as aggressive at times.
    Funny because I am polar opposite on the water.
  • CoTroutGuyCoTroutGuy Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I think that is a great question, there should be a discount for one angler. Especially for the poling captain sight fishing. I would rather have one guy in my boat. The boat is lighter, more quiet (the guy waiting his turn to fish likes to slam the cooler or something), and it is easier to focus on one anglers skill set. 6 hours is a long time to drive to the boat ramp, catch bait, drive home, and wash the boat. Thanks
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,922 Captain
    It costs just as much to run the boat with one fisherman as for four.
    Jim
    CoTroutGuy wrote: »
    I think that is a great question, there should be a discount for one angler. Especially for the poling captain sight fishing. I would rather have one guy in my boat. The boat is lighter, more quiet (the guy waiting his turn to fish likes to slam the cooler or something), and it is easier to focus on one anglers skill set. 6 hours is a long time to drive to the boat ramp, catch bait, drive home, and wash the boat. Thanks

Rigging rods takes time the night before. When I leave my house at 4:15 to get fuel & Ice. I hit the boat ramp no later than 5am. I have a 30 minute ride out to the bridge to get bait. if bait is thick it takes 30 minutes between finding, anchor, throwing, net and boat clean up. However bait is not always thick so it can take up to 2 hours to get enough. then we have a 30 minute ride back to the ramp to meet clients.
    Once the trip is over I scrub wash and wax the boat.

I am the type of guide who makes sure that everything the client uses and experiences is top of the line. My clients are 90% Doctors Lawyers CEO's and Board members of some kind. If they pay me over $100 a hour I feel that all my gear should be ready for them and the boat should be in perfect order. (I run a tight ship)

If its a fly fishing trip it cuts down the prep time a lot but if I need to tie flies that can be a few hours of prep.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,770 Admiral
    vernon wrote: »

yes there is............ can you paddle ? :wink
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Vern, sorry you are getting beat up for a reasonable question. Your best bet is to call the charter company and see if they would take a solo angler on a split charter. Some companies will do this but others will not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vernonvernon Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    have paddled a canoe in the past. never a kayac thanks
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    Maybe you would like to hire a Kayak Guide. We have a few good kayak guides in your area.
    vernon wrote: »
    Yes, kayak guide Cameron Schurlknight. Look him up. One of the best in the Venice/Englewood area, or any area you want to fish.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    CoTroutGuy wrote: »
    :Spittingcoffee
  • snookerf150snookerf150 Posts: 298 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    Vern, sorry you are getting beat up for a reasonable question. Your best bet is to call the charter company and see if they would take a solo angler on a split charter. Some companies will do this but others will not.

Agree. Some of these so called guides are getting bent out of shape over a question, that to me was asked perfectly but written or worded wrong. The guys that responded trying to justify themselves on why they ask top dollar for a trip whether it be 1-4 persons on their boats because of travel time, bait time, or just boat time are the ones who should step back and re-evaluate their reason for guiding.
    Disclaimer: I do not guide anymore
    All I am saying is if I had next Tuesday open and I had a party of 3 who inquired who had never fished before wanted to drink some beers and maybe catch a fish or two or I had a single person looking to learn the area and fish with me. I would take the later every time. Instead of a 600-700 dollar circus trip I would gladly take a 400 dollar guiding and teaching experience.
    IMHO

Edit:
    It Is a business, a lifestyle, and income for that person.
    Agree. Some of these so called guides are getting bent out of shape over a question, that to me was asked perfectly but written or worded wrong. The guys that responded trying to justify themselves on why they ask top dollar for a trip whether it be 1-4 persons on their boats because of travel time, bait time, or just boat time are the ones who should step back and re-evaluate their reason for guiding.
    Disclaimer: I do not guide anymore
    All I am saying is if I had next Tuesday open and I had a party of 3 who inquired who had never fished before wanted to drink some beers and maybe catch a fish or two or I had a single person looking to learn the area and fish with me. I would take the later every time. Instead of a 600-700 dollar circus trip I would gladly take a 400 dollar guiding and teaching experience.
    IMHO

Edit:
    It Is a business, a lifestyle, and income for that person.
    Too many rookie guides in FL. A lot of good ones also. Find the good ones and have a great day.