Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Way to cool!

My brother bought a BGE and a cyberQ thingy. Last night at 7 pm I put two picnics on it and wired up the cyber Q to the laptop. I have the ability to control the smoker from my computer at home. Woke up at 5 am and checked laptop and I was at 170 meat temp. I was able to reduce the pit temp to 200 with a click of the mouse.....Really freaking cool! To think 15 hours ago I started the smoker and the lid will not even be opened until I have to remove the meat!!!!!!

Right now it is at: (lemme look at live data) 182 meat temp - Pit temp is at 216 - Fan is running at 100% (I set pit temp back to 225 so fan will run until it reaches 225)

Never would of thought you could set it and forget when smoking!!

Iceman

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Who adds more wood chips all this time?
    .......Rick
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    I have a BGE and run a DigiQII on it. It's not remote to the PC but it serves the same purpose. Easily programable and monitored.

Personally, I love the thing. It runs the grate temp vs. a dome temp. It is dual probe so you can control meat and grate temp. As the the target temp of the meat gets reached, it will shut down the heat so you don't over smoke something.

I got it because of the winter and more importantly, my configuration makes it very tough to get good air flow to the BGE, or anything else for that matter. It's geography and weather patterns really. Plus, at 5,300 ft elevation, we're lacking a little oxygen for a good burn as well. So, the fan is a huge help to say the least.

I'm kind of a detail guy and still look too much at temps and stuff, not so much the food. However, last spring I had do some butts for a sports party. Given the games/tournament, my only option was to do them the night before. I started them at 11pm. Let the egg and the DigiQ control things. I went to bed and it was fine. I let the butts ride until mid day, foiled them, and served them. The folks absolutely loved the pulled pork. Well, maybe they were an easy crowd but I couldn't have done that without the gear. One guy actually bought a BGE after eating it.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    dusky203 wrote: »
    My brother bought a BGE and a cyberQ thingy. Last night at 7 pm I put two picnics on it and wired up the cyber Q to the laptop. I have the ability to control the smoker from my computer at home. Woke up at 5 am and checked laptop and I was at 170 meat temp. I was able to reduce the pit temp to 200 with a click of the mouse.....Really freaking cool! To think 15 hours ago I started the smoker and the lid will not even be opened until I have to remove the meat!!!!!!

Right now it is at: (lemme look at live data) 182 meat temp - Pit temp is at 216 - Fan is running at 100% (I set pit temp back to 225 so fan will run until it reaches 225)

Iceman

You've been smoking two picnics for 15 hours???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    We are going to need some video of this please.
  • dusky203dusky203 Posts: 617 Officer
    17 hour cook and it was perfect!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Dave, it's not that it has to go that long, it's that it can and still come out great. When I hadto do that smoke on the butts overnight, it was low and slow and worked great. I didn't miss any sleep and the egg/digiQ handeled the whole deal. It was great in all honesty. Plus, with the egg, no need to worry about adding more charcoal.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Great thread. I am about to buy a BGE and wasn't aware you could control them like this. Now I'm even more excited about it.
  • rbricklerbrickle Posts: 239 Officer
    Like I've been sayin' all along now. You can't beat the BIG GREEN EGG! Like I told Abelman, buy one and use it for three months. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you.
    Someone asked about adding wood chips. After the first wood is added for your cook you don't need to add anymore. Once seasoned the BGE will infuse that wood smoke into the meat. Dusky's computer thingy sounds cool. I may check it out.

:thumbsup:Rockon
    Well, for anyone that wants to look at these systems, the two main ones are the Guru and the Stoker. They are configured to what ever type smoker you have such as a WSM, BGE, etc.

I have the Guru DigiQ II. Mine does not link in with my PC as the Stoker does. However, it's not something I need either. They do have a CyberQ that does link though.

Anyway, here's a great place to see what's out there: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm
    Abelman wrote: »
    Dave, it's not that it has to go that long, it's that it can and still come out great. When I hadto do that smoke on the butts overnight, it was low and slow and worked great. I didn't miss any sleep and the egg/digiQ handeled the whole deal. It was great in all honesty. Plus, with the egg, no need to worry about adding more charcoal.

Yeah my camaro was capable of 150 mph, but I didn't take it up that high ;)

I just know I would be starving and my wife would be pizzed wondering where dinner was. But hey, if you have the time.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Flash wrote: »

I just know I would be starving and my wife would be pizzed wondering where dinner was. But hey, if you have the time.......

The key word in that statement, " was ".
    I'd be fixin' that bad boy up.

Did you even read what I wrote? I went to bed at 11pm, didn't have a care in the world. The butts were done the next day for the team party in the afternoon. I would think Mrs Flash would be happy, nobodly looses any sleep and the food is hot, good an on time.

Dave, you a little cranky today or is this just more anti egg issues? :shrug
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Actually it was Abelman and rbrickle's fault i bought my egg !! The photos just got to me !! I have had mine for about 14 months and love it! I was a "die hard" webber kettle guy, with about ten years experience cooking everything from butts to turkeys. And i thought i had my "webber" cooked butts down to a science. And i had always read articles about cooking "low and slow" thinking i was correct when cooking a butt in six to eight hours --hey, it tasted great, smoke ring, and was moist inside the butt. First butts(two) i cooked using the Garu Digi II going for "pulled pork"(finish temperature 210) took 16 hours to reach my target internal temperature. My past experience told me all i would need is a fork to remove the butts, wrong, they were falling apart and i had to get a spatchula !! Now the egg butts had the smoke ring, but no dryness on the outside -- i could shred the pork by just sqeezing it with my "hot gloved" fingers. The meat retains all the flavored moisture which is mostly fat that has been slowly cooked into the meat.
    I made the mistake of using my Garu on everything i cooked - which automatically control the air to the fuel which controls temperature to a nat's butt! But the Garu's probes are not rated for cooks over 400 degrees and i burnt them up. Since then, i only use the Garu on "low and slows" and control my egg's cooking temperature by the vents - which really is easy once you get the hang of it. I have a large and have cooked seven butts to perfection at one time -- that cook took 26 hours. Some people will say "26 hours -- don't want to go there!" -- but it's all in which you plan your cook ! I might be cooking three butts for a party on Sunday at 3:00PM -- i'll start the cook Satuaday around 10:00 AM -- figuring the butts will be done around 9:00 to 11:00 AM Sunday. Pull them at their internal target temperature of 205 to 210 degrees and wrap them in foil, place them in a cooler- where they will stay at serving temperatures for five of six hours...... I have a total of five other cookers on my "summer kitchen" - gas - wood - electric - charcoal - and have only used the gas grill a few times to keep side dishes warm since i bought the egg. If you are interested in this product -- study the "Greenegg.com" owners forum for a while and i think you will understand what difference in cooking this product will provide you.
    PS: Thanks Abelman and dbrickle
    charlie tuna, you're very welcome. After a few months with my EGG I gave away my side box smoker and gas grill. I do still have a 18 inch electric grill and a smokey joe but never use them. I've got a gas oven with stove top right next to my EGG and that's all I need.
    Charlie, I'm glad it worked out for you. It works for myself and RB as well.

Here's another reason I love the BGE and the Guru for that matter. In the last week, our temps have ranged from a high of 85 and a low last night of 33. The peppers have survived and good for awhile but I digress. If I run a smoke or even the grill at 400, the outside temps don't matter to me. 1) the Guru takes care of outside temp extremes. 2) the BGE is so good at holding temps and recovering quickly, it just all works in my climate.

The intersting thing is that Flash taught me years ago to use sand in the water pan on my old R2D2 when it was cold. It worked great. I still appreciate that bit of advice as it saved a Thankgiving Day turkey. But, it's the same concept as the BGE with the ceramics to hold heat to boot. That was the light that went off for me. Plus, with the BGE, you can grill at 800 or smoke at 185 if that's what you need.

I'm with Robert, it's pretty much all I need. I don't use my R2D2 anymore but I still use the gasser every so often.

I will admit, I just ordered a new piece of gear. Over priced, yes. Effective, yes. I used reward bucks so it's basically free. Should work well in the thin air around here. It will certainly speed things up.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004XU1FES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318113907&sr=8-3
    Charlie, I'm glad it worked out for you. It works for myself and RB as well.

Here's another reason I love the BGE and the Guru for that matter. In the last week, our temps have ranged from a high of 85 and a low last night of 33. The peppers have survived and good for awhile but I digress. If I run a smoke or even the grill at 400, the outside temps don't matter to me. 1) the Guru takes care of outside temp extremes. 2) the BGE is so good at holding temps and recovering quickly, it just all works in my climate.

The intersting thing is that Flash taught me years ago to use sand in the water pan on my old R2D2 when it was cold. It worked great. I still appreciate that bit of advice as it saved a Thankgiving Day turkey. But, it's the same concept as the BGE with the ceramics to hold heat to boot. That was the light that went off for me. Plus, with the BGE, you can grill at 800 or smoke at 185 if that's what you need.

I'm with Robert, it's pretty much all I need. I don't use my R2D2 anymore but I still use the gasser every so often.

I will admit, I just ordered a new piece of gear. Over priced, yes. Effective, yes. I used reward bucks so it's basically free. Should work well in the thin air around here. It will certainly speed things up.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-Large/dp/B004XU1FES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318113907&sr=8-3

Pete,
    :thumbsup
  • 13qbbq13qbbq Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I use the DigiQII on my Stumps Stretch and it is truly set it and forget it. On Saturdays,I can put two butts on at 0700 and when we get home from my sons football game, dinner is ready. In reference to "who adds wood during this time" question, meat "accepts" smoke flavor up to 140° then no more. I like a light smoke flavor so it works perfect for me. I generally add three fist sized chinks of peach and no more for a long smoke and end up with a great smoke ring and flavor. The Stoker now has built in WiFi as well and you can run several meat and pit probes with adapters from Radio Shack. Seen as many as 4 WSM and several meat probes on one Stoker unit at an FBA event. What size BGE's do you guys have? I assume the Large or XL.
    Large EGG. Stumps Strech is my next smoker. Mighty fine unit!
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral

That's exactly what I can do with my digital Bradley smoker, and for less money than a BGE ;)
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Laziest cook in America! ;)
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    rbrickle wrote: »
    The key word in that statement, " was ".
    I'd be fixin' that bad boy up.

Well still can. I just am not foolish enough to run it there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did you even read what I wrote? I went to bed at 11pm, didn't have a care in the world. The butts were done the next day for the team party in the afternoon. I would think Mrs Flash would be happy, nobodly looses any sleep and the food is hot, good an on time.

Dave, you a little cranky today or is this just more anti egg issues? :shrug

Yes, I did. Did you read the part that I wondered why 15 hours? My only issue is so much time, nothing to do with the egg.
    But again, if you have the time, go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Finally back online as my laptop crashed. Cook turned out awesome however i did have to add some lump at the end to finish it up. It was my fault for not adding enought to begin with.

AS for adding wood I placed 6 chunks of Pecan before i set meat on grate. This allowed it to smoke for quite some time. This cook had the PERFECT smoke ring! It took a total of 17 hours at a constant 225 grate temp. Pulled em off at 195 internal and wrapping in foil for a few hours.

Pros: Set it and forget it

Cons: I kind of missed having to add coal every 6 hours and looking at the progress.

I think I will buy one and try it on my bubba keg as the wife will not let me get an egg......

Iceman
    Yes, I did. Did you read the part that I wondered why 15 hours? My only issue is so much time, nothing to do with the egg.
    But again, if you have the time, go for it.

Dave, my point, I didn't HAVE the time so more time was the answer. That's the whole point. You didn't understand it that thread and it's the same now. This is the smoke I am referring to.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?487-Pulling-Some-Butts

I was either sleeping at night or at a sports tournamnet the next day. It wasn't a matter of sitting at home and deciding to foil so I could do a 7 hour butt. The great thing, I started them the night before, slept all night, was at the tourney as needed, and the butts were fine unattended. They were also ready for the party.

Since you quoted me in this thread, I figure you're asking me why I did mine that way. So, since I didn't have the time, I really did by proper planning and some unique equipment. So, more time solved the issue of less time.
    How do you smoke your picnics? I have never had one take less then 14 hours at 225 to cook? Are you guys smoking at a higher temp?

Iceman
    Dave, my point, I didn't HAVE the time so more time was the answer. That's the whole point. You didn't understand it that thread and it's the same now. This is the smoke I am referring to.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?487-Pulling-Some-Butts

I was either sleeping at night or at a sports tournamnet the next day. It wasn't a matter of sitting at home and deciding to foil so I could do a 7 hour butt. The great thing, I started them the night before, slept all night, was at the tourney as needed, and the butts were fine unattended. They were also ready for the party.

Since you quoted me in this thread, I figure you're asking me why I did mine that way. So, since I didn't have the time, I really did by proper planning and some unique equipment. So, more time solved the issue of less time.

Well. congrats to you then. Good job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How do you smoke your picnics? I have never had one take less then 14 hours at 225 to cook? Are you guys smoking at a higher temp?

Iceman

You could go higher. Butts, picnic, pretty much the same. I usually do 250º. But I do wrap in foil. The foil really speeds the process up, but you will not get the extreme bark, that some like so much, if you foil. I have even found, if you foil, you can then raise the smoker temps up to the 290 to 300º and finish the smoke with no ill effect to the butt. Still pulls great. I have done several 8 1/2 lb butts in 9 to 9 1/2 hours this way. The longer you can go before foiling will give you more bark. Personally I shoot for the 170º internal region, but if you have some time, go longer.

Porkbutt028.jpg

Butt_4184.jpg

Butt0021.jpg

Butt_9455.jpg

Using more sugar in your rubs (don't worry, it cooks off as it smokes) will allow for more bark formation also. Still if bark is your target, then you will have to set in for a longer smoke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]