2015 Hobie Outback Vantage CT seat modification.

I love my 2015 Outback, after two PA12's, I love dealing with the reduced weight and the ability to paddle when needed and the layout of the redesigned cockpit and most of all- the new Vantage CT seat.

If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the Hi/Lo legs stow automatically when I lean forward to grab my rod or need to adjust my Wi-Fi speaker mounted in the mast mount.
For me, I've found that I use the high position 95% of the time, so the automatic stowing legs are of little use to me....so I came up with a no-drill, reversible (if need be) solution............

Pull to Deploy changed to Pull to Store.

This is how the spectra line normally attaches to the feet, with the spring forcing the feet to stow when seat is clear of the deck. This pic shows the line still attached but spring loose.
IMG_2459.jpg

This shows the spectra line attached to the "pull-cord" with tension bungee attached.
IMG_2460.jpg

This section of cord replaces the spectra line. I added a stainless steel washer and ran the new line through the existing hole in the left rear leg. Pic 4 shows the new line in place and attached to the pull-cord.
IMG_2466.jpg

Once the new line was installed I reattached the spring, I just rotated it opposite the way it was originally.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Now when I pull the cord, I'm stowing the feet which allows me to lower the seat and have more stability when the seas get sloppy or the wind is slowing me down.
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

But wait...due to the tension being taken off the cord when the feet are stowed, it hangs loose, so I added a section of bungee that attaches to the upper most section of the pull cord as to put tension on the upper section only causing the pull handle to sit tightly against the seat frame.
FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Due to this section of bungee being low-stress, I was able to mount the terminal end to one of the seat frame screws, with little chance of causing a problem.
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

This pic shows where the "tension bungee" attaches to the pull-handle cord, just above the lower section of bungee/deploy line.
FullSizeRender-5.jpg

This shot shows how the "tension bungee" was run through the pull-cord so as to keep the line from drooping when legs are in the stowed position.
IMG_2476.jpg

Lastly, this shows the cord being pulled to stow the legs, as opposed to how it would originally deploy the legs.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

It works perfect and guarantees that the legs are firmly in place while in the high seat position. thumbs_up_smiley.gif

Replies

• Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Ok. How much for you to do that to mine for me? I'm lazy
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    Nice LT! Doing this tomorrow!
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    i just keep the kickstands in the fully-down position. meaning they are actually folded up and not in use at all. this allows me to raise the thigh support a little more, and it actually provides more adjustably in leaning the backrest backwards. so, if you consider this--there are actually 3 positions for the kickstands--fully-down (flat and not in use), up, and fully-up (the horizontal position).

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    uno--mas wrote: »
    i just keep the kickstands in the fully-down position. meaning they are actually folded up and not in use at all. this allows me to raise the thigh support a little more, and it actually provides more adjustably in leaning the backrest backwards. so, if you consider this--there are actually 3 positions for the kickstands--fully-down (flat and not in use), up, and fully-up (the horizontal position).

cheers
    drew
    Same with this modification Drew....three seating heights, just that now the highest setting is the "default" setting as opposed to the lowest position.

Just did the mod for one of the FS forum members.
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    Same with this modification Drew....three seating heights, just that now the highest setting is the "default" setting as opposed to the lowest position.

Just did the mod for one of the FS forum members.

For sure a great mod. Lt firedog hooked me up on my outback. Can't wait to get out in the water with it. Thanks again LT
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Tight work. Looks factory
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • roderunnerroderunner Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Nice work. I understand, however that, as a matter of safety, Hobie deliberately made the rear legs to default to the lowest, most stable position so if the seat tilts forward for any reason (capsize, over-weighting the front edge, etc.) the seatback doesn't automatically jack itself up (as it appears you've re-set it to do), making it more difficult to re-enter the boat. This may be more of an issue on some of the narrower boats that are more sensitive to a less stable seat position than the Outback. Nevertheless, something to keep in mind, especially for anyone who goes in rougher waters) before eliminating this safety feature.

The handle retraction bungee though looks like a great mod!
    roderunner wrote: »
    Nice work. I understand, however that, as a matter of safety, Hobie deliberately made the rear legs to default to the lowest, most stable position so if the seat tilts forward for any reason (capsize, over-weighting the front edge, etc.) the seatback doesn't automatically jack itself up (as it appears you've re-set it to do), making it more difficult to re-enter the boat. This may be more of an issue on some of the narrower boats that are more sensitive to a less stable seat position than the Outback. Nevertheless, something to keep in mind, especially for anyone who goes in rougher waters) before eliminating this safety feature.

The handle retraction bungee though looks like a great mod!

The seat is less the four pounds. It will make no diffrencr were it is when you flip the yak back over from capsizing. As far as reentering the kayak most typically don't climb straight in to the seat from the water so I don't see how seat position will make a difference. I would say most would go over the gunnel in the center of the yak the work over to the seat. Matt miller explained it over one the hobie site that it was that way for people new to kayaking to not have to think to much to get the seat down in a stressful situation
  • roderunnerroderunner Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Nick561 wrote: »
    The seat is less the four pounds. It will make no diffrencr were it is when you flip the yak back over from capsizing. As far as reentering the kayak most typically don't climb straight in to the seat from the water so I don't see how seat position will make a difference. I would say most would go over the gunnel in the center of the yak the work over to the seat.
    Thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity, have you ever capsized in a Hobie? If not, I suggest you try it and see just how that works out regarding the seat.

AmZYMgf.jpg

OfWkgJl.jpg

The weight of the seat is irrelevant. The weight of you sitting or climbing 3 to 4" higher is very relevant. I'm not criticizing the mod, but for those who prioritize safety in kayaking (beginner or not) they should be aware that it constitutes a stability compromise that might cause unforeseen problems in certain situations.
    roderunner wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity, have you ever capsized in a Hobie? If not, I suggest you try it and see just how that works out regarding the seat.

AmZYMgf.jpg

OfWkgJl.jpg

The weight of the seat is irrelevant. The weight of you sitting or climbing 3 to 4" higher is very relevant. I'm not criticizing the mod, but for those who prioritize safety in kayaking (beginner or not) they should be aware that it constitutes a stability compromise that might cause unforeseen problems in certain situations.

The mod does not change the seats ability to go high and low. It only changes the function of the pull cord. It reverses the function. In you original post you said it would flip down if your capsizing. My point was if you capsized it is not gonna make a difference were the seat is when your reentering I agree that a higher center of gravity will reduce stability. And yes I've spen a day for two in a hobie kayak