Help with vertical jigging rod I just had built

Need some advice on a custom vertical jigging rod I just had built from local tackle shop. I had them build me a spinning rod for vertical jigging using a 6' Batson knife jigging blank rated for 4-7oz jigs. The Rod is beautiful but not exactly what I asked for. The rear grip is only 10.5" long and I asked for split EVA grips, not full grip. They also didn't put a hook keeper on the rod which I had asked for. These guys don't specialize in building jigging rods and I should have done more research on specs before I had them build it. They told me they would use the same specs as a Trevala jigging rod. My question to any of you rod builders is this:
1. Is moving the reel seat up on the blank to add more space so it is more comfortable under my arm while jigging very labor intensive and a big fix for the rod builder?
2. How many inches do you recommend the rear grip and fore grip should be for a jigging rod (spinning) for someone that if 6' tall on a 6' blank.
3. Is this something they should fix for free being that I am not satisfied with the build? If not, how much money will this cost me? ( 2nd rod they have built for me and give them plenty of business).

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,325 Captain
    1- It would be easier to extend the butt than move the reel seat. Moving a reel seat is very labor intensive, and will destroy your guide layout (if it were done properly in the first place).

2- No right answer. Whatever is comfortable.

3- It's something that should have been done right the first time. I wouldn't have paid for it unless they had a very good reason for deviating from the original design. The only acceptable reason for a builder to do anything other than what was agreed upon by the two of you, is that components were backordered, and you wouldn't answer your phone.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,335 Captain
    A few thoughts... Item one - I haven't put a hook-keeper on any rod I've built in years and years (in the salt with heavy lures anything you hang on a hook-keeper will just beat the heck out of your blank and shorten its life). I've built my share of jigging rods (and rods meant for pulling hard on big fish at close quarters) and always try to keep the butt as short as possible. Any rod is just a lever and you're on the wrong end -the shorter that butt (and the shorter the overall rod length is...) the easier it will be on the angler with a really big fish on the other end... You may think you want to put the butt up under your arm while jigging -but I'd save that for something lighter. Me, I'd want the butt up under my belt (or in a rod holder belt of some kind). One of those big, soft Hawaian butt protectors might just solve that particular problem for you if it still is a hassle...

Lastly, a custom rod only has the definition it's given before the build occurs. Expecting your builder to be a mind reader is the cause of lots of grief on both ends - and NO it's not going to be easy to do any mods on an existing rod -all of that should have been worked out before the order was placed. The only item easy to change would be to add a hook-keeper (which I wouldn't recommend for reasons given above....). One other small item -I've always considered a split butt to be something for a light rod -not a heavy, full bore rod at all... If they didn't do what you asked them to do, why did you take the rod at all?

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I long ago quit building rods for anyone other than myself...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    He's talking about a rod built for vertical jigging. I've never seen one built with a butt shorter than 14". Rysher builds some of the nicest jigging rods you're likely to ever see, and he's a regular here on the forum. He would be a good guy to talk to about issues with your build.
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 501 Officer
    Good feedback guys. I can see how the hook guard could be problematic when you're underway and the jig is banging against the epoxy on your blank. I have a rubber gimbal on the rod which adds a little length to the butt section.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,335 Captain
    Since I'm an old school "deep-jigger" my standards may be a bit different but long before "vertical jigging" and butterfly jigs there were many, many light tackle club anglers working big bucktail and worm jigs (from one ounce up to around six ounces without the big plastic worm or whole ballyhoo) vertically in 100 to 300 feet of water and taking our share of ten to one fish (that's a fish ten times heavier than the line you're using....). I went and pulled a few rods from the rack and did a bit of measuring - the absolutely heaviest 20lb spinner I have (built on a seven foot blank rated at 20 to 40lbs) has a butt section, including butt cap that's not quite 8" long.. The next heaviest is a 15lb spinner built on a 6.5' blank rated for 15 to 30lb line the butt on it is 1/4" shorter... We routinely beat big fish up to and over 300 lbs in the shallows (I long ago left bluewater since I couldn't afford to keep two boats...) mostly sharks and saws with those same two rods -and I'll use them for tarpon as big as they get (and we'll be doing a bit of that on Tuesday...).

Once I verified just how short my own heavy spinner's butts are I pulled the only commercially built rod that I use much -it's a Hopper rod, 6', rated at 20 to 50lb line and it does have a butt nearly 14" long... My own "monster rod" is built up on a 6' Sabre, Grafast blank rated at 30 to 80lb line (me, I think it's the ultimate 30lb standup rod...). The butt I built on it is a hair under 12" (and that's with the buttcap over the Aftco gymbal.... I still maintain that the longer the butt -the harder it is on the angler when you've got to go toe to toe with something really big and cranky... The "Hawaian style" butt that I was referring to is called a "cush-it rod butt protector" and can be found on page 31 of the current Capt Harry's catalogue -it's nearly six inches long (and looks to extend your butt by at least an inch) and pretty much eliminates the need for a rod belt at all.... I'm seeing them more and more on one TV show or other but I've never used them myself and none of my anglers has ever brought one aboard....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    The introduction of braid changed vertical jigging dramatically Bob. Most of the guys I know that do it regularly use 80lb hollow core on reels that can handle a sustained load greater than 30lbs for extended periods of time. With a short butt, you're talking about serious pain or worse. Cradling the rod in your armpit will save your kidneys.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 380 Deckhand
    MH79 wrote: »

1. Is moving the reel seat up on the blank to add more space so it is more comfortable under my arm while jigging very labor intensive and a big fix for the rod builder?
    2 ways to do it:
    a. extend the rod from the butt to the legnth that you want.
    b. strip the rod and redo the measurement.

b is more labor extensive than a.

2. How many inches do you recommend the rear grip and fore grip should be for a jigging rod (spinning) for someone that if 6' tall on a 6' blank.
    depends on your arm.
    japanese/asian style jigging rods have an average length of 18inches.
    australian/new zeland jigging rods have an average lenght of 21-22inches.

3. Is this something they should fix for free being that I am not satisfied with the build? If not, how much money will this cost me? ( 2nd rod they have built for me and give them plenty of business).should've mentioned it when you first picked it up.
    some rod builders will fix it for free some wont.
    you need to talk this over with the builder and come to an agreement.
    the builder can not work for free but you can't also pay full price.
    need to meet in the middle.

now, there are different types of vertical jigging, there's squidding, mechanical, yoyo'ing, speed, slow pitch and bouncing a bucktail of the bottom jigging.since bob is bottom bouncing bucktail and his grips are short, it doesnt mean your grips have to be short. since you opted for a batson knife jig blank i would assume you are doing speed jigging. the standard rear grip length for speed jigging rod is the the length from your elbow to your palm plus 1-3inches - also dependent on how you hold the rod when fighting a fish. this so the butt cap, is not under your armpit when you are speed jigging.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    :fishing
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    I'm with Bob on using a rod jock and a short butt any day. I used to do a lot of jigging in deep water also with the 8-16 ounce bullet jigs and pulled plenty of black bellies that probably would have rocked me had I been under arming it. Checked all my old rebuilt ( by me )Kunnans and none have over 11" butts.
    I guess it's what ever your comfortable with.
  • rysherrysher Posts: 380 Deckhand
    saltybum wrote: »
    I'm with Bob on using a rod jock and a short butt any day. I used to do a lot of jigging in deep water also with the 8-16 ounce bullet jigs and pulled plenty of black bellies that probably would have rocked me had I been under arming it. Checked all my old rebuilt ( by me )Kunnans and none have over 11" butts.
    I guess it's what ever your comfortable with.
    welcome to the present, vertical jigging with butt grip more than 11"

1450082_1571752713054506_3304025305883744859_n.jpg?oh=a50111a7f224d7bfe3c51f9ebdeaa5f9&oe=5520E97D

10411951_10154229691005385_2594058725167407421_n.jpg?oh=65ef249fb2db4290d7949aaaac8a8767&oe=5565D2E7&__gda__=1431601538_de3caaa095a5c0c3a72be4e6febef8ad

10441375_10154229694365385_1458057098139708349_n.jpg?oh=efa371016223b1db9b64f680a2b0bf3f&oe=555815E2

10402563_10154229695665385_2503586472495120348_n.jpg?oh=c0cf47394f4b9a00f1e27e92b928e6f2&oe=555A1B49

10351842_10154229692635385_5510522146095778331_n.jpg?oh=abd40db1c3d78c91dc580bfb9d2082d8&oe=55594323
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    Looks like work to me.