Home General Fishing

Powerpole vs. Talon

Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
Considering the telescoping characteristics of the Talon system, is the Powerpole system easier for freshwater cleaning? Or do you guys not have any issues with the Talon system?

We are beach/boating people. I'm thinking this is an essential need on our boat.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,072 AG
    Essential? .... How so?
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    power pole > talon
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Essential? .... How so?

Beach a boat, hit a button, problem solved. VS Beach a boat, run out anchor line, maybe lower outboard, waves still wash up and move boat around.

Or...... Fishing and messing with an anchor. Of course I love the spot lock feature on the MinnKota Terrova and I use the heck out of that as well.

Ok, you are right. How about "essential want". Not essential need.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    I've owned both. Power pole is far superior. Way less issues.

After having this technology, I can't imagine owning a boat without one.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    Power pole, power pole, then powerpole again. I will not own a talon, too many things can go wrong that could cost me a tournament. And i get 35% off talons and I still choose powerpoles

I will never again own a boat without dual powerpoles if I can afford it. It is budgeted into any boat i buy. I encourage you to hop on a friend's boat if they have dual. Great stuff
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Wade B wrote: »
    I'm thinking this is an essential need on our boat.

Its a nice tool and very convenient. Lots of us get along without them though.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,072 AG
    Its a nice tool and very convenient. Lots of us get along without them though.

My wife seems to think I catch enough. I will have to work on the explanation that a $1800 electric stick is a must have.... :wink

I suppose that since most new boats are financed...you won't notice it in the price....I have a hard time spending that much cash..
    The old pre-rigged stern anchor on a short snubber sitting next to you on the deck slipped quietly off the deck....while not as convienient...is effective too.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Power pole. You are right, it is an essential. Just like a trolling motor, once you've owned one it's very hard to fish without it.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    Love to have one but can't seem to part with the $1800 when my $75 Stick-it anchor pin works great.
  • Skeeter08Skeeter08 Posts: 175 Officer
    My skeeter has a Talon and it has failed 3 times in one year. It has been a big PITA during the worse time, next time it gets yank off the boat and a PP is getting installed. My only worry about PP is the hydraulics failing, I was on vacation last year and had to help a guy when his system failed and helped him tie his PP up so he could continue to fish.
    Skeeter08 wrote: »
    My skeeter has a Talon and it has failed 3 times in one year. It has been a big PITA during the worse time, next time it gets yank off the boat and a PP is getting installed. My only worry about PP is the hydraulics failing, I was on vacation last year and had to help a guy when his system failed and helped him tie his PP up so he could continue to fish.

Hydraulics can fail, but when they do there are only a few things that can go wrong. Did the guy have the current cmonster pump powerpoles? If the powerpole fails you can always pull it up and either tie it up or if you keep a heavy duty bungee or zip ties those will also work. That is the main reason I bought a powerpole, if I'm in a tournament and something breaks then I can still continue my day, if the talon gets stuck down often the wrench backup doesn't work and you are stuck. Plus pp customer service is #1
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • Skeeter08Skeeter08 Posts: 175 Officer
    Hydraulics can fail, but when they do there are only a few things that can go wrong. Did the guy have the current cmonster pump powerpoles? If the powerpole fails you can always pull it up and either tie it up or if you keep a heavy duty bungee or zip ties those will also work. That is the main reason I bought a powerpole, if I'm in a tournament and something breaks then I can still continue my day, if the talon gets stuck down often the wrench backup doesn't work and you are stuck. Plus pp customer service is #1

Agree thats how I help the guy out by helping him tie off the PP in the up position. My Talon failed three times and each time I had to remove it and drag it in the boat. Minn Kota service isn't bad they have worked with me each time.
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Ive got a power pole and have thought about switching to the talon. The talon has a wave or current feature that my pp doesnt have. When tide comes in or waves or currents, talon has a triple sink or triple strike thing it does that anchors it deeper into water. Not sure if this is a legit feature, but sounds like one to me. Ive had the tide lift my boat and power pole just dragging along... "Am i fricken drifting right now?" I dont dislike my pp, just think technology has advanced since i put it on almost 3 years ago. But overall, couldnt live without it. I could, but it sure as heck makes life easier...
    Get the wave pack from powerpole. I've never had trouble with the powerpole bouncing with waves and I've been in some bad stuff. Just put the powerpole down and if it's really snotty push down button when rear of boat is at top of wave.
    Mateau wrote: »
    Ive got a power pole and have thought about switching to the talon. The talon has a wave or current feature that my pp doesnt have. When tide comes in or waves or currents, talon has a triple sink or triple strike thing it does that anchors it deeper into water. Not sure if this is a legit feature, but sounds like one to me. Ive had the tide lift my boat and power pole just dragging along... "Am i fricken drifting right now?" I dont dislike my pp, just think technology has advanced since i put it on almost 3 years ago. But overall, couldnt live without it. I could, but it sure as heck makes life easier...
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    I've been on 2 bass boats that had their Talons take a crap and it was a nightmare trying to get the spike back up.

Have not had a PP issue on any boats I've owned with one or been on so far…….
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Doesn't power pole have a feature now that it will sort of reapply pressure every so often to make sure the tide isn't rising?
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    I know there's an add-on that does exactly that.
    Yes called the wave pack. I suggested it a little earlier for a guy. Never used one though
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Get the wave pack from powerpole. I've never had trouble with the powerpole bouncing with waves and I've been in some bad stuff. Just put the powerpole down and if it's really snotty push down button when rear of boat is at top of wave.
    interesting. Ill be googling that. Thanks!!!