siesta key sharks

Gonn be down at end of may with boat, looking for help in catching sharks in bay around siesta key
My son wants to try, what bait, tide, etc.... thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• RoyalflushRoyalflush Posts: 535 Officer
    They're everywhere that time of year, find the tarpon, and u will find the hammers and bulls. Any big fresh cut bloody bait will work. chum heavily to turn the bite on.
  • captjoemorinIIIcaptjoemorinIII Posts: 146 Officer
    X2 what Royalflush said
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Best baits include cut ladyfish, mullet, bluefish, spanish macs and more.
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    Any particular area in bay, middle ground?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SargasSargas Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    i highly recommend Big Pass @ Sunset for some shark action.
    BAIT: Live fullgrown mullet on a cork for some enticing strike action! Cut bait on a cork also works well.
    TACKLE: Wire leader, large circle hook. On larger baits a stinger rig works well for a better hook up ratio placing one hook in the nose and another in the rear just make sure it is more beefy than your standard tourist tackle kingfish rig, may want to make your own. Large spin tackle. area is free of obstructions for hundreds of yards so you dont have to worry about getting fouled, just watch your anchor line ( quick disconnect or simply pull anchor.)
    TIME: 1-2 hrs before sunset, sunset is primetime!

Tips&Techniques: Big Pass is just south of Siesta Key where the gulf comes into the bay. The Northern 3/4ths of this pass is a large shallow sand flat ranging from 1.5ft-3ft deep (white area in pic) This is your spot. The channel runs on the southern border of big pass(dark water in pic). i like to get up on the sand flat and drift baits suspended 1-2 feet under a cork. sharks can be caught smack dab in the middle of the sand flat however, i personally think the larger ones cruise the ledge formed by the rather rapid transition from the channel up to the flat, you will be able to see the color change. anchor up and drift baits back to this area. (white marker/cursor in pic) also make sure your more towards the gulf side mouth of the pass not too far inland. dont forget to enjoy the sunset! P.S i will actually be in Sarasota the last week in May myself and know the waters if ya need any live mullet or anything, you might in fact see me out there in a Key West Tight lines and good luck with your boy fishing!
  • SargasSargas Posts: 59 Greenhorn
  • JoshWJoshW Posts: 523 Officer
    Sargas wrote: »
    i highly recommend Big Pass @ Sunset for some shark action.
    BAIT: Live fullgrown mullet on a cork for some enticing strike action! Cut bait on a cork also works well.
    TACKLE: Wire leader, large circle hook. On larger baits a stinger rig works well for a better hook up ratio placing one hook in the nose and another in the rear just make sure it is more beefy than your standard tourist tackle kingfish rig, may want to make your own. Large spin tackle. area is free of obstructions for hundreds of yards so you dont have to worry about getting fouled, just watch your anchor line ( quick disconnect or simply pull anchor.)
    TIME: 1-2 hrs before sunset, sunset is primetime!

Tips&Techniques: Big Pass is just south of Siesta Key where the gulf comes into the bay. The Northern 3/4ths of this pass is a large shallow sand flat ranging from 1.5ft-3ft deep (white area in pic) This is your spot. The channel runs on the southern border of big pass(dark water in pic). i like to get up on the sand flat and drift baits suspended 1-2 feet under a cork. sharks can be caught smack dab in the middle of the sand flat however, i personally think the larger ones cruise the ledge formed by the rather rapid transition from the channel up to the flat, you will be able to see the color change. anchor up and drift baits back to this area. (white marker/cursor in pic) also make sure your more towards the gulf side mouth of the pass not too far inland. dont forget to enjoy the sunset! P.S i will actually be in Sarasota the last week in May myself and know the waters if ya need any live mullet or anything, you might in fact see me out there in a Key West Tight lines and good luck with your boy fishing!

:Agree You may also consider running the beach south from Big Pass and fishing the Point of Rocks area. It is a near guarantee if you fish properly. I like a small stingray with the barb clipped or a cuda if you can find one. Ladyfish and mullet do just fine though
  • JoshWJoshW Posts: 523 Officer
    Also, be prepared to catch a tarpon if you are fishing a live mullet under a cork at the Big Pass Bar or at POR. Tackle is similar minus the wire leader. Dip some crabs on the flush tide and and hang one under a cork and you may jump one or two.
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    Sargas thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crank N YankCrank N Yank Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    does anyone know if its legal to shark fish from siesta key on the beach at night up there im in the lee county area and its really hard to find places here that cops dont harass you