Looking for some Guidance

Hey guys, I am new to the kayak game. I am from upstate New York and have fished the great lakes out of a 10ft sit in yak for the past couple years. I spend about half the year down in Florida and am tired of limiting myself to shore fishing. I am looking to get a kayak I can use both inshore and offshore. Some models I have come across that I have considered are the Ocean Kayak Trident 13, 13' Ocean Kayak Prowler, and a couple of the Native series in the same sizes. I am looking to spend about $750 at most. I have been looking for used kayaks on a number of platforms for a few weeks now and I am just looking for some input before I make a decision. Thanks for taking a look guys, tight lines.

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    All of the kayaks that you are looking at will do the job. If you can water test them before you buy.
  • 1simplemann1simplemann Posts: 200 Deckhand
    Don't forget to look in the classifieds, Craiglist etc. Sometimes I see some pretty good deals on used kayaks when people upgrade. that way you can get more yak for your buck.
  • troutman97troutman97 Posts: 81 Deckhand
    Yes craigslist is where i have been looking.
  • r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 258 Deckhand
    http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/4890402929.html

Ok prowler gets my vote for an all around kayak. Light weight and great for surf launching.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    If your going offshore, a rudder is a must.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • lucluc Posts: 245 Officer
    Whelan wrote: »

Really? Can you elaborate?
    luc wrote: »
    Really? Can you elaborate?
    NO - Not interested in getting in a debate with you over a rudder or whether your Tarpon 120 is or is not a piece of ****.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Unless u like to paddle only one side of ur kayak. Rudder keeps you straight. Without one u are constantly compensating.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 486 Deckhand
    On days when the wind picked up I've had to put a foot in the water to keep my Tarpon 140 from turning into the wind without a rudder. Sold it and got a 160 with rudder and don't have any problems. The 160 is probably going up for sale have to many kayaks now and not enough storage. Price will be very reasonable.
  • lucluc Posts: 245 Officer
    NO - Not interested in getting in a debate with you over a rudder or whether your Tarpon 120 is or is not a piece of ****.

LMAO teste' are we.
    I WAS really interested in why offshore you would need one more so, I am here to learn.

I don't debate on the internet, text obviously gets misinterpreted. Should I have put a smiley face for you?
    Talking about my 120 hits straight to the bone though...NOT. I know all of its weaknesses.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,174 Officer
    A rudder is only a must on a kayak that was never designed correctly to begin with. With a good paddle and correct technique no rudder is needed on the short wide plastic kayaks we all fish out of.
    The Amish build barns without power tools - that doesn't mean I would.
    troutman97 - I made the following conclusion when reading your post - your getting out of Rochester for the winters. If you want to go offshore during the winter you will be dealing with wind and rough beach launches-landings. Can it be done without a rudder - sure, but why make things harder on yourself. The next time your down , check out Nautical Ventures in Dania beach - they have demo days where you can try all the kayaks in stock for free.
  • troutman97troutman97 Posts: 81 Deckhand
    I appreciate the info. Thanks for the tip Whelan, I will have to check that place out, it would be awesome to get one out on the water ahead of time.
  • 1simplemann1simplemann Posts: 200 Deckhand
    troutman97 wrote: »
    Yes craigslist is where i have been looking.
    Troutman, also look at the classifieds here on FS or some of the local Kayak group's web sites. You can find some really good deals. there was good deal just the other day on the FS classifieds.