Today First Time in Sarasota Bay: Results

First let me thanks others for the earlier responses giving advice before my first effort in Sarasota Bay. Orginally I was planning on Ken Thompson ramp but at last minute went for Cenntenial Park (concerned with dealing with Armand Circle).

I started off with motor problems. I could't keep it running without help from the key and it's fuel pumping method. I went for it anyway. I crossed the ICW and anchored up in about 8-10 ft. of water. Not what I was looking for after the advice given here, but I was having motor problems.

Went , basically casting and jigging, with a 1/4 oz. DOA shrimp tied directly to 12 lb. mono. Picked up a small spotted trout first cast. A few minutes later a blue fish. A few minutes later a bite and lost luhr. After that what seemed like a school of lady fish for 20 minutes.

I was as happy as I could be knowing I was with motor problem. I quit after about an hour, but landed a mix of about 10 fish.

I have a question. Apparently the lady fish do a lot of damage to the line. What methods to you use to keep from keeping to re-tie?

Again, thanks for the help and this forum.

Next, figure out what is wrong with the motor.

Replies

• DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Use a longer leader so u can keep retrying. Quit fishing for trout and u will stop catching lady fish. Jk next time put one of those ladies out and see if anyone is horny. I meant home.lol
    All in all sounds like a good day.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,173 Captain
    Yeah it sounds like you are using 12 lb mono and no leader unless I read that wrong. You should probably use a 2-3' leader on the end of your line. Most guys use fluorocarbon and some use mono... either way just match it to what you're fishing for. Big snook around bridges will require larger leader than trout/reds out on a flat.

Great first day. :)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • ReelsmoothReelsmooth Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    By using the key to keep it pumping fuel do you mean the electric choke, if so you may need a carb cleaning job.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 220 Deckhand
    Yes, the electric choke? Last time I ran the motor was about 8 months ago in fresh water. All ran well. I ran it out of fuel
    (disconnected fuel line) the last time I ran it. If it's as simple as cleaning the carbs, after running it about 30 minutes wouldn't I see an improvement??? I'm thinking fuel pump type of problem.
    I'm thinking fuel pump type of problem.
    That's what I would look at.

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,173 Captain
    If it's as simple as cleaning the carbs, after running it about 30 minutes wouldn't I see an improvement???

not necessarily. The electric choke isn't really a choke... it's an "enrichener" and just dumps fuel into the motor bypassing one of the jets in each carb. Cleaning carbs can be done in under an hour and costs about $20 in gaskets if that. Personally I'd start there.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    not necessarily. The electric choke isn't really a choke... it's an "enrichener" and just dumps fuel into the motor bypassing one of the jets in each carb. Cleaning carbs can be done in under an hour and costs about $20 in gaskets if that. Personally I'd start there.
    Well aren't you just a smarty pants. Lol
    Good info.

• ReelsmoothReelsmooth Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    You can eliminate the fuel pump by pumping the primer bulb when the engine begins to stall and see if it runs better.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    From what I've been reading from some of the charter reports, the ladyfish are pretty thick right now. Its hard to avoid them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 220 Deckhand
    First, thanks for the engine repair suggestions. Cleaned the carbs and she fired right up and idled right away. Ran great!

Second, fished today Tuesday 3/3 a couple of hours in the shallows just North of the New Pass channel. Lots of small spotted trout drifting the East side of that sand bar. Used 1/4 oz. DOA shrimp. Do you suggest 1/2 oz. versus 1/4 oz.? Would cast better and tend to find bottom better.

OK now that I have two trips on Sarasota Bay; how, where and when do I catch bigger fish from a 17' deep vee aluminum boat?

Thanks!