Home General Fishing

Next February

kpredatorkpredator Posts: 9 Greenhorn
Well woke up this morning to -17 below zero,decided we are going to spend next February in Florida.

Am a serious fisherman.

thinking either 10 thousand islands or big pine key.

Have a 18 ft John boat with a Yamaha 60 and Jack plate

Also a 19.5 foot deep v with a 90 hp etek

I know both are great places and have spent a little time at both

But which would you choose and why?

Will rent a place for a month

Thanks much
Kp

Replies

• fsustevefsusteve Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I live in naples and have a place in big pine key, tough call, mostly a snapper/grouper deal offshore either place, in between different runs, probably give the nod to ENP just because of all the back bays the reds and snook and tarpon hang out at, a lot of options.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    Just an opinion from a fellow FL winter visitor. I LOVE The Keys but have never been to the Ten Thousand Islands. If you have visited FL a lot then just overlook my info here but if not, I will share what I've learned after many years of visiting FL during the winter.

As much as I love The Keys, the one issue is the lack of beach area to walk near where your rent. There are a couple of beaches to visit such as Bahia Honda but that isn't the same as heading out one's door and taking a leisurely walk.

If a beach isn't important then never mind, but if having a nice beach to walk is important then I might suggest Naples, Ft. Myers Beach, or Bonita Springs.

These areas are far enough south for warmth, miles of beautiful beaches, yet plenty of backwater areas for fishing. Also, I've found the inshore wade fishing fairly decent and easy to accomplish with very minimal effort.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,058 AG
    I would do 10,000 islands..Great inshore fishing and always somewhere out of the February winds. Also close enough to good bass fishing at Lake O and Trafford. Keys are touristy and expensive since everything is trucked in and they put premium prices on it.Groceries last time I went were astronomical compared with home.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    kpredator wrote: »
    Am a serious fisherman.

thinking either 10 thousand islands or big pine key.

Will rent a place for a month

Florida in February can be windy and cold. I would want to fish somewhere inshore and sheltered from wind.I would choose Everglades City, bring the jon boat (need a GPS.): http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/florida/south-west/everglades-city
  • kpredatorkpredator Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    thank you for the replies
    where would you go out of everglades city or chockaloscee?
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Wait until March. Weather & fishing are much better.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    February is a tough time to fish but the back country can be fun with a skinny jon boat. But with a whole month you can pick your days.

If you can find a waterfront place on Chokoloskee it would put you closer to fishing south but I usually choose to stay in EC where you have better access to groceries etc.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Big Pine if you are interested in the patch reefs and fast action for good eating snappers, groupers etc and possibly dolphin on a calm day.
    10k islands if you are interested In back country for snook, reds, trout