Home General Fishing

How does the weather affect your fishing?

Let me start by saying I'm new to saltwater fishing. In my research I've read about high pressure systems and low pressure systems and how they affect the fish but to honest it's a bit over my head. Can someone please explain to me like I'm 5 how these pressure systems affect the fish? Are the pressure systems the same as rain and thunder storms? When is your favorite time to fish? What's your LEAST favorite time to fish? And lastly, is this weekend a good weekend to fish?

Sorry for all the questions. Just hope it sparks some conversation. Thanks!

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    During the summer I just fish whenever with little emphasis on the weather other than to dodge storms and come back in one piece. But in the winter the cold snaps will absolutely shut down fishing. Typically the pattern is that rain will roll in and then right after that a cold front will blow in. I like to fish the day before or day of the rain. The fish seem to bite pretty well. If I've got to fish after a cold snap, I don't care to do it on the day of or after the cold snap as the fish are just shut down. Basically I try to just look for steady consistent weather. This weekend should be good to fish but I have a feeling Sunday will be better than Saturday. It's all just an educated guess and it can all go out the window due to other factors like a full moon, wind, etc, but if you start writing down these patterns and information you'll see a trend.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I don't fish when it's windy and the seas are over 2'. All other times are good. And I very rarely get skunked.:banana
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    bonephish wrote: »
    I don't fish when it's windy and the seas are over 2'. All other times are good. And I very rarely get skunked.:banana

Lol.

I have found the same as above, the fishing dies in the cold for saltwater, some of the best bass fishing of my life has been in the cold, during the cold front, and then shuts down for a few days after. I guess it's because the pressure changes to high before and during the front, and then low after.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    The best time to fish is every time I'm off of work. Like other's said cold is tougher inshore, offshore winds make it unsafe. Other than that you need to figure out the fish as they can usually be caught anytime, they're just doing different things. Deep structure inshore when its cold will yield some fish for the cooler.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    Winter time fishing is my time to fish. It can be one of the most educational times to fish when you are learning. I am a fly guide so 95% of my activity is sight fishing. Winter is when sight fishing is best. The water is highly oxygenated which makes it gin clear and the tides get low which concentrates the fish.

When it comes to fronts, typically two to three days after a front is when things start turning back on unless another front comes through.

As far as the cold goes, redfish, trout, and sheepshead can handle this cold. What I like to do is look for days that have an incoming tide in the morning. All the creepy crawlies that reds and sheepies like to eat stay buried in the mud to stay warm. Mud retains heat. If the a shoreline gets sun soaked on a "bluebird" day, like today (2/20) and this weekend, that exposed mud will get warm real quick. When the tide comes up and covers the mud, that heat will turn the shoreline into a "sauna.". The creepy crawlies will be activated and come up out of the mud which will in turn be munched on by the predatory fish. Wading birds will also let you know what shorelines are active. Remember the size of the bird will tell you the depth of the water and whether or not there is enough water to hold fish. If a snowy egret with walking around with most of his legs submerged.... you have about 3-5" of water where that bird is. You have a great blue heron on point whose butt is touching the water, you got a couple feet under him. Fish the heron.

I will be out on Saturday but not until around 10 am. The tide is 0.0 at 9:57 in my area. My plan is to work the first part of the incoming after the sun warms things up a bit.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,121 AG
    Lol.

I have found the same as above, the fishing dies in the cold for saltwater, some of the best bass fishing of my life has been in the cold, during the cold front, and then shuts down for a few days after. I guess it's because the pressure changes to high before and during the front, and then low after.

You have it backwards.... Pressure is high AFTER the front.
    hence the expression " High Bluebird skies"
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »

Thanks duckman.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Psssssss fish when you can and you will enjoy it a lot more... I fish in all kinds of weather and the bite doesn't
    shut down when it get cold... you just have to target the right gamefish during those time....

In fact my fav time to fish is during rain storms.... the reason being is because everybody leaves... except for the
    hardcore guys... and as far as fronts/moon phase.... I fish them all... now one thing that I will say "Tides" are
    more important than anything else IMHO... some places tend to be better during certain tides and to learn that
    you need "Time" fishing... :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • SullyKeysSullyKeys Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Everyone has had those days where the waves are ripping, boats rocking all over the place, no one wants to be tossed around like that. If i can get out safely and can still have a nice time, its a good time fishing for me!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,762 AG
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    :driver:
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • night crawlernight crawler Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Wow , great info from everyone . I just posted a reply to Big bend , Uptide , Ozello Red , with many questions , like this , for fishing help . :ooking for more catching fish locations . ? Thanks
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    They touched upon it but there is less traffic during winter fishing. Fewer boats at the ramp, fewer jetskis, fewer wake boats and fewer fishermen. If you can find it live bait works better in the winter. The bait goes somewhere so fish don't see as much. Which should tell you that the big fish go there too.

Around NE Florida there are mud flats. The sun heats the dark mud and the fish go there. If you can get skinny it should pay off.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.