Home General Fishing

Poling Skiffs...

haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
What are the characteristics of a poling skiff? Is it just a flats boat?

I don't know if it's because it's "cool" , or actually functional but it seems I've been seeing a lot of boats that do not look they could be poled with poling platforms. I imagine that todays bay boats are yesteryears flats skiffs in the way of materials and weight so maybe my perception of what can be poled and what can't is off :shrug

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Light weight, shallow draft, low freeboard, quiet when it comes to hull slap, manueverable on the push pole, usually lower horsepower rigs that aren't much over 16 feet or so.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,082 AG
    There are two types...
    Regular "skiffs".... they are your standard Hewes, Maverick, Egret, Action craft...et al. Generally 16 - 18 ft with 70 -150 HP
    My 20 Ft Hewes " Lite Tackle " is kinda big in skiff land and was a "Bay boat" before the term was coined and the size grew.

Then there are the "technicals" Smaller with shallow draft best suited to 2 persons....a true "Poling" skiff.

And you are correct...a SALESMAN will put a poling platform on your pontoon boat or jet ski if you even hint you'd like one... There are a lot of boats running around with a high priced " Motor shade " on them. :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    My skiff is 380lbs. Floats in 5". No wells or storage except 1 big box where you sit to drive. Life jackets stuffed in a cubby under the casting deck up front. Easily pole it all day without much effort. A flats boat should at least have a baitwell if not a livewell. Its really semantics but a poling skiff is generally a bare bones flats boat

54efd9374b7050e14e3945025b1d1210.jpg

95d13f0f10e8b3be915ef16e93930caf.jpg
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,092 Admiral
    Here's a $Top Dollar real Poling Skiff. :USA
    Entire Rig motor Fuel and me with gear is around 400 pounds. Floats in 2 inches and poles right nice in 6.:cool:
    I got Bare Bones down Pat....:grin
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Poling skiff is what was already stated. A boat doesnt have to be a poling skiff to have a poling platform though. I could see myself push poling my sterling 22, just not all day, and there really isnt a point to it for my fishing. But the poling platform is awesome to get on and sight fish especially with a remote trolling motor, as well as hold rods, be a nice seat, be a great thing to lean against when fishing nearshore so you dont fall off, and if its pooring rain or you are melting in the sun. You can sit under it
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    It's a fancy shade cover for the motor...
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    A poling skiff is going to be a smaller boat, usually not rated for more than 60-70 HP that is comfortable to pole all day long. It will usually have a fairly narrow beam (<72"), be light in hull weight (<700#), and have defined poling strakes on the hull which help the skiff track straight. As far as the length goes, 18' or less is the norm. Draft is usually sub 7" ad has very little hull slap and dead rise. When it comes to comparing builders of technical poling skiffs..... feel free to open that can of worms.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    One thing’s for sure: Once you’re fishing the flats with a technical poling skiff, it’s human power only. No trolling motors, just a pole. So if you’re not proficient at poling, you’d better learn that dance soon.

CONTACTS

Beavertail Skiffs, Palmetto, Florida, 941-705-2090, beavertailskiffs.com

Dragonfly Boatworks, Vero Beach, Florida, 772-567-8835, dragonflyboatworksllc.com

East Cape Skiffs, Orlando, Florida, 407-658-7933, eastcapeskiffs.com

Hell’s Bay Boatworks, Titusville, Florida, 321-383-8223, hellsbayboatworks.com

Maverick Boat Company, Fort Pierce, Florida, 772-465-0631, maverickboats.com

Ranger Boats, Flippin, Arkansas, 870-453-2222, rangerboats.com

Skull Island Skiff Works, Fort Pierce, Florida, 754-229-9477, skullislandskiffs.com

Sundance Boats, Blacksheer, Georgia, 912-449-0033, sundanceboats.com

Yellowfin Yachts, Bradenton, Florida, 941-753-7828, yellowfinyachts.com
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,025 Captain
    Most might not know that the first poling skiffs didn't have poling platforms at all and were usually poled off the bow, backwards....the poling tower or platform wasn't even invented until 1968... When I first came to Florida it was an unusual sight to see more than the occasional Bonefisher being towed somewhere (and there were only three guides for all of Biscayne Bay, so things have changed a bit...).

Most boats used to pole up shallow were actually built for something else originally -then modified for use up shallow. The advice you were given back then was to balance the boat as carefully as possible so that it would float perfectly level with two guys on board, so that it would float as shallow as possible for that hull design. My first poling skiff, a modified Starcraft 16' aluminum semi-vee hull never had a platform on it at all and poled just fine in right around six inches of water... Here's a single photo from way back when -you can see I was a bit younger then...
    [img][/img][img][/img]oldbone_zps8f44af54.jpg

In short any boat can be poled (but some will never be poled anywhere except downwind...). My old Seacraft actually had a pushpole mounted on it, but the pole was only used to ease up on the edges of one flat or other out of Flamingo. It was not a poling skiff at all, though. Many of today's "poling skiffs" are actually used much more like bass boats and their trolling motor sees 10 times more use than any pushpole. Some of the best boats for poling are miserable to go anywhere with if there's the slightest chop so every hull is a compromise between fishability and sea worthines....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Most might not know that the first poling skiffs didn't have poling platforms at all and were usually poled off the bow, backwards....the poling tower or platform wasn't even invented until 1968... When I first came to Florida it was an unusual sight to see more than the occasional Bonefisher being towed somewhere (and there were only three guides for all of Biscayne Bay, so things have changed a bit...).

Most boats used to pole up shallow were actually built for something else originally -then modified for use up shallow. The advice you were given back then was to balance the boat as carefully as possible so that it would float perfectly level with two guys on board, so that it would float as shallow as possible for that hull design. My first poling skiff, a modified Starcraft 16' aluminum semi-vee hull never had a platform on it at all and poled just fine in right around six inches of water... Here's a single photo from way back when -you can see I was a bit younger then...
    [img][/img][img][/img]oldbone_zps8f44af54.jpg

In short any boat can be poled (but some will never be poled anywhere except downwind...). My old Seacraft actually had a pushpole mounted on it, but the pole was only used to ease up on the edges of one flat or other out of Flamingo. It was not a poling skiff at all, though. Many of today's "poling skiffs" are actually used much more like bass boats and their trolling motor sees 10 times more use than any pushpole. Some of the best boats for poling are miserable to go anywhere with if there's the slightest chop so every hull is a compromise between fishability and sea worthines....

Hell Bob that's a nice picture of when you use to could. In other words you could fish all day and lay pipe all night! Thanks for sharing!... Pete
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 481 Deckhand
    i have a poling platform and a bow casting platform that i use on and off on my 22 pathfinder. i seldom pole, but the sight and casting advantage is enormous. i made mine removable because when fishing the jetties or offshore, they get in the way.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    That Dragonfly 17 is **** looking!
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    bonephish wrote: »
    One thing’s for sure: Once you’re fishing the flats with a technical poling skiff, it’s human power only. No trolling motors, just a pole. So if you’re not proficient at poling, you’d better learn that dance soon.

CONTACTS

Beavertail Skiffs, Palmetto, Florida, 941-705-2090, beavertailskiffs.com

Dragonfly Boatworks, Vero Beach, Florida, 772-567-8835, dragonflyboatworksllc.com

East Cape Skiffs, Orlando, Florida, 407-658-7933, eastcapeskiffs.com

Hell’s Bay Boatworks, Titusville, Florida, 321-383-8223, hellsbayboatworks.com

Maverick Boat Company, Fort Pierce, Florida, 772-465-0631, maverickboats.com

Ranger Boats, Flippin, Arkansas, 870-453-2222, rangerboats.com

Skull Island Skiff Works, Fort Pierce, Florida, 754-229-9477, skullislandskiffs.com

Sundance Boats, Blacksheer, Georgia, 912-449-0033, sundanceboats.com

Yellowfin Yachts, Bradenton, Florida, 941-753-7828, yellowfinyachts.com

You forgot a couple....

Ankona Boats, Ft. Pierce, Florida, 772-579-7214, ankonaboats.com

Salt Marsh Skiffs, Ft. Pierce, Florida, 772-801-3052, saltmarshskiffs.com
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Split Shot wrote: »
    That Dragonfly 17 is **** looking!

Beautiful boat, but with that 8" draft and reverse chine its not a poling skiff.

Look at the hull shape on the Emerge 16 by contrast.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    In the 16' poling skiff category, i choose the Skull Island 16: http://www.skullislandskiffs.com/
  • :grin Old men rule.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    http://www.dolphinboats.com/boats/16-renegade-pro/

Also have a tiller version available... That would be my second boat if I had the coin.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Here's a $Top Dollar real Poling Skiff. :USA
    Entire Rig motor Fuel and me with gear is around 400 pounds. Floats in 2 inches and poles right nice in 6.:cool:
    I got Bare Bones down Pat....:grin

That's not bare bones. Thats an ultra tricked out jon boat:cool:
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Beautiful boat, but with that 8" draft and reverse chine its not a poling skiff.

Look at the hull shape on the Emerge 16 by contrast.

Silliness. It may not be the shallowest drafting boat in that category,
    but it's a poling skiff for sure.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Sorry, it's a 17 flats, he is right. Those chines will slap water all day. The grand slam 17 is their poling skiff. The dragonfly can obviously be piled without a problem, as can many flats boats
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer

Look at the hull shape. The reverse chine about midway back is going to slap like a MF'r.

Its going to jump on plane, ride great, and stay plenty dry as a result of that hull design...just like my boat does with a similar hull shape.

But trust me...poling into current, wind, or any wave action is going to be loud and you're not going to be sneaking up on any skinny water reds or bonefish.

As linesider states, the Grand Slam 17 is more of a poling skiff even with the same 8" draft. And that's because it will pole much more quietly with that hull design. It won't run as nice or as dry, but it will pole much quieter.

Anyone looking at a "poling skiff" to be used in skinny water needs to take this into account. You could buy a 16' skiff that floats in 6" of water and find yourself driven insane by hull slap because of too much reverse chine in your hull...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod