Home General Freshwater Fishing

Lake Lanier

Anybody ever been up there and fished any? I'm trying to work things out to fish the FLW tournament coming up March 7th and I know nothing about it.

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Nice huge lake, relatively clear the last time I was there in the 70s. I have many happy memories there but not a lot of luck landing trophy fish. I don't know a lot about Striper fishing but I believe that at one time you could do that in the lake.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Buddy of mine is fishing that tournament and is in the same predicament.

I know it is deep lake with multiple creeks dumping into it.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    I was there 20 years ago and remember a lot of small bays and some creeks. Good water and a lot of fish, although nothing real big.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,424 Officer
    Hi saltlife, The tournament is being held about 2 miles from my house so I know a little about the lake. First thing to know is there are 2 separate lakes, not really but they fish entirely different. In March, prespawn, most people will fish on the south end, which starts 15 or so miles south of the tournament boat ramp. They will be fishing for spotted bass on humps, points and brush with mostly moving baits, fishhead spins crank baits, etc. In brush piles jigs, worms and jigging spoons are the baits t for. On the north end the main quarry, in tournaments, are large mouths which are caught much shallower than the spots. There are more creeks with more bank cover. Your best bet is to hire a guide for a day and tell him what your plans are. If you need any more details PM me.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Drop shotting is the way to go on that lake. If you are the co angler you are doing what the boater wants and that might nor be fishing that style. For Kevin Hawk when he won the FLW cup in 2010 this was part of a article on tactics to use.
    Q: With two of the largest limits of the tournament (day one and day four), did you have a key bait that enabled you to consistently catch quality fish? If so, why?
    -- David (San Diego, Calif.)
    A: Absolutely. The Swarming Hornet Fish Head Spin was the key bait to getting the bigger bites I needed to win the tournament. The Fish Head Spin produces a flash and vibration that was irresistible to the suspended spotted bass.

Q: Congrats on your win. Give us all the details on how to catch suspended fish on the drop-shot. Thanks.

A: At Lanier, a lot of times I'd see the spotted bass suspended around the brush piles I was fishing. When I saw the fish on the graph, I'd throw my drop-shot down immediately and then watch the fish swim down on the graph and eat it. So you really have to pay attention to your graph because it really is a visual thing. It's also important to use a big weight -- a 3/8-ounce -- so you can get your bait down quickly. I was actually getting a lot of bites on the bottom after the bait had already passed by the fish.

Q: All the reports talk about how you threw only two baits all tournament (Roboworm and Fish Head Spin). Can you provide specific details on your equipment setup for each?

A: I was throwing a 1/2-ounce "Albino" Sworming Hornet Fish Head Spin with a Zoom Fluke Junior on 10-pound Berkley 100% fluorocarbon line. The rod and reel I was using for that setup was a G-Loomis IMX 843 casting rod with an Abu Garcia Revo STX 6:4:1 gear ratio. For the Roboworm drop-shot setup, I was using a 6-inch Roboworm in the "Morning Dawn" color, 7-pound Sunline and Super FC Sniper fluorocarbon. I also used a 3/8-ounce drop-shot weight. The rod and reel for that setup was a Lucky Craft 701 MHXF drop-shot rod with a Shimano Symetre 3000 FJ spinning reel.

Q: How were you working your Fish Head Spin to catch your fish?

A: I would make a long cast over the top of the submerged brush pile and let the bait sink five to seven seconds, depending on how deep I wanted the bait to get. And then I would pick up the slack with the bait with my rod in one motion and start reeling slowly -- keeping the slow retrieve constant all the way back to the boat. And when the bass would hit it, the rod would load up.
    2004 KeyWest 1900 Sportsman Yamaha F115