Home Tropics

West End Burning Wahoo Tmt...

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
Tomorrow will be spent pulling out a bunch of toys to be dragged up to West End on Monday. This boat has a bunch and we plan on test dragging about fifty of em. We have a zillion junkanoo style ones that we dragged with no luck yesterday. Owner wants to go faster so the plan is to see what drags at what speed. We got Barts, Bosts, C+H, Cowbells, metal bullets, plastic bullets, R+S, chrome, abalone, you name it... I have my meat set along just in case but its his boat and his call what he wants to drag.
We had a good time here. Didn't get a lot done but still a good time. Hope the weather up there stays as forecast...

Replies

• Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    We trolled Bimini to Issac then West End to Memory area. Couple wahoo bites. Billy Black is over here and had three dolphin. Couple boats from here were back toward Issacs a little north east of it and scored 3 and 6 good wahoos up there. I guess we pulled the plug just a bit early.
    Gonna go where we had our bites tomorrow and hammer it a little...
    We had those bites right near where we had them a couple weeks ago when I was here and leaned on em hard... Gonna try old school dead bait as its a real small area and hard to work with the lures...
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Awesome report. Good luck with the dead bait ! Post some pics
    Dead baited quite a while today. Found the mother load of cuda though and after destroying 2 dozen rigs we switched to high speed and a few miles later we started picking those with stripes. Three found the box before the boss pulled the plug.
    Lot of boats went out. Couple back with not much to report. Will update later. Tourney staff here in force setting up. Quite a few of the big rigs and some of the smaller ones are here. Tomorrow and Saturday look bumpy with Friday showing pretty good.

Team Sharkbait owner Paul Cole with a couple practice fish...
    paul_hoos.jpg
    Boats that stayed out picked between 2 and 8 each... Nothing big. Maybe 40 is the biggest...
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    unlike a lot of boats w/ towers, your flag is in the proper place..
    We like things right...

Wind brutal through the night and now. Several trips to adjust bumpers and lines. Protected but big surge in here. Big Viking next door pulling so hard whole finger dock and pilings really bending. Through it all we've had a few center consoles and smaller bridge boats cross today. Gitta say they got cahones to do so. That or they are just plain nuts...
    We need to take on fuel for our game plan and even hard to get off the dock in tight quarters.
    They have the grills going and Bimini Mango Man setting up to entertain...
  • On Island TimeOn Island Time Posts: 205 Officer
    Is "Fishin A Loan" there?
    b8462785-ca45-4da1-9725-c3c6b5422585_zpszm9d61xm.png
    Capt. Steve Beare
    USCG Licensed & Insured

www.OnIslandTimeCharters.com
  • On Island TimeOn Island Time Posts: 205 Officer
    duplicate post....Sorry
    b8462785-ca45-4da1-9725-c3c6b5422585_zpszm9d61xm.png
    Capt. Steve Beare
    USCG Licensed & Insured

www.OnIslandTimeCharters.com
    I believe so... I think without Billy however...

They are still arriving. Big and small. Wide assortment of machines... Still blowin but down to 20-25 instead of 30+. Mango belting out tunes. Various Ministry reps from the Bahamas government mingling with teams. very nice so far...
    DSCF17611.JPG
    DSCF17591.JPG
    DSCF17602.JPG
    My Rig
    DSCF1764.JPG
    Spencer with triple pod Volvos
    DSCF1765.JPG
    Spanked 13 of em this morn. Enough for the lead in size (44.5) and 5 fish aggregate (182.4)...
    DSCF17641.JPG
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    NICE JOB!! Spanked them is an understatement.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    Mr. Cole must be flying high right now. Good job.
    Bumped into 2nd by Fishin A Loan
    Yes, Mr. Cole is a happy camper... :)
    Where do I begin? Fought 10-12 foot seas off Mantanilla shoals to get an interesting pick. One king, then a dolphin, then a wahoo, and topped it off with a tuna...
    When the smoke cleared that king and tuna were the only ones caught in the whole event. That makes them "largest" of each. The dolphin was the biggest caught today. Our total weight held up to the test and 2nd overall was ours. So its good to be back tourney fishing and placing any way....
    So...... The engines are quiet. I woke at 4AM in Miami to beat the bridges going up river to the yard. The boss detailed what he wanted done to the various crews. We offloaded what didn't get taken off yesterday into his van that had been driven up by one of his great employees. We drove to Marathon, offloaded the gear there. I jumped in my van and began the ride back to Palm Beach.
    I got to Florida City for a fuel stop. I fueled and decided to hit the head. Inside I noticed a giant of a old black man looking through the automotive parts section. When I returned he had a tire repair kit in hand and was asking the clerk if they either had a pump or Fix a Flat. They didn't. I grabbed a coffee and saw him asking others if they had something to inflate a tire. I noticed his shirt to be soaked with sweat. I have a standing rule to "not get involved" in most things but I had a pump, fix a flat and a puncture repair kit...
    I'm tired, I have things to do and a long drive still in front of me, but I also have a soul. "Sir, c'mon, I'll give you a hand. He was most appreciative. He noticed some jigging rods I had and asked if I had been fishing in the Keys that I was just leaving. I told him I was on my way back from wahoo fishing in the Bahamas. He was floored! As we talked he reminded me of the big guy "Coffey" from "The Green Mile". He had never caught anything bigger than a "speck" and was blown away that the wahoos we caught were up to 40+ pounds but get much bigger.
    He rasped the puncture and I ran in the soft rubber plug. Skip the pump, I filled with Fix a flat which would be a good back up. He reached into his pocket and pulled out some wrinkled dollar bills and loose change... I couldn't accept. As a little extra karma boost I gave him a couple steaks... Made me feel good all over.
    As I drove home I thought about the trip and what a cool world I am part of. Often I am the do all and be all aboard. Often working both helm and pit and washing etc. This trip I was just crew. Man the pit, clear the lines, leader, un hook, box, redeploy... Part of a unified well oiled machine team, just doing my best to keep up with "their way". A nice change from the stresses that go with being "the man in charge"... :)
  • MidnightMadnessMidnightMadness Posts: 16 Deckhand
    Compleat wrote: »
    So...... The engines are quiet. I woke at 4AM in Miami to beat the bridges going up river to the yard. The boss detailed what he wanted done to the various crews. We offloaded what didn't get taken off yesterday into his van that had been driven up by one of his great employees. We drove to Marathon, offloaded the gear there. I jumped in my van and began the ride back to Palm Beach.
    I got to Florida City for a fuel stop. I fueled and decided to hit the head. Inside I noticed a giant of a old black man looking through the automotive parts section. When I returned he had a tire repair kit in hand and was asking the clerk if they either had a pump or Fix a Flat. They didn't. I grabbed a coffee and saw him asking others if they had something to inflate a tire. I noticed his shirt to be soaked with sweat. I have a standing rule to "not get involved" in most things but I had a pump, fix a flat and a puncture repair kit...
    I'm tired, I have things to do and a long drive still in front of me, but I also have a soul. "Sir, c'mon, I'll give you a hand. He was most appreciative. He noticed some jigging rods I had and asked if I had been fishing in the Keys that I was just leaving. I told him I was on my way back from wahoo fishing in the Bahamas. He was floored! As we talked he reminded me of the big guy "Coffey" from "The Green Mile". He had never caught anything bigger than a "speck" and was blown away that the wahoos we caught were up to 40+ pounds but get much bigger.
    He rasped the puncture and I ran in the soft rubber plug. Skip the pump, I filled with Fix a flat which would be a good back up. He reached into his pocket and pulled out some wrinkled dollar bills and loose change... I couldn't accept. As a little extra karma boost I gave him a couple steaks... Made me feel good all over.
    As I drove home I thought about the trip and what a cool world I am part of. Often I am the do all and be all aboard. Often working both helm and pit and washing etc. This trip I was just crew. Man the pit, clear the lines, leader, un hook, box, redeploy... Part of a unified well oiled machine team, just doing my best to keep up with "their way". A nice change from the stresses that go with being "the man in charge"... :)

Very nice gesture.